new to carb counting help

emma08

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am taking my 6 year old type1 son away for a week this isn't our first holiday since diagnosed but it is out first since starting carb counting and am more scared going now being new to carb counting then I was when first diagnosed thing is we are staying in a caravan at flamingoland theme park we go every year and have always choose to eat in the restaurants more as more variety of foods to what you can cook in a caravan anyway I have only been on carb counting for about 2 months so am still only learning I have rang flamingoland and asked if they have a carbohydrate count on there menus as I know some places where I live have but they said none of the restaurant have a carbohydrate count I am now starting to panic as I know he loves having his pub meals when we there can anyone give me any advice I have a carb and cals app but am no good at guessing portion sizes and will look a bit silly sitting in a restaurant with my kitchen scales lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Carbs & Cals app is a good visual guide and should come in handy, you can get a small set of kitchen scales and you wouldn't look silly if you have to weigh out his food, just ask for a side-plate so you can do this with the individual items.

Failing that you could just roughly guess the carb content and err on the side of caution and under estimate for the meal, if his bg is higher later you could always give a correction dose. personally I would just buy some cheap scales and take them with you when you eat, no one will bat an eye lid as they'll be too busy eating.

emma08

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks noblehead think i might feel more comfortable taking scales and weighing it out my son is very funny about having his injections in front of people and makes me do it in a toilet cubicle so not sure how he will feel about weighing his food and am not going to toilets to do that lol but thank you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks noblehead think i might feel more comfortable taking scales and weighing it out my son is very funny about having his injections in front of people and makes me do it in a toilet cubicle so not sure how he will feel about weighing his food and am not going to toilets to do that lol but thank you

Get down to the restaurant early and get a table in a corner if your boy is self-conscious about injecting, he can do in his stomach under the table and no one will notice; toilets are dirty places to inject insulin but if he feels more comfortable doing it there then so-be-it. Just have a good time and write back how you all get on. Enjoy!!!!!!

emma08

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you and will do don't mean to be a pain but any ideas on good snacks?

20g is his limit anything over needs insulin I normally try and avoid having to do correction as he has 5 injections a day with out having corrections :( all though he don't care I still think I'd hate to even have to have 1 a day so can't be easy for him x

Hayley13

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I think if I was in the same situation I would take scales just for peace of mind. My daughter was diagnosed 6 weeks ago, we haven't started carb counting yet but I have got the carbs and cals app. Her favourite snacks are sugar free jelly, cherries and cheese and crackers which don't affect her bg levels much. How long has your son been diagnosed?

emma08

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Nearly 2 year hayley but am very fussy carb counting and even once it worked out and I know it's right I still check 2/3 times after, when he was on a fixed dose and a sliding corrections chart I was fine but now I just fuss about everything cos I don't feel confident enough carb counting yet and it don't help him being picky with his food he won't eat sugar free jelly as he always ends up with a upset stomach he funny about things as he always associates what made him feel bad before he was diagnosed for example the day be for he was taken to hospital and diagnosed he had a packet of jelly baby's and now when he's low if I ask if he wants jelly baby's to bring him up he'll say no mam they make me fall over and fall asleep. Lol he don't forget a thing x

Valaraki

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I know how you feel, my son was diagnosed 8 weeks ago and we have had to count carbs from the start. his free snacks are cheese, packets of cold meat, crisps, Little nesquik snacks, dairlee dunkers, fruit, salads (he loves a bacon salad!)
When we go shopping we are constantly looking at the back of packs for the cards, you will get used to it.
My son was also cautious about injecting at the table in a restaurant but he doesnt bother now, he is 12 right enough, and basically says "sod them, if they dont like it, tough!!" he is being amazing with the whole thing, more than I could ever be if it was me!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you and will do don't mean to be a pain but any ideas on good snacks?

20g is his limit anything over needs insulin I normally try and avoid having to do correction as he has 5 injections a day with out having corrections :( all though he don't care I still think I'd hate to even have to have 1 a day so can't be easy for him x/QUOTE]

Your not a pain at all and I'm only to happy to help.

I've always encouraged my children to snack on fruit when they were little (and still do) so apples, pear, orange or a fun-size banana is ideal, some fruits such as berries have slightly lower carb value depending on the portion size so maybe a small bowl of blueberries & strawberry's would be a refreshing snack. Other than that how about some oat crackers, Nairn's Cheese Oat bakes have 3.7g of carbs and make for a tasty snack.

Understand what you say about corrections but you can include these into the next meal time dose to bring down his levels down if they are high, speak with your boys diabetes team if your unsure how to do this.

Just one more thing, carb counting is difficult at first but gets easier in time, try practising at home on your carb counting skills, just plate the food up and estimate what you think the carb value come to, then weight it all out and tot it up and see how far away you were, this is handy for those times when you need to estimate the carb value of food, such as when dining out or going on holiday (as in your case).

Hope the above is helpful.

Just Laura

Hello Emma,

My daughter is also 6, been diagnosed for a year and a half. We've carb counted since the start and, over the time, I've compiled a long old list of lots of the things my daughter eats (treats, snacks and mains).
I saved it all on my phone using a recipe (index) card style app so it's all done alphabetically.

If you would like me to send it on, I'd be more than happy to share - though you'd need to buy the app first; can't remember how much it was though now.

Let me know. Either way, good luck and it does get easier... I'm also a bit fussy about carb counting but I'm sure it's worth it.

x

emma08

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha I never thought I would either am going to see if I can findthe app Laura and what ever the price if it makes me feel better at carb counting Am getting it lol i will pm you when I find it and thank you x

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
In a point system, 15 grams of carbohydrate equals 1 point.

Usually you have to round up or down using this system, and therefore, counting the actual carbohydrates is more accurate, especially if you're using it to dose insulin.

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm totally confused. If as diabetics we have a problem processing surgar, then why wouldn't we count the carbs we eat? Are docs thinking that insulin will cover everything? But a dietician? You need a new dietician. Too many carbs puts our body in overload because it can't handle the sugar thats why we count. The meds help our body to process what carbs we do eat. Because we can't live without carbs. We just have to be careful. Please do more research on your own and find a new dietician. And we are always glad to help.

Farah's mom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No need to be confused, you prepare your meal or your kid meal.. Count the total carbs, then take the half of the total points of insulin .. After you finish your meal take the rest ( if you had all your meal) .. In that way the insulin will cover all the carbs that you had.. I always use this way with my daughter. She is diabetic type 1. She is wearing pump and it's totally comfortable.