Higher fasting glucose

ShaunL

Hello again,

I was wondering if I could get some advice please. my issue is this:

my glucose levels are appearing to be under control after eating and particularly low at night 2 hours post meal so I'm encouraged. However the morning is the issue when I check glucose is up again, not crazy high, below 7mmol but higher than it should be...is this a usual anomaly for certain people? What could I do to reduce this?
Ps. I run regularly and am 11 stone

Thanks for any advice

Shaun

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Shaun,

It is normal to have a higher fasting level in the mornings, but it will come down eventually. It is often the last reading to get under control. Have you read about the Dawn Phenomenon or Liver Dump? This is because when you wake up your body needs extra energy to get up and start the day, so with no food inside you, your liver dumps glucose in your system to help matters along. There are lots of threads about it on here if you have a search, and you can Google it. Another thing is, to test immediately you get out of bed rather than leave it till after you shower or potter about.

Reactions: 2 people

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you could try a very small snack late at night to reduce your bodies perceived length of time it is in starvation mode.

jim

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm the same. Mine was 9.7 this morning. I've tried a bedtime snack, but it makes no difference. I haven't tried testing before I get up though. Even if I do, once I do get up my BS will be rising won't it, so it'll still be going up to those levels even though I've already tested. For me it starts to come down 2 hrs after breakfast and gets lower and lower through the day, rising after meals, but getting down into the 5s.

As I have only recently been getting any control at all over my BS I understand it'll be a while before I get this fasting one down, but how important is it? I mean, am I doing any serious damage to myself by having a higher pre-breakfast BS?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the same. Mine was 9.7 this morning. I've tried a bedtime snack, but it makes no difference. I haven't tried testing before I get up though. Even if I do, once I do get up my BS will be rising won't it, so it'll still be going up to those levels even though I've already tested. For me it starts to come down 2 hrs after breakfast and gets lower and lower through the day, rising after meals, but getting down into the 5s.

As I have only recently been getting any control at all over my BS I understand it'll be a while before I get this fasting one down, but how important is it? I mean, am I doing any serious damage to myself by having a higher pre-breakfast BS?

Rosie, 9.7 is a bit high especially immediately before breakfast because your breakfast may spike it even higher. What do you go to bed on?

Don't worry, it will come down eventually. Meanwhile, do you have a non-carb breakfast to avoid a further rise? Having said that, is 9.7 higher than normal for your fasting? Many of us are reporting significantly higher readings at the moment due to the heat. It is good that the levels come down again though.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rosie, 9.7 is a bit high especially immediately before breakfast because your breakfast may spike it even higher. What do you go to bed on?

Don't worry, it will come down eventually. Meanwhile, do you have a non-carb breakfast to avoid a further rise? Having said that, is 9.7 higher than normal for your fasting? Many of us are reporting significantly higher readings at the moment due to the heat. It is good that the levels come down again though.
Well, I don't often test fasting, but when I do it's often between 8 and 9.5. It's been like this since I dropped down to one gliclazide in the evening as two was giving me night time hypos. This morning it was a little higher, but I had a low carb evening meal and red wine. I don't test at bedtime.

Breakfast is always very low carb, and from my experience I will be within the range my DN said I should aim for (between 4 and 8) by 2 hrs after breakfast. I will go above 8 at every meal though.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Try testing at bedtime to see if your morning problem is DP or if you are going to bed high. You only need to do it a couple of times to see what it is. The higher you start, the higher you will finish. Just a thought. I find my bedtime and morning readings are always flat, so no DP for me.

ShaunL

Thank you for the feedback and info it's all really useful. I just find it weird that all my readings are okay other than the morning one but as you say maybe that will come down eventually. not sure what else I can do though as have altered my diet, cant afford to lose more weight and exercise regularly...maybe that reading is just normal for me and has always been that way??

All best

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Shaun.

I've put a link in my signature to a site called bloodsugar101.
It's got masses of fantastic information, and a lot of it is relevant to Prediabetics.
There's a section on how the body gradually moves from 'normal' to prediabetes and then to diabetes. It explains how the insulin response deteriorates, and the way the body responds to carbs and what the dawn phenomenon is.
The site explains it all far better than I can!

Reactions: 2 people

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
T
Hello again,

I was wondering if I could get some advice please. my issue is this:

my glucose levels are appearing to be under control after eating and particularly low at night 2 hours post meal so I'm encouraged. However the morning is the issue when I check glucose is up again, not crazy high, below 7mmol but higher than it should be...is this a usual anomaly for certain people? What could I do to reduce this?
Ps. I run regularly and am 11 stone

Thanks for any advice

Shaun
This may help you understand: I Ate Nothing! Why Are My BGs high?