Few questions from somebody undergoing diagnosis

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Hi guys,

I have a few questions which I'd like to ask, I know you're not doctors (or more importantly, my doctor), but I'm interested to know your experiences. Thanks in advance :)

1. How long did it take you for you to get your initial results back. I have fasting glucose, A1c, FBC, U/E, Lipids etc done on Tuesday. I was told to wait up to 2 weeks for results, yet they're all standard tests and when I worked in a hospital these were all back in less than 24 hours. Never had to get blood results from GP before, is 2 weeks pretty standard?

2. My GP checked my bm on Tuesday as I have an infection which isn't going away, it was 7.9. BUT, I'd just returned (literally 24 hours before) from a 3 week trip to USA where I'd been eating and drinking completely different foods to normal, in bigger quantities, taking less exercise, lack of sleep, 40+C temperatures etc. The night before the blood test (12 hours before...literally) I'd eaten a carb/sugar heavy meal at a friend's birthday party. In short, I'm pretty sure those results will be skewed anyway. If it comes back that I'm in the diabetic range, do you think it's worth asking for a second test? Or would they generally do more than 1 test anyway before making a diagnosis?

3. Lots of my family members are diabetic and knowing I was at higher risk, I bought a glucometer a while back and tested about every 3-6 months (always in the 4-6 range, but were taken at completely random times), I haven't tested for about 8 months though. At the GP on Tuesday, my bm was 7.9, but since then it's been as follows:
Tues - 2 hours after dinner - 6.6
Wed - first thing in morning - 5.3
Wed - 2 hrs after banana for breakfast - 6.1
Thu - first thing in morning - 5.9
Thu - 2 hrs after banana for breakfast - 5.7
I know that;s a lot of testing, but I was just curious about what's going on and I had the glucometer and some in date test strips anyway...

Those results don't seem terribly high to me, but I left nursing 15 years ago and not too familiar with current guidelines. What are your thoughts on those values, based on your experiences?

Thanks for your time folks, appreciate it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Blood test results via the surgery will probably be back within a week. Yes, the hospital path lab can do it more quickly but most go via run of the mill process. I had an operation recently and my HBa1C was done in 5-10 minutes! Your HBa1C shouldn't have been affected too much by your holiday but ideally you would have avoided it. You readings are very good and would imply no diabetes or just pre-diabetic etc. A reading of 5.7 2 hours after a banana is excellent..

Reactions: 2 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's pretty much what I was hoping you'd say. The best I'm hoping for right now (based on my family history) is probably pre-diabetic...in either case it's the big kick up the @rse that I needed and I'm treating it very seriously. It feels like it's only a matter of time but I want to push that date out as long as I can!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The 2 week wait is probably to give your doctor time to see them and comment on the computer record before anyone gives you the results. At my Practice the results take 24 hours and are put on the screen by the path lab people, and are then accessible by the GP at any time after that. I think you will find that if you ring the GP's receptionist she will give you the results over the phone, or at least the basics. Certainly the blood glucose and HbA1c results.

Your HbA1c result will confirm if you are diabetic and will show an average of the previous 2 to 3 months, with more weight given to the previous few weeks, so your holiday may have a bearing but probably not much.

I agree your levels look normal to me.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
As with Bluetit, my test results at the surgery are available on screen in a day or so. Last week I had the samples taken on the Monday morning and collected a printout of the results on the Tuesday afternoon. This was HbA1c, full lipids and liver function. I didn't get to discuss them with the GP until the Friday (over the phone) and if I wasn't being proactive I might still be waiting.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for your responses guys. I've found out it takes a week before I can ring for the results, so I'll ring on Tuesday. My bg continues to be 5.5-6.5 mostly but I have been eating lower carbs since Tuesday...goodness knows what the A1c will be based on my previous eating habits! Well, it's too late worrying about the past now...just got to keep plodding on....

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How quick the blood results are returned and how quick they are available to you are two completely different questions.

The blood results are normally available to the surgery in 48 hours max. However, when you ring up you will only be given your results when they have been cleared by your GP.

jim

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get mine the next day whether GP has seen them or not, but there again I can be quite insistant. Lol

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

I have a few questions which I'd like to ask, I know you're not doctors (or more importantly, my doctor), but I'm interested to know your experiences. Thanks in advance :)

1. How long did it take you for you to get your initial results back. I have fasting glucose, A1c, FBC, U/E, Lipids etc done on Tuesday. I was told to wait up to 2 weeks for results, yet they're all standard tests and when I worked in a hospital these were all back in less than 24 hours. Never had to get blood results from GP before, is 2 weeks pretty standard?

2. My GP checked my bm on Tuesday as I have an infection which isn't going away, it was 7.9. BUT, I'd just returned (literally 24 hours before) from a 3 week trip to USA where I'd been eating and drinking completely different foods to normal, in bigger quantities, taking less exercise, lack of sleep, 40+C temperatures etc. The night before the blood test (12 hours before...literally) I'd eaten a carb/sugar heavy meal at a friend's birthday party. In short, I'm pretty sure those results will be skewed anyway. If it comes back that I'm in the diabetic range, do you think it's worth asking for a second test? Or would they generally do more than 1 test anyway before making a diagnosis?

