Fallen Off The Diabetes Wagon!

AmandaAnne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate abuse of any kind to humans or animals. I dislike judgmental people and people who are generally unkind, inconsiderate and have problems understanding the issues faced by others. I hate snakes!!! Cringe if I smell TCP!! and I cannot bare garlic!!
Hello all,
Sorry I've not been about for a week or two but lots happening in life that's keeping me on my toes and busy!

I have, once again, fallen off the wagon!!

I've stopped trying to loose weight too, I feel like I've just had enough of it all and am burned out with it.

I'm trying not to be too naughty, but I'm finding it really hard right now.

If anyone has any advice on how best it is to handle this, I would be ever so grateful.

Also, if it's alright I have a couple of questions.

1) I have just got my HBA1c results back, the figure is 54, is that a good result please?

2) My blood pressure keeps dropping, I have spells of dizziness, lightheaded and feeling very nauseous, my lowest blood pressure was 99/59 my highest is 111/61. Is this still alright? and is it the heat that may be causing it please?

I'm finding it really difficult to cope with the heat this year, it's making me feel very unwell, last Sunday, I spent the entire day in bed as I felt so rough, what is the best way to handle the heat if you're diabetic please?

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
we all fall of the waggon from time to time its only natural so dont be to hard on yourself there, you can always try again tommorow with something small dont give up xx

Reactions: 2 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your blood pressure sounds perfect. If I can get the link to work this is a chart to show the ranges it should be in.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Bloodpressurechart

I suffer in the heat, my best advise, if you could afford it, is to get a portable air con unit, a proper one not one of the evaporative ones. We got one about 12-15 years ago and while it may only get used a couple of weeks each year it really helps during that time. It may only keep one room cool but as we have it in the bedroom at least we can get to sleep which really helps. It only normally needs to be on for a few hours in the evening so isn't too expensive to run either. I live in the UK and everyone looks astonished when I mention we have an aircon unit, but after several warm nights when they can't sleep the looks change to envy.

Alternatively some old tips, if you can try hanging wet towels at the windows which should help cool the air coming in. If you don't mind wandering around the house in a damp T shirt that can help as can damp towels laid over you.

Fortunately the weather in the UK is supposed to cool this weekend, I may be one of the few people thankful to see an end to this hot snap.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Is that your first HbA1c? 54 is not that high, shouldn't be too hard to get it back to prediabetic levels at 47ish, eventually to normal levels below 42 or so. But stay on that wagon!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is why I get worried when people tie their weight loss and diabetes control together - then beat themselves up when they don't lose weight and it becomes a cycle. Forget about the weight and concentrate purely on your BG control - that's the part of the equation that is most important, IMO.

Reactions: 7 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is why I get worried when people tie their weight loss and diabetes control together - then beat themselves up when they don't lose weight and it becomes a cycle. Forget about the weight and concentrate purely on your BG control - that's the part of the equation that is most important, IMO.
The trouble is extra weight often affects BG. I have tackled my weight loss and Diabetes control together and have been successful so far. I've lost 6st 10lb and my last HbA1c was in the normal range. I used LCHF and myfitnesspal.
Luckily, I haven't put weight back in at any time. At worst I have stayed the same. It doesn't bother me when that happens because I have the comfort if knowing that my BG is fine - that keeps me on the straight and narrow.
Having said all that, I have fallen off a wagon too - the testing wagon. I was I'll a few weeks ago and sent home from work. I was under a lot of pressure at work and all consumed with controlling my weight and diabetes. Had a couple of panic attics and anxiety issues. My strips ran out so I decided not to replace them. So, whilst I've kept to my LCHF and calorie control and almost daily exercise regime, I haven't tested. I'll get back to it in a week or so because now school is out I'm feeling better.
I think I fell off a small wagon, so I feel ok, if a tinsy bit guilty. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The trouble is extra weight often affects BG. I have tackled my weight loss and Diabetes control together and have been successful so far. I've lost 6st 10lb and my last HbA1c was in the normal range. I used LCHF and myfitnesspal.
Luckily, I haven't put weight back in at any time. At worst I have stayed the same. It doesn't bother me when that happens because I have the comfort if knowing that my BG is fine - that keeps me on the straight and narrow.
Having said all that, I have fallen off a wagon too - the testing wagon. I was I'll a few weeks ago and sent home from work. I was under a lot of pressure at work and all consumed with controlling my weight and diabetes. Had a couple of panic attics and anxiety issues. My strips ran out so I decided not to replace them. So, whilst I've kept to my LCHF and calorie control and almost daily exercise regime, I haven't tested. I'll get back to it in a week or so because now school is out I'm feeling better.

