Newly Diagnosed

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"Eating what works for you"​
Most important sentence in the whole thing. Once you've got your blood sugar levels down and you now have access to the tools and the knowledge to do that. you can tailor a solution to what works best for you and get on with enjoying life and the new sense of well-being that being in control of your diabetes instead of it being in control of you will give you.

Reactions: 2 people

Mollycoll711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Child and Animal cruelty
"Eating what works for you"​
Most important sentence in the whole thing. Once you've got your blood sugar levels down and you now have access to the tools and the knowledge to do that. you can tailor a solution to what works best for you and get on with enjoying life and the new sense of well-being that being in control of your diabetes instead of it being in control of you will give you.
@gorillamark thank you

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Ive been told I have Type 2 and the nurse wanted to put me straight on medication but said I could try for three months by diet only but I am confused as there are conflicting things on what I should eat carbs with every meal or low carbs fruit or not fruit is the most confusing help. Is if worth monitoring my levels?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
This may help you begin: Getting Started.

Best wishes.

Reactions: 2 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Food is a pleasure - nature has designed us to take pleasure in eating. If we turn it into a chore we make life unnecessarily difficult for ourselves with the result that many people in our situation wind up either not improving or even getting worse. If somebody finds it difficult or impossible to moderate how much of something they eat - which is something I'm all too familiar with, they can forgo the pleasure entirely but that is very very difficult. OR they can work around it. I've outlined one workaround. I'll repeat what I said and indeed emphasised earlier:

Once the numbers start to come down you can start living ALMOST as you did before​

Sorry @gorillamark I cannot agree with this. Food is a basic essential - one of several essentials we need for survival - food, warmth, water and shelter. It is SOCIETY that has turned it into a pleasure and there is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is the choices we are faced with, and the choices we make.

Like @Bluetit1802 I'm uncomfortable with some of the advice you are giving here, although I have no doubt it is well meant

There are several of us, myself included, who have made the conversion to LCHF without any side effects. It has not been "hellish" for me. It has been effortless and highly effective. Meals have once again become a pleasure to prepare and to eat. After just 4 months of low carbing, my 3 month review last Friday proved a dramatic reduction in all my tests including weight loss and after being on Simvastatin for the past 4 years, I am now permanently off them with my GP and DN's approval and agreement

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Mollycoll711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Child and Animal cruelty
This may help you begin: Getting Started.

Best wishes.
So it is as important to check carb content as well as sugar and fat I am at the stage now where I am saying what can I eat but not so polite. I got a monitor and tested before and after meals and is is scary how levels go up and down and I am so confused with the right thing to eat. Perhaps I need to get your book thank you

Mollycoll711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Child and Animal cruelty
Well I got a monitor and scared the life out of self, I am so obviously not eating the right foods, more investigation needed, why is healthy food so expensive and the rubbish is cheap, so not fair
Thank you all for your help so for lots of reading to do.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I got a monitor and scared the life out of self, I am so obviously not eating the right foods, more investigation needed, why is healthy food so expensive and the rubbish is cheap, so not fair
Thank you all for your help so for lots of reading to do.

You need to remember you are paying for quality @Mollycoll711. and you and your health are worth it. Think of it as an investment in your future and your health. You'll be surprised how long a packet of butter, tub of cream and slab of cheese will last you and its pure, quality food. We've all seen what cheap rubbish food does to us. Its processed and full of artificial nasties which make us ill, sluggish, forgetful, and in some cases, unable to work.

I can only speak from my own experience, but within days of changing my eating routine and diet, my brain fog lifted and my energy returned.

This is a great time of year for buying fresh produce at Farmers Markets, or Pick Your Own farms. Quite a few posters here speak of buying good food from Lidls and Aldi, especially chocolate for a treat.

Its false economy to buy rubbish food. Remind yourself you are worth looking after and feeding well and your body will respond to how you care for it. Your blood sugars will soon start dropping when you diet changes.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Reactions: 3 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
So it is as important to check carb content as well as sugar and fat I am at the stage now where I am saying what can I eat but not so polite. I got a monitor and tested before and after meals and is is scary how levels go up and down and I am so confused with the right thing to eat. Perhaps I need to get your book thank you
sugar is a carb molly. just check carbs. Fat is fine just don't go crazy on it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Carb content is the most important thing to count. Ignore sugars altogether - they are included in the carbs. Every carb turns to sugar in the body - the more carbs, the more sugar, the higher your BS.

Good you have a meter. use it to test out foods then learn from it. If your levels are above 7.8 at 2 hours you need to look at that meal and amend it, reduce the carb portions or avoid them altogether. Good luck and keep us informed.

Mollycoll711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Child and Animal cruelty
You need to remember you are paying for quality @Mollycoll711. and you and your health are worth it. Think of it as an investment in your future and your health. You'll be surprised how long a packet of butter, tub of cream and slab of cheese will last you and its pure, quality food. We've all seen what cheap rubbish food does to us. Its processed and full of artificial nasties which make us ill, sluggish, forgetful, and in some cases, unable to work.

I can only speak from my own experience, but within days of changing my eating routine and diet, my brain fog lifted and my energy returned.

This is a great time of year for buying fresh produce at Farmers Markets, or Pick Your Own farms. Quite a few posters here speak of buying good food from Lidls and Aldi, especially chocolate for a treat.

Its false economy to buy rubbish food. Remind yourself you are worth looking after and feeding well and your body will respond to how you care for it. Your blood sugars will soon start dropping when you diet changes.

Good luck and let us know how you get on[/QUOT
Thank you @dianagrace I do pay for the better quality foods, I do not buy processed foods, I bought a mincer so I can buy fresh meat and make my own sausages or burgers safe in the knowledge that it is fresh and contains no cereals or fat, in fact I make a lot of my own meals never buy ready meals

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As I said - and others too, go gourmet. Eating better quality food and the right type of food for you will dramatically increase your quality of life. And by virtue of getting your diabetes under control increase your lifespan too. It's actually not all that difficult it seems a bit daunting at first because you're having to change long-established patterns of behaviour but once you get over the beginning hump (and that can be hard it was for me) it just gets easier and easier to the point where it's just how you live your life and you don't notice it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.