3. Lots of my family members are diabetic and knowing I was at higher risk, I bought a glucometer a while back and tested about every 3-6 months (always in the 4-6 range, but were taken at completely random times), I haven't tested for about 8 months though. At the GP on Tuesday, my bm was 7.9, but since then it's been as follows:
Tues - 2 hours after dinner - 6.6
Wed - first thing in morning - 5.3
Wed - 2 hrs after banana for breakfast - 6.1
Thu - first thing in morning - 5.9
Thu - 2 hrs after banana for breakfast - 5.7
I know that;s a lot of testing, but I was just curious about what's going on and I had the glucometer and some in date test strips anyway...

Those results don't seem terribly high to me, but I left nursing 15 years ago and not too familiar with current guidelines. What are your thoughts on those values, based on your experiences?

Thanks for your time folks, appreciate it.
1. That will depend on when your GP has time to talk to you about the results, I guess. The tests themselves will be through in much shorter time.
2. I think jet lag will have greater impact than what you ate the night before.
3. Your results don't look too bad, rather normal in fact but it also depends on what you eat. Are your test strips within date? And not exposed to heat or humidity?

If you want to test and see how your body handles bg, test before a meal and then after at regular intervals. I test at one and two hours and keep testing until bg is back to baseline when I want to know what particular food does to me.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Totto, I did wonder about the jet lag thing and extreme tiredness since I'd just been travelling for nearly 24 hours. Will see what the doc suggests depending on what the results are.

I didn't think those results look bad, but that's me eating far fewer carbs than I would normally too...not low carb though. I did have some test strips still in date which have just been stored in a cupboard upstairs, so I don't think they've been exposed to too much heat or humidity. I've ordered some new ones though a couple of days ago and am just waiting for those to turn up. I did test before and then 2 hours after a banana a couple of times but I only had a pack of 6 test strips, so I've now run out. I do plan to do that though just to see what's really going on.

I'm going to ring on Monday/Tuesday to see if there's any chance the results are available. I was talking to a friend who's diabetic last night and she was saying that when her results are poor, she usually gets a call from the doctor's receptioninst within a couple of days, so I'm hoping no news is good news. Agh! In any case, I've taken it as a kick up the bum and I've already put into place some lifestyle changes.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told to wait till the next week as I had mine done on a Wednesday afternoon. I got a call the very next day asking me to come in so I would guess if there is concern they would ring you at home.

Reactions: 4 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Marieukxx I had a letter today telling me to make an appointment ASAP so I'm guessing something showed up. I'm not really too sure how I feel...I mean I kind of know what the result's going to be, but the reassuring thing is my bg this week has been fine now I've addressed my diet and restarted my exercise regime, so I'm confident that I should be able to be controlled with diet. Fingers crossed.

I'm trying not to panic but feel kind of alone. My parents are diabetic but I don't really want them to know because a) I'm ashamed (but trying to deal with that) and b) I know they will worry.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Marieukxx

I'm trying not to panic but feel kind of alone. My parents are diabetic but I don't really want them to know because a) I'm ashamed (but trying to deal with that) and b) I know they will worry.

You shouldn't feel ashamed under any circumstances but I would imagine you have inherited the condition.

jim

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Don't worry Loobles we're here to support whatever happens.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@Marieukxx I had a letter today telling me to make an appointment ASAP so I'm guessing something showed up. I'm not really too sure how I feel...I mean I kind of know what the result's going to be, but the reassuring thing is my bg this week has been fine now I've addressed my diet and restarted my exercise regime, so I'm confident that I should be able to be controlled with diet. Fingers crossed.

Yes I would expect it did show something. I care for my mother who has thyroid problems and she has regular tests to check it and they don't contact you if all is ok. They may have tried to ring you and you were out so sent a letter. Try not to worry, I've felt loads better since following a low carb diet.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I suppose I just feel guilty because I'm so overweight and knoew the risks. Work have been really good though. I went to Occ Health about the infection that wouldn't go away and mentioned the doctor thinks I may be diabetic. We talked about my weight and the difficulties I've had with it and she's managed to get me some funding for the overeating/binge eating...so I'll be getting some CBT sessions starting mid August. Talk about pressure though...since my employer is paying for it I have to be successful with it.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes I would expect it did show something. I care for my mother who has thyroid problems and she has regular tests to check it and they don't contact you if all is ok. They may have tried to ring you and you were out so sent a letter. Try not to worry, I've felt loads better since following a low carb diet.
I have been eating lower (about 100-120g carbs per day) of carbs and today I noticed I had way way more energy than usual. In fact I managed a 1 hour swim this morning and then went for a half hour walk this afternoon. I'm really motivated to make some changes quickly...

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt the same. I was always always very very thin and size 8 but that was because in my late teens and twenties I literally starved myself. I would cry if I put on a pound! I was obsessed. Then I suffered a bereavement and ended up on anti depressants and my weight shot up. My doctor would have a go at me. People I hadn't seen in a while would literally go "OMG You're fat now"! it was awful. I have recently lost two and a half stone but am still 13.3lbs. I've changed my diet and bought a treadmill even though I detest exercising with a passion lol.

Look at it as the wake up call you needed to get motivated and change your life. That's what I'm doing.

Marieukxx

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
And I would wait till you see your doc then tell your parents once you know for sure. That's what I did with my dad. He was very supportive even though he's been on at me for years to lose weight , telling me I could end up with diabetes like a friend of his did. He didn't bring that up and just said that we can sort it out. He even offered to buy my treadmill for me. Didn't want me getting second hand gym equipment. He''s taken me to my first diabetic nurse appointment and waited in the car for me for ages dear of him.