Hitt

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been doing hit training all week with 1 rest day, 30 mins a day. Was already active but nothing this intense or sweaty lol. Anyway, with an already reduced pump basal, and reduced bolus was having regular day/night hypos. So, decided to try no basal and reduced boluses only. Increased testing for safety. Results have been amazing, having regular post meal readings of 5~6 and staying there till next meal. Morning readings a little higher between 7~8 but, gradually reducing. see how long this lasts !!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 10 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Been doing hit training all week with 1 rest day, 30 mins a day. Was already active but nothing this intense or sweaty lol. Anyway, with an already reduced pump basal, and reduced bolus was having regular day/night hypos. So, decided to try no basal and reduced boluses only. Increased testing sure safety. Results have been amazing, having regular post meal readings of 5~6 and staying there till next meal. Morning readings a little higher between 7~8 but, gradually reducing. see how long this lasts !!

What's hit training?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
High intensity training

More of a low intensity gal! Lol!
image.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Been doing hit training all week with 1 rest day, 30 mins a day. Was already active but nothing this intense or sweaty lol. Anyway, with an already reduced pump basal, and reduced bolus was having regular day/night hypos. So, decided to try no basal and reduced boluses only. Increased testing for safety. Results have been amazing, having regular post meal readings of 5~6 and staying there till next meal. Morning readings a little higher between 7~8 but, gradually reducing. see how long this lasts !!

Awesome!
It's amazing how little insulin the body needs really, and according to what I've heard most type 1's actually retain a tiny amount of pancreas function - that could be helping you too. The body does need insulin (ideally in the form of a basal - even a tiny amount) to perform vital functions, but because you're injecting with meals you should be getting everything you need.
Can you keep us posted with progress? I would be interested to hear if your morning readings continue to fall and if so for how long.
Great job @brett

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, will do. Morning readings very dependant on pre bed readings. Pre bed have been 7~8, with morning readings not far away from that at all, not the 4~6 readings I got with the pump, but, even tiny amounts of basal was causing hypos. But, so far this is the only slight problem. Will be trying now to get my pre bed readings lower.
have thought since diagnosis, 3 years ago, I'm still producing some insulin, as I've always needed very low dose basals.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, will do. Morning readings very dependant on pre bed readings. Pre bed have been 7~8, with morning readings not far away from that at all, not the 4~6 readings I got with the pump, but, even tiny amounts of basal was causing hypos. But, so far this is the only slight problem. Will be trying now to get my pre bed readings lower.
have thought since diagnosis, 3 years ago, I'm still producing some insulin, as I've always needed very low dose basals.

very interesting, I find that the regular exercise of any kind keeps the basal needs much lower than others appear to need. With soemone like you I would have thought HIIT once or twice a week would be enough as you are already fairly well trained. You'll get much better effect overall by keeping the higher intensity stuff to about 20% of overall training volume at the most.

I'm wondering though whether the weather (no pun intended) has been having an influence? I was on holiday in Austria last week with walking around daily adn two decent bike rides of 80 and 90km and temperatures into the high 30's. I've reduced my basal from 8 units a day to 7 to avoid hypos after breakfast even with reduced bolus.

Like you I think I still have some residual pancreas activity though.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am also thinking the hot weather is a factor.

Currently doing 3 days on, followed by a rest day. After a week, amazing results on.not.so much weight reduction (which I didn't want/need) but toning every muscle in the body.

Reactions: 6 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
An update of this evenings results, noting yesterday was a rest day. Pic is **** but was as follows :~
4.37 6.3
5.47 7.3 tea and full bolus
7.55 8.8
8.34 9.8 pre work out
9.33 5.3
last few days the 8.8 would of been slightly lower, and continue to drop, so, I think the excercise effects was starting to run out this evening after a rest day yesterday. Still no basal yet.

Attachments

• 1406061588030.jpg
    1406061588030.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 250
Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds good, how does that compare with your MDI basal? I've heard it drops generally.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not been on mdi for about 12 months. if I remember correctly was on about 7 units levemir once a day. Was tempted to try mdi again but, more flexibility offered with the pump and better morning readings to start the day. So, by pumping a slight reduction in basal and a greater reduction in bolus amounts. I think because the way the pump delivers the basal, more consistent and accurately to the bodies needs results in needing less bolus also, as its not neededing to make up in any shortfall in basal amounts at certain times of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know everyone is different but i have always said allot of people are injecting far to much insulin or just what there doctors told them. (Do they have diabetes?)
I do allot of circuit / HITT training classes - a least 1 hour each session and if your not sweating your not training hard enough ha ha.

I have injected much less insulin after learning that the body burns allot more sugar than you think when training. I can eat allot of carbs 50g+ and already have high glucose readings 10+ then do 1 -3 hours session of class or weights and when i get home test and can be below 5 easily.

Then have a protein drink to pump it up again.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know everyone is different but i have always said allot of people are injecting far to much insulin or just what there doctors told them. (Do they have diabetes?)
I do allot of circuit / HITT training classes - a least 1 hour each session and if your not sweating your not training hard enough ha ha.

I have injected much less insulin after learning that the body burns allot more sugar than you think when training. I can eat allot of carbs 50g+ and already have high glucose readings 10+ then do 1 -3 hours session of class or weights and when i get home test and can be below 5 easily.

Then have a protein drink to pump it up again.

I did 3hrs + on the bike on Saturday, not HIIT, just steady. That burned 200g carbs on 1 unit levemir, no bolus at all

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jesus 3hrs!!

40 min is enough for me, I do my best and pushing it at that but usually do 15Km in around 40 min.

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Super!! What does your HIIT routine consist of?