I fell off the wagon too, and have been lying in the road since! Just getting back up, but have gained a lot of weight even though my b g has stayed ok.
As I became diabetic when I was very obese, I don't want to head that way again.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get what @peacetrain and @Pipp are saying, but we're all individual and if someone falls off the diet wagon once then it's seems pointless to continue on the same road without changing something. I've been reading various diabetes forums for a few years now and it seems to be a fairly common pattern - and it is often the same people posting the same message at regular intervals. I hope the OP doesn't become one of those people.

Weight can contribute to BG issues, but it's not the only factor and hopefully if the BG is controlled, eventually weight loss will follow. But I think focussing on diet and exercise can be problematic for some people - almost a distraction from the major issue which is BG control. We also have to find a strategy for ourselves that is going to be sustainable for life and losing a certain amount of weight within a certain timetable can put a lot of internal pressure on someone, especially if they're struggling to come to terms with the diagnosis and the disease management. Diet and exercise are definitely part of that, but it seems to me that maybe for some people they're putting their energy and emphasis on the less important part of the equation. If it works for you, great - but if it doesn't, just trying to "tough it out" is not necessarily the best strategy for everybody.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get what @peacetrain and @Pipp are saying, but we're all individual and if someone falls off the diet wagon once then it's seems pointless to continue on the same road without changing something. I've been reading various diabetes forums for a few years now and it seems to be a fairly common pattern - and it is often the same people posting the same message at regular intervals. I hope the OP doesn't become one of those people.

Weight can contribute to BG issues, but it's not the only factor and hopefully if the BG is controlled, eventually weight loss will follow. But I think focussing on diet and exercise can be problematic for some people - almost a distraction from the major issue which is BG control. We also have to find a strategy for ourselves that is going to be sustainable for life and losing a certain amount of weight within a certain timetable can put a lot of internal pressure on someone, especially if they're struggling to come to terms with the diagnosis and the disease management. Diet and exercise are definitely part of that, but it seems to me that maybe for some people they're putting their energy and emphasis on the less important part of the equation. If it works for you, great - but if it doesn't, just trying to "tough it out" is not necessarily the best strategy for everybody.
Thank you @Indy51
I understand what you mean, but for some of us the weight gain is the "final straw" in the diabetes equation. I think it is mainly those who have the highest weights that falling off the wagon does the most damage to. I know that I was pre-disposed to diabetes due to the genetics, but the tipping point was massive weight gain. There is usually a psychological element in the relationship with food that causes these falls, but they sneak up unexpectedly. I have heard it described as 'comfort eating'. It is not comforting to eat this way. I see it as punishment eating. Something triggers this, and I am taking a risk saying this because for me the last trigger was something from other posters on this forum.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

Hopefully you'll have time to recharge! My visible sign of stress is dermatitis all around my neck! Looks fab (not). Even though the weather is scorching it has almost disappeared into the 2nd day of the hols. My timetable is too light and we have been asked to teach other things. I said I didn't mind but really struggle with maths and science so they've given me....... Maths. Good job I've got a friend who has a friend who is a maths teacher as I cannot decipher their scheme of work. Just learnt that integer means whole number. Plateauing at mo as well. I eat LCHF - out of curiosity what do you eat as you have been more successful than me and I need to lose another 3 stone!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Weight can contribute to BG issues, but it's not the only factor and hopefully if the BG is controlled, eventually weight loss will follow. But I think focussing on diet and exercise can be problematic for some people - almost a distraction from the major issue which is BG control. We also have to find a strategy for ourselves that is going to be sustainable for life and losing a certain amount of weight within a certain timetable can put a lot of internal pressure on someone, especially if they're struggling to come to terms with the diagnosis and the disease management. Diet and exercise are definitely part of that, but it seems to me that maybe for some people they're putting their energy and emphasis on the less important part of the equation. If it works for you, great - but if it doesn't, just trying to "tough it out" is not necessarily the best strategy for

everybody.

I don't think I said my way was the best way. I was replying to a poster who felt controlling BG was more important than weight loss. I was trying to make the point that for overweight diabetics the two often go hand on hand. Not everyone is the same though. I totally understand the feeling of failure when a weight loss diet falters. It happened to me several times before I developed diabetes. I have said before, diabetes has been a blessing in disguise for me personally.
As a diabetic I don't feel I will fall of the healthy eating wagon because fear of complications drives me. Of course, it's early days for me but I hope I don't give up. As for losing weight in a certain time frame , that would be silly and not what I'm doing.
Sorry iffy post misled.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't think I said my way was the best way. I was replying to a poster who felt controlling BG was more important than weight loss. I was trying to make the point that for overweight diabetics the two often go hand on hand. Not everyone is the same though. I totally understand the feeling of failure when a weight loss diet falters. It happened to me several times before I developed diabetes. I have said before, diabetes has been a blessing in disguise for me personally.
As a diabetic I don't feel I will fall of the healthy eating wagon because fear of complications drives me. Of course, it's early days for me but I hope I don't give up. As for losing weight in a certain time frame , that would be silly and not what I'm doing.
Sorry iffy post misled.

