Diabetic Low Carber's I need your advice

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've also started to experiment with cheese as last week at a local restaurant they had on the starter menu 'Sliced Courgettes with Melted Mozzeralla Cheese' it was so delicious and it got me thinking of what I could have with melted cheese, so if anyone have suggestions for foods that go well with melted cheese then I am all ears for you.

Yum, melted cheese! I eat anything I can think of with melted cheese! When a salad gets too boring I make melted cheese like I would for cheese on toast, and then pour it over the salad instead of having toast. I throw some on top of veggies or homemade veggie soups,. I grill tomatoes with cheese and onion on top. If I run out of cream to put on top of berries....yep melted cheese....well you knew I was weird, right?;) (haven't tried it with sugar free jelly yet though......)

Reactions: 2 people

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
G'day. I've been away from this forum for a few years but started browsing again today. Your title got to me, because I have been following a lower carb way of eating for over a decade now, as a type 2. I should clarify that. I actually follow a low-blood-glucose-spike way of eating but that happens to be a lot lower in carbs than I ate before diagnosis back in 2002. I have no diabetes complications. This was the method I developed that has worked for me since then: Test, Review, Adjust

I see that money and parents is a problem. I am also aware of the ignorance of some doctors in both our countries of the benefits of carb reduction and of the difficulty in getting adequate testing supplies from some NHS doctors. For that reason, this may also help: Testing on a Budget

Reactions: 6 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the blogs Alan.

I've been a rebel since Thursday by having a takeaway curry with pilau rice, chips and naan bread, then yesterday to celebrate my 21st I had another takeaway which was a Chinese and tonight I will be having a carvery with all of my family. I also now have money; £1000 in a savings account of my parents and £400 inside birthday cards.

Also my parents are giving up on sweets, crisps, ice creams, biscuits and alcohol as they need to lose weight as well. They said to me that from Monday onwards, weekday evening meals will be small such as having bacon & cheese oatcakes or toast as they want to reduce the food bill down.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

I've been a rebel since Thursday by having a takeaway curry with pilau rice, chips and naan bread, then yesterday to celebrate my 21st I had another takeaway which was a Chinese and tonight I will be having a carvery with all of my family. I also now have money; £1000 in a savings account of my parents and £400 inside birthday cards.

Also my parents are giving up on sweets, crisps, ice creams, biscuits and alcohol as they need to lose weight as well. They said to me that from Monday onwards, weekday evening meals will be small such as having bacon & cheese oatcakes or toast as they want to reduce the food bill down.
Am glad that your parents are changing their diet and that you have got some cash! :)

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Please invest some of your sudden wealth in test strips :).

I think you will be reviewing the portion sizes of the foods I have marked. Being a rebel in this case is rebelling against your own body.

BJR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, but doctors don't always know what's best. I have proven that many times. They usually mean well but a lot of them are rigid and refuse to think outside the box.
Very low carb, no grains or sugar will bring down your BSL. I have successfully reversed mine by following a particular food plan and it has been proven clinically as well.
So called dieticians gave me jelly and ice cream in hospital!
By following the Dr Cabot program I have lost 9kg in 4 weeks and my BSL has dropped from 12.6 to 7.1 over the past 3 weeks without the use of insulin or tablets. I will drop down even more by sticking to the plan and not getting impatient with it or getting emotional as well!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Going off topic here for a moment but I've recently had a sore red patch under my arm pit and stings when I touch. I have been using a lot of deodorant recently and don't know if it might have set the patch up. What should I do?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

What exactly were you rebelling against, @akindrat18 ?
Hope that now you have some of the financial pressure taken off you you will be able to focus on a decent eating plan that will help you with weight loss and blood glucose control.
Then next birthday you will be physically and emotionally much healthier.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going off topic here for a moment but I've recently had a sore red patch under my arm pit and stings when I touch. I have been using a lot of deodorant recently and don't know if it might have set the patch up. What should I do?
Could be start of an infection, allergy, or fungal infection. Ask doctor, or go to pharmacy for advice.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be start of an infection, allergy, or fungal infection. Ask doctor, or go to pharmacy for advice.
Yes this is exactly what I was going to say but Pipp beat me to it!

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What exactly were you rebelling against, @akindrat18 ?
Hope that now you have some of the financial pressure taken off you you will be able to focus on a decent eating plan that will help you with weight loss and blood glucose control.
Then next birthday you will be physically and emotionally much healthier.

