alcohol

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
They go up because of the amount of carbs in them. The alcohol will not do any favours to your endocrine system either. Take it easy especially in this heat!

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Certainly avoid beer ('liquid bread') and sweeter white wines. If you do drink, just have an occasional glass of dry white or red wine. Spirits are generally OK in small quantities, but watch out for the mixers. But test to see how you react anyway, BGs can be affected by all sorts of things, not just carb/sugar intake. Diabetics also often have other reasons (e.g. liver issues) to reduce alcohol intake.

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
beers, lager, ciders and sweet wines will all have an effect just as any carb would....

pints of most beers, lagers and ciders usually have 10-20g in them....

spirits on their own will have no effect on the blood sugar, unless mixed with a full sugar mixer or fruit juice etc....

after alcohol is consumed though, the livers normal production of glucose is hindered as its tries to get rid of the alcohol, so this can also drop blood sugar levels, which for medicated diabetics can be bad......

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I tested for the first time after drinking alcohol - I was drinking champagne before, during and after a meal (chicken, veg & gravy) and my bg stayed at 4.4 through the whole few hours. Dietitian told me alcohol gives you low blood sugar so you should eat with it.

Many years ago I did a course in fitness training and it always stuck in my head when we were told that 'the body doesn't recognise alcohol as a food so it produces copious amounts of insulin to get it out of the blood stream as quickly as possible'. Assuming this is true, could be why BG didn't rise?