The complications thing is also a great motivator for me too! My aunt was on meds and has increased in size following the carbs with every meal and has now progressed to insulin. Sometimes I get miffed when I fancy a glass if wine but shouldn't. Like last night! I still maintain it's an insidious illness as that one biscuit often has no feeling of impact but then 1 biscuit (or costa strawberry and cream cooler @dianagrace ) leads to another, then another etc. never mind @Pipp and Diana, when we're 10 stone we can strut our stuff and show these youngsters how it's done. I am watching obese: a year to save my life on sky living at the mo for all the wrong reasons! Would be quite happy to volunteer if I could have the yummy Jessie Pavelka as my coach. Does this make me a cougar? :D:hilarious:

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully you'll have time to recharge! My visible sign of stress is dermatitis all around my neck! Looks fab (not). Even though the weather is scorching it has almost disappeared into the 2nd day of the hols. My timetable is too light and we have been asked to teach other things. I said I didn't mind but really struggle with maths and science so they've given me....... Maths. Good job I've got a friend who has a friend who is a maths teacher as I cannot decipher their scheme of work. Just learnt that integer means whole number. Plateauing at mo as well. I eat LCHF - out of curiosity what do you eat as you have been more successful than me and I need to lose another 3 stone!
Sorry about your work situation.
I know you've mentioned before that you don't calorie count. I do count calories with the support of myfitnesspal it's not a problem. From November to February I cut out most fat and lived off stir fries and salad with salmon or mackerel. That was because of the cholesterol fear. I joined here in February and began low carbing. Now I eat a lot of cheese, fish, nuts, eggs. I have linseed and ground almonds. Also stir fries and salads. No potato, rice, pasta. Only 3 slices burgen bread a week but sometimes none. I'm a bit boring with the menu, especially when I'm busy at work. The linseed with sesame and blueberries in it is nice in yoghurt or fromage frais. My favourite breakfast is a huge pancake:
2 eggs
30-50g yoghurt/fromage frais
10-20g of and milled linseed combo
10-15g ground almonds
30-50g grated cheddar or mozarella

Mix together and put in pan etc. I don't always have the almonds or linseed but they aren't necessary.

Something I have sometimes in the evening (but not if I've had the pancake) is a sort of quiche without the pastry:
Eggs
Yoghurt
Cheese (cheddar/mix/feta
Cherry toms
Quorn sausage/meat sausage
Veg of choice (could be frozen)
Ground almonds/ linseed - optional

Beat the eggs and yoghurt
Add linseed/ almonds if used
Add everything else

Put in a small dish (serves 1
)
Bake
Yum

Basic recipes that can be modified but I'm addicted at the moment.

Lately I've become partial to Hartley no added sugar jelly pots - raspberry is veggie. It doesn't say on the label but I checked with the company.
I get a lot of fluid on legs and ankles but if I do weigh myself it's in boots on a Saturday morning at 9am. By then I've been to the loo several times in the night and got rid of the fluid. (Feet up all Friday evening).

I try to stick to 50g carb max and I walk for between 40 and 50 minutes each night.
Some of my weight loss was due to the diabetes, before diagnosis.

It's easier said than done but please try not to let the weight thing get you down because you don't want that to defeat your long game, and it's going to be a long game. I don't have a young family or an OH so I can concentrate on myself. As others have said here control of BG is first. Just keep at it and don't let the ******* get you down!! You have lost a lot of weight. Be proud of that dear. You have achieved a lot in spite of lots of obstacles.
I'm not expecting to loseuch weight during the hols because I won't be as active. But I've got my head around that so I think I'll be ok. I'm 56 and I've been overweight since the middle of my teacher training 23 years ago. I don't thing teaching is a good profession for some. There are there are 17 classes in my primary school and not many of the teachers are the weight they should be!
Keep going dear!
Sorry for the long post. :)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I fell off the wagon too, and have been lying in the road since! Just getting back up, but have gained a lot of weight even though my b g has stayed ok.
As I became diabetic when I was very obese, I don't want to head that way again.
I didn't fall of the diet wagon or the LCHF wagon or the exercise wagon. I fell off the testing wagon. I thing work stress, no sleep and manically (or even maniacally) testing contributed to my being I'll. I don't think not testing has led me to cheating on my diet. I'll get back to testing in a week or so. Having a month off.

