Bygone days ....

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My local still closes from half 2 to 5 each day apart from Sat and Sunday, but most of the 8 pubs in the village (and there used to be four or five more) are open all day.
A village with 8 pubs? Where? I want to move there!

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my first pint cost me 1s 10d and ten no. 6 were a shilling.

That was when pubs were pubs, spitoons on the floor.
Wow, yes, I had forgotten that. Could get a round in for self and 9 mates and still have change from a quid.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad (born 1915) used to say to me he could have a good night out on 1/6d including tram fares there and back, plenty of beer, and 5 Woodbine. This was when I was trying to get more than 2/6d pocket money!

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My dad (born 1915) used to say to me he could have a good night out on 1/6d including tram fares there and back, plenty of beer, and 5 Woodbine. This was when I was trying to get more than 2/6d pocket money!
I am beginning to feel deprived. You are the second person to have had 2/6d. I only got 6d, and only then if I had done the chores such as polishing everyone's shoes, sweeping the hearth, and shining all the brass, including a letter box door knocker, door numbers and a fireside set. I'd usually missed something, so no pocket money.

Yes this is starting to sound like that Monty Python sketch!

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

My dad smoked Woodbines, we use to call them coffin nails and it turned out to be true for him, they were awfully strong and had no filters.

I was talking the other-day about Beachnut chewing gum, loved it as a kid and the gums now don't compare.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Stereo!
I thought that was the most amazing thing!
First one was a Dansette with a speaker in the main unit and another in the lid which you could stand six feet away.
I used to lie on the floor smoking jazz cigarettes with my head between the two blasting Abbey Rd by THE Beatles then Electric Lady Land by Jimi Hendrix and wow led Zepelin 2 where the sounds was really jumping about!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am beginning to feel deprived. You are the second person to have had 2/6d. I only got 6d, and only then if I had done the chores such as polishing everyone's shoes, sweeping the hearth, and shining all the brass, including a letter box door knocker, door numbers and a fireside set. I'd usually missed something, so no pocket money.

Perhaps you should change your name to Cinderella!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Perhaps you should change your name to Cinderella!

Love that sketch. What was pocket money? My dad use to say 'if you want something I will get you it when I get paid'. Rarely happened! Treat was a few penny sweets and a bottle of Heversedges cream soda from the local off licence.
My dad use to eat a lot of offal such as every Tuesday he would have hodge or tripe and such things as pigs trotters and mum would make soup from ham bones and loads of different veg.
Mum was not the best in the kitchen, but we had meat and two veg on a Sunday. Then my dad did a fry up of leftovers something like bubble and squeak for Monday tea time. Is it any wonder I am a picky eater. And when I married I started eating like a king. Because the wife can cook.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Love that sketch. What was pocket money? My dad use to say 'if you want something I will get you it when I get paid'. Rarely happened! Treat was a few penny sweets and a bottle of Heversedges cream soda from the local off licence.

My pocket money of 2/6d was when I was a teenager being educated. During all school holidays, including Christmas, my pocket money stopped because I worked throughout the holidays from the age of 14 right up to leaving college at the age of 21. I had jobs in boarding houses (Blackpool), a biscuit factory, a café, and from the age of 18 in a Bookies as a bet settler (fab job) in the days long before computers when we had to calculate the winnings entirely by mental arithmetic. Holiday jobs were part of normal life for all my friends, we just accepted that we had to do it if we wanted to have nice things like nylon stockings, lipsticks, records, and evenings out in the coffee bars and later in the pubs. Those were the days!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
My mum wasn't the best cook.
I don't think many were back then though but ... she fed us well with hearty soups and stews and mash n mince ... made a nice sponge.
I never went hungry ... don't remember ever really feeling hungry.
Mum and dad to busy working and bringing up kids to be learning the finer art of cooking.
I think most working class families around me at the time were the same.
Nowt fancy but well fed and looked after.
The important bit was ... I was tucked in at night and all was reasonably well with my world.