I was just letting loose on my blood sugars to celebrate my 21st with friends and family. As to my finances it has taken some pressure off, but i haven't been able to change my diet or get more testing strips since i took them with me to see the doctor. They are still buying snacks in and I've asked them to buy me some nuts and all they got me was salted nuts.

I've put some sudocreme on the area and the pain has gone now, but the redness is still there. I don't think its an allergy as I am not allergic to anything.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just letting loose on my blood sugars to celebrate my 21st with friends and family. As to my finances it has taken some pressure off, but i haven't been able to change my diet or get more testing strips since i took them with me to see the doctor. They are still buying snacks in and I've asked them to buy me some nuts and all they got me was salted nuts.

I've put some sudocreme on the area and the pain has gone now, but the redness is still there. I don't think its an allergy as I am not allergic to anything.
Sorry, @akindrat18 , but I think it is time you took a bit of responsibility for your own health and wellbeing now.
You told us on forum that you now have some money. You should have enough until you leave your parents home to return to uni. You have had lots of good advice on this thread, and there is plenty more on the forum. Go and buy yourself some healthy food, prepare it yourself, eat it, enjoy it, and show your parents and those of us following your progress that you are capable of taking control of your own destiny.

"Letting loose on blood sugars" is not really responsible behaviour for someone who has had the health problems you have described. Also, when blood sugars are too high people with diabetes are more prone to infection. Possibly the cause of your sore arm pit is the "letting loose on blood sugars".

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, @akindrat18 , but I think it is time you took a bit of responsibility for your own health and wellbeing now.
You told us on forum that you now have some money. You should have enough until you leave your parents home to return to uni. You have had lots of good advice on this thread, and there is plenty more on the forum. Go and buy yourself some healthy food, prepare it yourself, eat it, enjoy it, and show your parents and those of us following your progress that you are capable of taking control of your own destiny.

"Letting loose on blood sugars" is not really responsible behaviour for someone who has had the health problems you have described. Also, when blood sugars are too high people with diabetes are more prone to infection. Possibly the cause of your sore arm pit is the "letting loose on blood sugars".

My parents are now on board with me as they want me to lose 2 stone before I go back to uni and have paid for me to join a local gym which I am glad to, but they still need convincing on the LCHF diet. I also have a problem with snacking and need some ideas on how to deal with this and whether I should snack on nuts or seeds or both. I do know that letting loose on blood sugars was a stupid thing to do, I haven't checked my levels for over a week now and the prices for test strips that I've seen are ridiculously pricey as its £25 to £30 for 50 test strips.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look for the Codefree (brand name) meter on Amazon or eBay - the strips are very much cheaper and a lot of people on the forum use and recommend it. Other brand strips are often a lot cheaper on eBay too, but not generally as low as the Codefree ones.

If you go low carb, then you should be replacing some of the "missing" carbs with fat, and this will help you feel full after your meals. Allow for the fact that you'll probably have hunger pangs to start with while your body is still craving for its usual carbohydrates, but don't give in - if you scoff them you'll just be getting yourself into a vicious carby circle.

Robbity

PS Salted nuts are not all bad - you'll probably find that you lose a lot of fluid when you start to lose weight, so you need to keep up your salt (and potassium) intake.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I haven't checked my levels for over a week now and the prices for test strips that I've seen are ridiculously pricey as its £25 to £30 for 50 test strips.

Life is a matter of choices. Everything has a price.

Some you pay for with cash.

Others you pay for in poor health and misery.

Reactions: 3 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Hello Akindraft18 you are getting plenty of free advice.

My summary of diabetes/diet is there is plenty to argue about but;

A) Carbs is what sends our blood sugar high
B) Weight loss will always be related to energy in and energy out

There are of course other factors but if you get A) and B) right you will maintain a healthy weight and good BS levels.

If you want to lose weight then B) is where you need to look.

It is not political, so talk will not change anything.