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Would be quite happy to volunteer if I could have the yummy Jessie Pavelka as my coach. Does this make me a cougar? :D:hilarious:

Blimey Scandi you've only just finished school for the holidays, whatcha gonna be like in 6 weeks time lol?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
One thing about falling off wagons, if we all post honestly on here about it then the forum can help you get back on.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I sometimes slip up and have a carb fest then feel rotten. It doesn't happen much but I just can't help myself. I figure I am human and humans slip up.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing about falling off wagons, if we all post honestly on here about it then the forum can help you get back on.
You are right @sanguine.

Majority of people posting are helpful. It does get confusing sometimes though when some posters want to evangelise about their particular diet regime. I messed up big style a while ago, and one or two people influenced that by comments encouraging me to see what spiked blood glucose. My own responsibility, but they did not help.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry about your work situation.
I know you've mentioned before that you don't calorie count. I do count calories with the support of myfitnesspal it's not a problem. From November to February I cut out most fat and lived off stir fries and salad with salmon or mackerel. That was because of the cholesterol fear. I joined here in February and began low carbing. Now I eat a lot of cheese, fish, nuts, eggs. I have linseed and ground almonds. Also stir fries and salads. No potato, rice, pasta. Only 3 slices burgen bread a week but sometimes none. I'm a bit boring with the menu, especially when I'm busy at work. The linseed with sesame and blueberries in it is nice in yoghurt or fromage frais. My favourite breakfast is a huge pancake:
2 eggs
30-50g yoghurt/fromage frais
10-20g of and milled linseed combo
10-15g ground almonds
30-50g grated cheddar or mozarella

Mix together and put in pan etc. I don't always have the almonds or linseed but they aren't necessary.

Something I have sometimes in the evening (but not if I've had the pancake) is a sort of quiche without the pastry:
Eggs
Yoghurt
Cheese (cheddar/mix/feta
Cherry toms
Quorn sausage/meat sausage
Veg of choice (could be frozen)
Ground almonds/ linseed - optional

Beat the eggs and yoghurt
Add linseed/ almonds if used
Add everything else

Put in a small dish (serves 1
)
Bake
Yum

Basic recipes that can be modified but I'm addicted at the moment.

Lately I've become partial to Hartley no added sugar jelly pots - raspberry is veggie. It doesn't say on the label but I checked with the company.
I get a lot of fluid on legs and ankles but if I do weigh myself it's in boots on a Saturday morning at 9am. By then I've been to the loo several times in the night and got rid of the fluid. (Feet up all Friday evening).

I try to stick to 50g carb max and I walk for between 40 and 50 minutes each night.
Some of my weight loss was due to the diabetes, before diagnosis.

It's easier said than done but please try not to let the weight thing get you down because you don't want that to defeat your long game, and it's going to be a long game. I don't have a young family or an OH so I can concentrate on myself. As others have said here control of BG is first. Just keep at it and don't let the ******* get you down!! You have lost a lot of weight. Be proud of that dear. You have achieved a lot in spite of lots of obstacles.
I'm not expecting to loseuch weight during the hols because I won't be as active. But I've got my head around that so I think I'll be ok. I'm 56 and I've been overweight since the middle of my teacher training 23 years ago. I don't thing teaching is a good profession for some. There are there are 17 classes in my primary school and not many of the teachers are the weight they should be!
Keep going dear!
Sorry for the long post. :)

Were eating similar things then. I make my crust less quiche with eggs, double cream, a tin of crab or 2 depending on whether I'm making it for 2 or 4. I also do oven roasted med veg in olive oil herbs and garlic butter and after 20 mins add cherry toms and asparagus and lemon wrapped in sea bream for a further 10 mins then drizzle the lot in pesto when it comes out the oven. Salmon is another fave.
Can't believe I've got to teach maths. No idead what a maths lesson should look like and they can't give me any prepared ones either. All of out language ones are on idiot proof slides with answers so even if you can't speak a word of French you can deliver the lesson. Infact, I had this exact situation this year and the guy didn't have to do anything other than turn up! Well, at least I'll be extending my skill set! Makes me more marketable as it's highly unlikely that ll have a job next year!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blimey Scandi you've only just finished school for the holidays, whatcha gonna be like in 6 weeks time lol?
You don't want to know! :D:D:D;)