Another Newbie :)

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning :)

My name is Sue, I'm 67 and was diagnosed with Type 2 at the beginning of this week. I'm overweight having put on 3st due to 'comfort' eating whilst I was caring for my Mum (who had Alzheimer's) from 2008 until she died in 2012. I'm single and live alone with my elderly cat.

I initially went to my GP about 6 weeks ago because I was feeling so tired all the time and thought I might have a thyroid problem. He sent me for various fasting blood tests - one of which was for blood glucose levels, as this came back with a higher than expected result he arranged for a repeat of the same test (again fasting). The repeated test showed a HbA1c result of 58. He is referring me for a DESMOND course but I'm unlikely to get a place for at least a month :(

My GP is reluctant to prescribe medication at this stage and so I am trying very hard to lose weight. I'm finding it VERY difficult as it seems most of the foods I like are on a 'no-no' list as far as Type 2 is concerned - even in very small diet portions ! Although I have lost 7lbs in the last 6 weeks (I was already dieting for cosmetic reasons when I went to see my GP). I can understand the thinking behind a low carb diet, but my problem is that I also have raised cholesterol levels so I can't fill up on animal products (fats) which, as fruit is also high carb, only leaves me with a very restricted diet of green vegetables, salads, chicken and fish !

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Susie and welcome.

Well done on your weight loss so far. If you want to control those blood sugars you will have to bite the bullet and cut down on those carbs I'm afraid. Carbs = Sugar as you seem to already know. Cutting down carbs means you do have to increase your fats and/or protein, but there is no need to go overboard with high fat, just don't actively avoid it. If you have a read about low carb diets you will see that many of us are actually lowering our cholesterol by eating this way.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. As others have said, high cholesterol isn't caused by eating fats as it's mainly caused by eating carbs and in particular fructose that the body stores as fat. Many of us have reduced our carbs but have proteins and fat fairly freely. This will reduce blood sugar and weight