Reactions: 5 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Back in the fifties early sixties there were no fridges ... wanted some sausages you had to go buy them.
Veg was got in on Saturday ... I know cos I got to haul it home with my ever lengthening arms!
Bonus was I got to go to the library.
Shopping was done locally and more or less daily.
Walking four miles to the doctors surgery was the norm.
In fact walking wasn't a pastime a hobby ... it was normal ... imagine that!

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
@nosher8355 , excuse my ignorance but what's hodge? I'm guessing it's just a mixture of leftovers or something - is that where 'hodge-podge' comes from?

Where I live we are lucky to have two traditional greengrocers, two proper butchers (one which would pass for a charcuterie in France), two hardware stores, numerous bakeries. We do use them, but possibly not enough, and I wouldn't want to lose them. Sound like a series of Ladybird book covers (that reminds me, I have a few spoof covers of those, let me know if you want me to put them up ;)).

C

chris lowe

By where we lived. By the docks the docker drunk in the bar where no lady's were to be found, and there was no furniture or other things that could be thrown or broken when there was fights etc. glasses were thrown as a norm. Didn't visit the place very often!
Can't think why! I once went "oop north" in the 80's when husband was playing the working mens club circuit I took a friend with me and we stood at the bar in one club for ages before anyone told us that women weren't served at the bar. We had to get a member to get us a drink when we wanted another.

C

chris lowe

A village with 8 pubs? Where? I want to move there!
Emsworth in Hampshire, we've got Kings Head, TB (Town Brewery), Ship, Crown, Coal Exchange, Bluebell,Lord Raglan, Railway then there used to be The Milkman's Arms, The Seagull, The Black Dog (later known as The Smugglers) I don't count the Sussex Brewery although it's in walking distance it's over the border in West Sussex. Have to say Coal Exchange is a favourite, the landlord's a lovely guy and there's normally music on Weds and Saturdays, though you can normally find something on in one of the pubs most days of the week.

C

chris lowe

My mum wasn't the best cook.
I don't think many were back then though but ... she fed us well with hearty soups and stews and mash n mince ... made a nice sponge.
I never went hungry ... don't remember ever really feeling hungry.
Mum and dad to busy working and bringing up kids to be learning the finer art of cooking.
I think most working class families around me at the time were the same.
Nowt fancy but well fed and looked after.
The important bit was ... I was tucked in at night and all was reasonably well with my world.
My mum loved cooking but Dad was a meat and two veg man and didn't hold with that "foreign muck" so Mum & I used to cook together, curries, kedgeree, pasta. I especially liked Christmas time, she'd get a large boned turkey and then I'd go round to her with bowls of sage & onion, sausagemeat and apricot and peanut stuffings and fill the bird up, sew it up and cook it. I've only done it a couple of times since she died. Too many memories. Luckily my son seems to have taken after her as well and he loves cooking, so at least I know he'll never starve!

C

chris lowe

I always laugh to myself when I have lemon meringue pie. I remember mum cooked one once for sunday pud, but she put it in a flan tin with a loose base and when she took it out ov the oven, the bottom came kup and it went sailing through the air and splat on the floor.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
My mum loved cooking but Dad was a meat and two veg man and didn't hold with that "foreign muck" so Mum & I used to cook together, curries, kedgeree, pasta. I especially liked Christmas time, she'd get a large boned turkey and then I'd go round to her with bowls of sage & onion, sausagemeat and apricot and peanut stuffings and fill the bird up, sew it up and cook it. I've only done it a couple of times since she died. Too many memories. Luckily my son seems to have taken after her as well and he loves cooking, so at least I know he'll never starve!
Pasta!!!
Never heard of it.
We had spag bol now and then but it was made by Heinz.
The first time I went in an Italian place aged about 17 I was very confused ... didn't look or taste right at all!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
M
Pasta!!!
Never heard of it.
We had spag bol now and then but it was made by Heinz.
The first time I went in an Italian place aged about 17 I was very confused ... didn't look or taste right at all![/QUOTE

My first Italian dish was in a restaurant in Central Berlin. A proper pizza, not like the American ones. A real cheese and filling pie!
I was 15 on a RAf base in Berlin. The world in my eyes got frightening from that trip.