Hot weather and extreme readings

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Normally my readings are 4.5 to 8, on Friday I had a hypo and needed help last night I was at 12.7, 3 months ago my meds were reduced to 80 gms of glic per day and until the last week I have been in my normal range, does the weather make a big difference.

Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
We're all different, but for me heat can make a difference in how good my levels are for me heat and elevation make a real difference in glucose control I was with my wife in Colorado Springs back in 2009 after we got married (visiting the inlaws) and my entire stay there I was unable to get below mmol 12 - despite taking 30 odd units of humalog and over 100 units of lantus my glucose levels just wouldn't come down into range. I learned that for me elevation with high heat (they where hitting 35+ at the time) meant my body just couldn't handle the two together. Didn't have as much an issue when we went back for christmast last year couldn't get below 8 but never went beyond 10 so better then it had been in the heat of summer).

Around here (toronto, ontario, canada) we've been having some heat of late (25+) and its not effected my levels as far as I can tell - i've been running between 3.7 and 6 most times of the day.

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
until the last week I have been in my normal range, does the weather make a big difference.

Yes. It's not so much heat as how your body copes with the physical stress caused by something you're not accustomed to. If the heat is causing you problems - such as problems sleeping, or you have problems coping with it during your waking hours it could be what's doing it.

That being said have you eliminated other possible causes? Have you made changes in what you eat and drink in response to the increased heat? Have you drunk more fruit juice than you normally would for example?

I wouldn't panic about one high - it happens to all of us sometimes for no discernible reason. But if the higher levels persist then you need to find out why and take action to correct the situation. As well as the possible causes I give above you might want to contact your doctor and find out whether it's possible that your medication has been reduced by too much?

As a general point in my experience many people don't rehydrate properly. When you sweat a lot more than usual and/or drink a lot more than usual your body gets rid of salt and other minerals at a greater rate than normal. This too can cause physical stress. You can get salt tablets very cheaply (you can also get sachets containing salt and all the other minerals but those are intended to be used for when you are severely dehydrated as a result of fever or diarrhea) but in fact a pinch of salt in a glass of water is enough to replace the salt you've lost from extra perspiration.

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks nyxks spoke with nurse yesterday and she needs a detailed report on imtake and readings last night I was 7mmol after a light dinner when I went to bed at 23.30 I was 11.7 mol woke up at 5.30 at 8mmol

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks gorrilla I have not been sleeping due to the heat so this could be part of it.

Seems quite likely to me. Have you got a fan that you can set to blow at a very gentle level (by which I mean a zephyr rather than a hurricane)? That's what I use - I have a very cheap oscillating fan that I've positioned to cool me down. The result is that I don't lose sleep or wake up drenched in sweat.

Handy tip. If your bedroom or any other room is very hot fill a bowl with ice and cold tap water and put it close to the back of an electric fan. Even better are those bricks filled with gel that you stick in a freezer as they generally freeze at -5°C. Whichever you use the fan will blow the chilled air into the room. Poor man's air-conditioning. I used to live in the middle east and used this technique a lot I still use it.

Reactions: 2 people

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Gorrillamark, just been to drop of my results to the doctor, had 80mg of gliclazide with my breakfast at 7.00, results are a bit better but still a lot higher

7.00 = 7.9
8.00 = 9.7
9.00 = 8.9

Will get a fan set up and see if that helps

Many thanks

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Gorrillamark, just been to drop of my results to the doctor, had 80mg of gliclazide with my breakfast at 7.00, results are a bit better but still a lot higher

7.00 = 7.9
8.00 = 9.7
9.00 = 8.9

Will get a fan set up and see if that helps

Many thanks
'

At least you'll be a bit more comfortable.

Have you eliminated other possible causes? You're not eating or drinking differently? You haven't altered your routine such as for example not taking your regular exercise because it's too warm?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi

Normally my readings are 4.5 to 8, on Friday I had a hypo and needed help last night I was at 12.7, 3 months ago my meds were reduced to 80 gms of glic per day and until the last week I have been in my normal range, does the weather make a big difference.

Thanks

Had to smile because I posted a similar thread a few days ago. Mine rise unfortunately. Some people go very low. That's diabetes for you! :confused:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting, pre-meal and bedtime levels have increased from the low 5's to the high 5's and 6's in this hot weather. There are no other changes. I sleep well, undisturbed, apart from one trip to the loo, for 8 to 9 hours, so it isn't fitful sleep. My problems are during the day coping with the heat. It just drains me. Drinking pint after pint of water too. Many of us Type 2's are having similar problems. You are not alone.

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No he's not alone far from it.

But to answer what you've said about how you're coping if you're drinking "pint after pint" then you need to replace the salt and other minerals that you are excreting both as urine and as perspiration. Particularly salt. Try taking the tiny amount of salt in a glass of water (you should only barely be able to taste it ) as part of your breakfast routine. Or eat a small amount of something salty one rasher is ample or take a salt tablet. I know from experience that hydrating properly makes a big difference to comfort levels and thus reduces the physical stress.

iHs

Another tip regarding hot weather and sleeping ok is to open up the loft door on the landing and create a nice down breeze from the roof.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No he's not alone far from it.

But to answer what you've said about how you're coping if you're drinking "pint after pint" then you need to replace the salt and other minerals that you are excreting both as urine and as perspiration. Particularly salt. Try taking the tiny amount of salt in a glass of water (you should only barely be able to taste it ) as part of your breakfast routine. Or eat a small amount of something salty one rasher is ample or take a salt tablet. I know from experience that hydrating properly makes a big difference to comfort levels and thus reduces the physical stress.

Thanks for the tip, which I will bare in mind. I believe I do consume enough salt in my diet - probably too much - plenty of bacon etc. In fact, bacon, eggs etc coming up for lunch today. :)

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not that I ever need an excuse to yuffle bacon - I'm in the process of losing weight so no bacon at present but have promised myself a "full breakfast" as treat for my upcoming birthday when I fully intend to fall off every dietary wagon going ...

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not that I ever need an excuse to yuffle bacon - I'm in the process of losing weight so no bacon at present but have promised myself a "full breakfast" as treat for my upcoming birthday when I fully intend to fall off every dietary wagon going ...

Hey! I have been eating 3 rashers of bacon, egg, toms and mushrooms several times a week as part of my low carb diet and have lost 3 stones!

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My fasting, pre-meal and bedtime levels have increased from the low 5's to the high 5's and 6's in this hot weather. There are no other changes. I sleep well, undisturbed, apart from one trip to the loo, for 8 to 9 hours, so it isn't fitful sleep. My problems are during the day coping with the heat. It just drains me. Drinking pint after pint of water too. Many of us Type 2's are having similar problems. You are not alone.
Been extremely controlled today things getting better going to have to do some excercise as well so pints of water it is and some salty bacon :D

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Had I realised that this site is actually a front for Bacon Addicts Anonymous I'd have joined years ago. "Hello my name is gorillamark and I'm bacoholic"

Reactions: 6 people

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sounds delicious definitely far tastier than the exante shakes and bars I'm currently consuming. Believe me come my birthday breakfast there's no way in hell I'm going to confine myself to just three. :)