What are you having for dinner ?

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
I'm having shepherds pie made with fresh minced lamb fried with red onion then smothered in mashed sweet potato, with green beans a nice rich gravyn then strawberries and cream afterwards yum :p

Reactions: 2 people

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
lol your a bit ahead of yourself sharon thats tomorrows dinner :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds delicious Sharon, but it won't do your blood sugars any good! Sweet potato and gravy (if made with granules or thickened with cornflower) are very high in carbs. Try substituting the sweet potato for mashed cauliflower and cut down on the gravy.

Reactions: 4 people

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Another topping you can try is mashed turnip. I was very dubious at first and then discovered that I liked the taste then I discovered that I liked the taste even more when I added things like buttery fried onion to it and beat it through the turnip mash before baking it nice and crispy.

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
Instead of mashed potato I use Caulflower but mash in a small potato yummy

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
It sounds delicious Sharon, but it won't do your blood sugars any good! Sweet potato and gravy (if made with granules or thickened with cornflower) are very high in carbs. Try substituting the sweet potato for mashed cauliflower and cut down on the gravy.
Oh i thought sweet potato was ok but il take your advice on board , im going to intoduce cauliflour mor regularly into my diet too , so il try what you suggested,

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
Another topping you can try is mashed turnip. I was very dubious at first and then discovered that I liked the taste then I discovered that I liked the taste even more when I added things like buttery fried onion to it and beat it through the turnip mash before baking it nice and crispy.
sounds delicious

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
sounds delicious
Mashed turnip is a good alternative to mashed spud. So for example a fairly quick and convenient meal is:

• Make mashed turnip.
  • Chop up and fry some onions.

OR

• Fry some frozen veg - the cheap own brand soup mixes are good but make sure you use one with no potatoes in it.. Add Salt pepper & chopped parsley if you have it.
  • Add some mince - I usually use beef, but I've enjoyed minced pork and minced chicken and keep frying stirring all the while until the meat is fried and well mixed with the veggies.
  • Add the mashed turnip to the fried veg and mince mixture.
  • Bung the lot into a dish and microwave to get it hot again.
  • Brown under a grill or bake in the over.
An alternative that I love is to use tinned tuna instead of mince. No frying required and I love the taste of tuna.'

• Make your turnip and veggie mix as above
  • Open a tin of tuna and drain it
  • Stir the tuna through the turnip & veg mix.
Mashed turnip Keeps well in the fridge for a few days so I generally make a big batch for those times when I'm either tired or just feeling lazy. I've also frozen mashed turnip - it's not quite as good as freshly made when you thaw it but still very palatable.

Experiment with mashed turnip until you come up with proportions of seasoning you like. Once you've got a basic mix you can use the turnips in place of spuds. Do you like bubble and squeak for example? I've make it using turnip and like the result enough to make it regularly as a winter comfort food.

Last edited by a moderator:

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh i thought sweet potato was ok but il take your advice on board , im going to intoduce cauliflour mor regularly into my diet too , so il try what you suggested,
Sweet potatoes are lower carb than the regular kind but cauliflower is lower yet.

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
Sweet potatoes are lower carb than the regular kind but cauliflower is lower yet.

Had my sunday lunch had a lamb shank with mashed swede and carrots and green beans and cauliflour left out potatoes al together , i feel satisfied it was a tasty meal :)

Reactions: 3 people

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
Mashed turnip is a good alternative to mashed spud. So for example a fairly quick and convenient meal is:

• Make mashed turnip.
  • Chop up and fry some onions.

OR

• Fry some frozen veg - the cheap own brand soup mixes are good but make sure you use one with no potatoes in it.. Add Salt pepper & chopped parsley if you have it.
  • Add some mince - I usually use beef, but I've enjoyed minced pork and minced chicken and keep frying stirring all the while until the meat is fried and well mixed with the veggies.
  • Add the mashed turnip to the fried veg and mince mixture.
An alternative that I love is to use tinned tuna instead of mince. No frying required and I love the taste of tuna.'

• Make your turnip and veggie mix as above
  • Open a tin of tuna and drain it
  • Stir the tuna through the turnip & veg mix.
Mashed turnip Keeps well in the fridge for a few days so I generally make a big batch for those times when I'm either tired or just feeling lazy. I've also frozen mashed turnip - it's not quite as good as freshly made when you thaw it but still very palatable.

Experiment with mashed turnip until you come up with proportions of seasoning you like. Once you've got a basic mix you can use the turnips in place of spuds. Do you like bubble and squeak for example? I've make it using turnip and like the result enough to make it regularly as a winter comfort food.
Thankyou for these recipe ideas will try turnip as a potato substitute most definately.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Prepped some chicken this morning before heading in to the office.

Diced it, whacked some cajun seasoning and olive oil on and have left it in a tub to marinate in the fridge till I get home. Will be frying it with some onions and some sliced green pepper, yum.

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you have vacuum food containers. Link to amazon uk it's worth your while marinating in them. A friend of mine told me about this and I was more than somewhat dubious. But she lent me one of hers and a vacuum pump and to my great surprise it really does work. Even more surprising was that it seems to speed up the process a lot. IOW bunging the meat into your marinade about an hour beforehand does the job very nicely. Handy for impromptu meals/unexpected guests.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok. It's Tuesday now and we're having salad with some fried salmon on the side. May cook the salmon in a nut oil and put corresponding nuts in the salad along with french and broad beans and an oil and balsamic dressing.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i made my own soup with splash sour cream in and linseed bread i make still full 2 hrs on xx

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Just had roast chicken with salad. Really want some chocolate now tho. Will resist

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Why not have some 85% green n blacks ? Or even Tesco.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only problem with turnip is that it tastes of turnip!

:***:

I'm a mashed cauli kinda gal.

Like the idea of onions in mash though...

Reactions: 4 people