Sugar free drinks

A

AnnieC

My rant is about the availability of sugar free soft drinks in eating places.I have found that apart from diet Coke and Pepsi Max most places do not really offer any more than that. If I am eating out then I will mostly have a coffee, tea or mineral water but sometimes I do fancy something else in a cold drink but are usually told they only do the above mentioned sugar free drinks. I am not a cola fan so I would like a sugar free lemonade or the like sometimes but it seems that is just asking for to much

Reactions: 6 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to have an on going battle over this. Unlike you though I quite like Pepsi max but hate diet coke, and most places only do diet coke. The other thing that really bugs me is that. Any post mix drink costs about 10p a pint to make but charge anywhere between £2.50 and £3.00 per pint

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When you make a reservation ask if they have the drinks you want and if they haven't ask if you can bring your own, if they refuse don't book.
I often take forever ordering my food!

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree it's a problem. Sounds like a good idea to check what's available before booking.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Diet 7up is becoming more popular. If I can't get it then soda water and lime is good.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Annie, ask if they also stock Slimline Bitter Lemon drinks or Slimline Tonic/Ginger Ale, all are nice and refreshing.

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What bugs me is that pubs and restaurants don't do diet lemonade any more - so if you fancy a Pimms you can't have it because it is a double wammy of sugar. I don't order it a lot but is would be nice to have what is so often denied to us with Diabetes - choice.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I am considering carrying around a bottle of diet lemonade and asking pubs to use it for my drinks. I will tell them I ll pay corkage . Diet 7up is becoming more available in some pubs but not on draft. I hate diet coke.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have to agree with this it would be nice to have a bit more selection that diet coke/pepsi or diet irn bru. Its the same when on holiday more places the only real selection is the pepsi or coke unless your in american when they near enough do a diet version of all soft drinks

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have discovered oasis sugar free mini squashes that are handbag size. In a pub, I order soda water and put a squirt of oasis in (raspberry lemonade a current favourite) and bingo I got me a drink that I quite enjoy. As to the pimms dilemma- not sure what to do about that- maybe hassle oasis to bring out a lemonade flavour? Bit frustrating that pubs don't do diet lemonade. I'd love a pimms and not sure what ghis tastes like with soda water instead. Might attempt..

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Do they sell this oasis in stores as well as as would also like to try it?

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish they did diet lemonade in pubs so sometimes I could have a pint of shandy rather than ending up having 1/2 pint of lager! We went to a party in a village hall with a mobile bar where the only thing I could have (I was driving) was a slimline tonic at £1.70 a bottle!!! Luckily I had thought in advance and took some diet lime and lemon with me and kept popping out to the car. I told the people we were with that I was diabetic and the understood why I did this. I don't think pubs are /would be so understanding.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Annie, ask if they also stock Slimline Bitter Lemon drinks or Slimline Tonic/Ginger Ale, all are nice and refreshing.

Slimline Tonic has always been my drink of choice when out (if driving) . With ice and a slice It looks good and no-one can tell whether it has a gin in it or not so there are no hang-ups associated with it, and no fuss having to explain about being diabetic I've never had any difficulty in finding it, along with the other Slimline range @noblehead mentions.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I wish they did diet lemonade in pubs so sometimes I could have a pint of shandy rather than ending up having 1/2 pint of lager! We went to a party in a village hall with a mobile bar where the only thing I could have (I was driving) was a slimline tonic at £1.70 a bottle!!! Luckily I had thought in advance and took some diet lime and lemon with me and kept popping out to the car. I told the people we were with that I was diabetic and the understood why I did this. I don't think pubs are /would be so understanding.

It is about time that pubs and other places catered for the Diabetic then

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Slimline Tonic has always been my drink of choice when out (if driving) . With ice and a slice It looks good and no-one can tell whether it has a gin in it or not so there are no hang-ups associated with it, and no fuss having to explain about being diabetic I've never had any difficulty in finding it, along with the other Slimline range @noblehead mentions.

It is rather refreshing, as you say the Slimline ranges are good.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

That's an interesting question.
I've never thought of taking diet lemonade to a pub to mix my own shandy.
I've been ok with food in restaurants, when they've let me swap food I don't eat for various portions of food I can, or when they're dropped the 2 or 3 course minimum when I've said I simply don't eat that much.
Most places seem happy to accomodate diabetics, I'll have to try it.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to have to do that when we go to Turkey in Sept, we're going all Inc, I don't think they even do diet tonic only diet coke.

Went to nandos last week and they only did diet coke,, so I had water with ice. Recommend the ratatouile though.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
When I went to Portugal last year I bought 10 little bottles of diet 7up in duty free lol