Good luck

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My parents are now on board with me as they want me to lose 2 stone before I go back to uni and have paid for me to join a local gym which I am glad to, but they still need convincing on the LCHF diet. I also have a problem with snacking and need some ideas on how to deal with this and whether I should snack on nuts or seeds or both. I do know that letting loose on blood sugars was a stupid thing to do, I haven't checked my levels for over a week now and the prices for test strips that I've seen are ridiculously pricey as its £25 to £30 for 50 test strips.
What I find worrying about this @akindrat18 is that you are seeming to still be influenced by your parents. They want you to lose 2stone before you go back to uni? What about you? Do you want to? It is possible, but it takes work. Your work, not your parents'.
You have said in previous posts that you have to eat what they buy. Then you said you had money for your birthday. How about spending some on healthy foods for yourself and looking after your own food intake and your own destiny. You have had advice on testing strips, diet, exercise, etc. you have also got the attention of a lot of people on here who want to see you succeed. You are intelligent enough to have made it to the final year of university. Surely now is the time at 21 years of age to act like a grown up. Then maybe your parents will treat you as a grown up.
I implore you to spend a little of your birthday money on the test strips, some decent food, then test away, exercise, prepare your own meals and get your diabetes controlled before it starts to control you.
You know you can do it.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@akindrat18 - I rather agree with @Pipp. The thing about doing things tomorrow, next week, month or next uni term is that all too often those landmarks arrive and pass with no action. It's human nature. How many times have you heard of folks starting a diet on Monday?

If, and I do mean if, you're going to do something, do it today. I mean today. There is never a better time to change something than the today you are in at that moment. Tomorrow is just a word.

I would love to see you make changes and be more healthy and confident having done so, but right now, my belief in you isn't there. Prove me wrong. Please.

Reactions: 3 people

mpe

My recent visit to the doctor's was a complete and utter disaster!! I have not lost any weight in a month (except for a pound) and I stupidly decided to take my parents with me to the appointment as I wanted to discuss starting on the LCHF diet, the doctor just completely blanked out any thought or idea about other diets and said that I should just stick with 'The Diabetic Diet' and focus on reducing my fat intake.

You have difficulty handling dietary sugars so you should cut back on dietary fats. How does that make any sense in the first place?
Especially given that most approaches to reducing fats equate to increasing sugars, especially glucose.

I argued back with the doctor and told her stories of diabetic's sticking with the LCHF diet, losing weight reducing medication and becoming healthier. I told her to look at dietdoctor.com and she was still adamant that LCHF is still bad even with all the positive results.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/scientists-low-carbohydrate-diet-first-approach-diabetics might be a good link.

Then the doctor reviewed my BS levels and told me that there will be no need for testing from now on as they are generally below 10 (even though she saw one reading on 12.5 after I had my lunch today).

Another poster on here was concerned about getting between 7 and 8.
What do YOU consider desirable readings? N.B. not your doctor, not your parents,not even anyone else here...
Also consider that reducing your BG is likely to be more important than losing "weight".

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What I find worrying about this @akindrat18 is that you are seeming to still be influenced by your parents. They want you to lose 2stone before you go back to uni? What about you? Do you want to? It is possible, but it takes work. Your work, not your parents'.
You have said in previous posts that you have to eat what they buy. Then you said you had money for your birthday. How about spending some on healthy foods for yourself and looking after your own food intake and your own destiny. You have had advice on testing strips, diet, exercise, etc. you have also got the attention of a lot of people on here who want to see you succeed. You are intelligent enough to have made it to the final year of university. Surely now is the time at 21 years of age to act like a grown up. Then maybe your parents will treat you as a grown up.
I implore you to spend a little of your birthday money on the test strips, some decent food, then test away, exercise, prepare your own meals and get your diabetes controlled before it starts to control you.
You know you can do it.

I've started to take charge of my life. I purchased some test strips from my local pharmacy after finding out what my BS levels were whilst I was at the chemist and the chemist told me that I should go and see my doctor as he believes that I should be prescribed test strips and also to see if I am intolerant to carbohydrates. I went shopping yesterday with my sister at Morrisons and got mixed bag of nuts (almonds, peanuts and hazlenuts), natural yoghurt (not fat free), milk, frozen raspberries, smoked ham, bread, sparkling grapefruit & pineapple and mixed berry crush and some eggs. She was a big help to me and recently lost half a stone in a week by following a no sugar diet.

You have difficulty handling dietary sugars so you should cut back on dietary fats. How does that make any sense in the first place?
Especially given that most approaches to reducing fats equate to increasing sugars, especially glucose.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/scientists-low-carbohydrate-diet-first-approach-diabetics might be a good link.

Another poster on here was concerned about getting between 7 and 8.
What do YOU consider desirable readings? N.B. not your doctor, not your parents,not even anyone else here...
Also consider that reducing your BG is likely to be more important than losing "weight".

It doesn't make any sense, but that is what my doctor told and she prescribed me on orlistat. I would consider that below 7 too be ok for me, between 8 and 10 would be a concern and 10 + I need to get my levels down.