Prediabetes Stating and diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The whole debate regarding statins is getting quite heated at the moment with claims and counter claims about adverse effects and whether or not they do any good in the first place. There is yet much to find out.

It seems it's up to you. Feel concerned if you wish but don't panic.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know about statins increasing the risk of diabetes but it's fact that they do increase blood sugar a bit. Perhaps that's why they are regularly offered to diabetics he says cynically....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only speak from my own experience. My BS levels went down after I stopped taking statins. I reckon about 0.5mmol/l average.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No consultation with the doctor. My levels dropped within 2 to 3 days. My cholesterol wasn't too bad before I started statins, and I knew when I stopped taking them that I was due another blood test 4 weeks later, so would be able to see if I had done any damage. On that blood test my cholesterol was worse than on statins but better than before statins. My nurse said it was up to me but suggested I try the lower dose ones (20mg instead of 40mg). I nodded but haven't taken them, again because I will be having yet another blood test in August.