Crumble for apple crumble.

A

AnnieC

Hi Rosemary I found this on Low carb recipes. Hope you find it useful:)

Plum/Apple/Rhubarb Crumble Cake Plum cake Ingredients:
100 g almond flour + 3 tablespoons ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
coconut milk / cream as needed
pinch of salt
sweetener
good pound plums/apples/rhubarb
for the crumb topping:
2 tbsp ghee
almond flour
sweetener
ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan assisted)
Beat 3 eggs until foamy - Mix in the almond flour and baking powder, stir in enough coconut milk or cream to give the dough a soft but still firm consistency; add a pinch of salt - sweeten to taste -
Line and grease the base of a springform pan (26cm) with baking parchment, grease the sides of the tin.
Press pastry into the tin.
Wash plums, remove stones and cut in halves, place plums on top of the dough and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Topping:
Mix 2 tbsp ghee + almond flour + sweetener to resemble bread crumbs, sprinkle over the cake and bake for 30 - 40 minutes.
Cover with aluminum foil half way through baking time to prevent the crumble from burning.

Eat with cream/home made low carb custard/mascarpone custard
Makes 12 slices = 4,7g carbs per portion (with plums, will be lower if made with rhubarb)
I always thought almond flour and ground almonds were the same thing this recipe says to use both

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always thought almond flour and ground almonds were the same thing this recipe says to use both
There is a difference Annie, this link explains it :)

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/02/low-carb-basics-baking-with-almond-flour.html

I make a crumble topping occasionally using 200g of ground almond 50g of butter chopped in, I chop it in until it's fine breadcrumbs rather than rub it in because this releases too much oil from the almonds, sweetener to taste and a handful of chopped mixed nuts for texture

Patsy B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetis
Must admit I have made an apple crumble a few times and omitted the sugar by using the sweetner candarel I used plain flour and it was delicious... but will have to try this recipe as it also sounds delicious <3

A

AnnieC

I rubbed butter into ground almond, no sweetener, put it on unsweetened apple with a little cinnemon, baked it till it bubbled a bit, and served it with double cream. I wasn't sure, but in fact my family didn't even notice the difference from the flour, oats and sugar version I used to make. I can't manage apple, but I had some of the crumble with as much apple juice as it had soaked up, and it was delicious.

Kate
There is a difference Annie, this link explains it :)

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/02/low-carb-basics-baking-with-almond-flour.html

I make a crumble topping occasionally using 200g of ground almond 50g of butter chopped in, I chop it in until it's fine breadcrumbs rather than rub it in because this releases too much oil from the almonds, sweetener to taste and a handful of chopped mixed nuts for texture

Can you actually buy almond flour in this country ...that liink was a US one so obviously obtainable there...When I asked about almond flour when I first joined here I was told it was just ground almonds

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get on line Annie never seen it in shops, personally I don't buy it as I only bake a couple of times a year, christmas and Easter usually, in my opinion if ground almonds are working for you then just stick to them, have found a link for some if you are interested

http://www.realfoodstore.co.uk/organic-ultra-fine-high-protein-almond-flour/

To add a little note to my recipe above for crumble, I always have a bit of the mix left as it makes just a bit too much for my crumble dish, add a little milk them squeeze it together to form a dough, roll into balls and flatten them bake in the oven for about 10 mins makes a lovely crunchy crumbly biscuit. I use these biscuits crushed for a low carb cheese cake rather than just mixing almonds with butter for the base

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello all crumble fans out there, what did I start, well never mind everybody has given me more ideas to work on, especially using up the extra bits into biscuits, wonder if apple juice would work to squeeze them into the little balls? thank you lovinglife, and you mention cheese cake, another fav, being a diabetic is such a challenge to find nice things that are not too naughty. My carer is a more crumble than apple fan, so will work on these ones for him to try, lol.
To all crumbel fans, what can we come up with next to droole about?? till than keep well and keep posting, ttfn

Patsy B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetis
I used ground almonds yesterday and was pleasantly surprised ...it was delicious and thank you for that tip about extra mix i did think there was too much crumble or maybe not enough apple laughs so will do that next time and make some nice biscuits as well, thank
you

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for these suggestions!!! I think I am going to try almond flour as my general solution to white flour ... now I just need it to stop tipping down so I can venture into town

Reactions: Robinredbreast