Green tea?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Does it do what it says on the tin and does it taste disgusting?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What does it say on tin? I drink it, but mainly decaff version as caffeine does bad things to my anxiety levels. Be careful if you drink a lot of it- it's mildly hallucinogenic. There's a story by Saki I think called the Monkey's Paw which is about its effects. And an episode of Wexford. It is an acquired taste I think but one that is easy to acquire. Most teabag versions don't have a lot of flavour. The real stuff is a lot grassier in flavour.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
What does it say on tin? I drink it, but mainly decaff version as caffeine does bad things to my anxiety levels. Be careful if you drink a lot of it- it's mildly hallucinogenic. There's a story by Saki I think called the Monkey's Paw which is about its effects. And an episode of Wexford. It is an acquired taste I think but one that is easy to acquire. Most teabag versions don't have a lot of flavour. The real stuff is a lot grassier in flavour.
It's mildly hallucinogenic ...
eek.gif
something positive I didn't know about!
I'm thinking aiding weight loss.
Can it be drunk with a dash of milk and maybe a sweetener?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's mildly hallucinogenic ... View attachment 6110 something positive I didn't know about!
I'm thinking aiding weight loss.
Can it be drunk with a dash of milk and maybe a sweetener?

I suppose you could put milk in but I never have. Someone I know puts soya milk in it. I'd not use a sweetener nth. It's not really like tea. More like a cup of warm wet grass.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most health food stores sell Green Tea Extract tablets - saves you having to drink the ghastly stuff ;)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Green tea has mainly health benefits (Google for more info).

I've drank green tea for several years now and love it, drink on average 2 cups a day. Taste wise is can be an acquired taste when your use to drinking normal tea with milk and sweeteners.

I buy my green tea from Holland & Barrett, the brand is called Double Dragon and cost around £1.90 for 20 teabags, it is by far the best having tasted some cheaper brands and not liking them, just stay clear of Clipper Green Tea as it tastes like dish water.

Medusalight

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I drink green tea and jasmine and have for years since I was told it actually is capable of killing cancer cells, my family having a history of various cancers, anyway I now have three flavors I love green tea and jasmine, normal and green tea and grapefruit which now I am diabetic I have given up, but the first two are still good and I love the taste you dont make it to strong and dont let the water go orange its burnt then, you want it when the water is just turning yellowy green and the water is not to hot, I drink mine without any sweetner and the jasmine one especially is delicous. give it a try atleast twice first time your tastebuds wont be used to it but second or third you will love it I am sure.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Thanks everyone ... got some but the packet is yet to be opened!
Only because I have started ... half an hour ago ... drinking the juice of a lemon mixed with hot water to start my day.
I could never imagine me ending up doing all this kind of stuff!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My favourite green teas are by Nood and Java Republic. A bit dearer than some but better quality and taste. Most herbal teas can be brewed for any length of time but with green tea the bag should be removed after 2 minutes or the tea becomes bitter. I was a slow convert to herbal tea but, like most things, tea and coffee drinking is a matter of habit and conditioning and with regular use anything can become part of our normal pattern.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, I'm starting on the green tea today too! My personal reason is that it contains L-theanine which has a relaxing effect on brain and body. It's meant to cause an increase in alpha brain waves which are associated with being relaxed and alert but not wound up. They also reduce cortisol in the body (whereas beta waves increase it).....so now I've just got to be brave enough to actually drink some....I'll let you know if it works....:)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, I like the sound of not being wound up. And if it means being relaxed and alert instead, that sounds even better.

I think I'm going to have to try green tea again. I didn't persevere with it when Mr L had to give up black tea for health reasons. He says that he now likes the taste of green tea - but he would agree with you @noblehead that Clipper is weak and watery: he usually buys Twinings or Pukka, I think.

I'm still drinking Twinings Assam a couple or more times a day. Zing, zingggg .....! (Me being wound up by tea)

Yep, I'm starting on the green tea today too! My personal reason is that it contains L-theanine which has a relaxing effect on brain and body. It's meant to cause an increase in alpha brain waves which are associated with being relaxed and alert but not wound up. They also reduce cortisol in the body (whereas beta waves increase it).....so now I've just got to be brave enough to actually drink some....I'll let you know if it works....:)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, I like the sound of not being wound up. And if it means being relaxed and alert instead, that sounds even better.
QUOTE]

Hmmm.....well that's what the book I'm reading said. At the moment it's not working too well because I'm getting wound up at having to drink it! Yuck...Still I'll persevere for a while

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Green tea is vile.

I must have tried it 20 times, each time hoping I could get to like it this time... Given up now.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
20 times! Help.

Spread over about 10 years. I can never quite believe its as horrible as I remember (like childbirth, ;)) and it's supposed to be good for you (green tea, not childbirth! :joyful:).
But then is really is that horrible...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spread over about 10 years. I can never quite believe its as horrible as I remember (like childbirth, ;)) and it's supposed to be good for you (green tea, not childbirth! :joyful:).
But then is really is that horrible...
Well I've bought 3 packs....so I'm drinking it.:(