• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey! It was 3 months for me, but that was a long time ago.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well i cant even walk around tesco without being in pain :( i hate this so much!

Waiting lists i have no idea about so i will have to wait and see

As for work they would pay me, they only dont pay people that they think take the **** etc! Plus they mother me there lol!

I think it's about 2-4 weeks! Depending on how i respond etc i think xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
If you mean 2-4 weeks recovery time from surgery, that seems quick to me; especially if your job involves sitting for long periods, driving a desk.

@Bluetit1802 - can you recall recovery times?

I'm not disbelieving what you say Nicola, it just seems optimistic. Perhaps.

I would also strongly advise you find the official line on sick pay. It's often too much hassle not to pay someone for a few days, but it can be different if it's a bit longer.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

If you mean 2-4 weeks recovery time from surgery, that seems quick to me; especially if your job involves sitting for long periods, driving a desk.

@Bluetit1802 - can you recall recovery times?

I'm not disbelieving what you say Nicola, it just seems optimistic. Perhaps.

I would also strongly advise you find the official line on sick pay. It's often too much hassle not to pay someone for a few days, but it can be different if it's a bit longer.

I did think 2-4 weeks was quick but on the nhs website it said that lol! So who knows.

I will look into sick pay but they are really good to me at my place x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just want you to be free of pain Nicola regardless of sick pay rules.
Catherine, I'm not suggesting Nicola would change treatment plans depending on her sick pay arrangements, but when off sick, and in pain is not the time to discover a discretionary arrangement is being applied differently, and unexpectedly. In my view, it would be good to have covered as many important bases as possible, before elective surgery.

D

Deleted member 83869

Catherine, I'm not suggesting Nicola would change treatment plans depending on her sick pay arrangements, but when off sick, and in pain is not the time to discover a discretionary arrangement is being applied differently, and unexpectedly. In my view, it would be good to have covered as many important bases as possible, before elective surgery.

Even if i didnt get paid atleast i would be pain free hopefully lol! And my boyfriend has his job too but i am about 98% certain they would pay me they have when i have been off in hospital before! And when i went on dafne!

Crutches wouldnt work would they???

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There may be health and safety/fire regulations in play. For instance I couldn't have someone back to work who was super rapid on crutches because he could not have evacuated from the 11th floor of the building quickly or safely enough.

D

Deleted member 83869

There may be health and safety/fire regulations in play. For instance I couldn't have someone back to work who was super rapid on crutches because he could not have evacuated from the 11th floor of the building quickly or safely enough.
Oh yeah true hmmm so no then? Lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion, your decision on whether or not to have the op should not be influenced by how long you will be off work, nor whether you will get paid.

However, I do advise you that should you decide to have the op for certain, then you should make proper enquiries from your hospital consultant as to how long you may be off work, and make enquiries of work how much you can expect to be paid.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

In my opinion, your decision on whether or not to have the op should not be influenced by how long you will be off work, nor whether you will get paid.

However, I do advise you that should you decide to have the op for certain, then you should make proper enquiries from your hospital consultant as to how long you may be off work, and make enquiries of work how much you can expect to be paid.
Im scared for both, scared for the injection's because i will be awake for them and scared for the op, for obvious reasons but also the thought of one is daunting even though i have had an op before on my ankle lol!

Adele99

Only you can decide what's best for you. In 2006 I had 2 separate episodes of severe sciatica , 24/7 leg pain, couldn't walk or sleep for more than hour at a time. Over a 3 month period which was how long it took to get an MRI done , which showed 3 prolapsed discs sitting on the nerve root which was badly inflamed. When I went back to see the Ortho he told me my left leg muscle was beginning to waste with it .

Was referred straight to the orthopaedic surgeon, who suggested surgery but because I was on the waiting list for a cardiac stent, he said it was too high risk, and told me to come back after I'd had the stent done and passed the cardiac rehabiliataton programme.

During the time I waited for the cardiac surgery, my back started to improve, and the pain eventually subsided. Now it only causes me the odd flare up if I've done something silly with it.

My discs were maybe in a better state than yours, and Could be if your disc is totally shot, then recovery naturally might not happen in your case. But often nature heals with time. But I'm glad I didn't have the surgery which was offered, as it does carry risks, and doesn't fix all cases. If I was you it would depend on how long it's being going on, and how bad the symptoms are. And what they say is likely to happen if you don't get it operated on.

Whatever you decide I hope things go well and if surgery is your decision you have a speedy recovery.

collectingrocks

Nicola

You are young and have the whole of your life ahead of you. Do you really want to be in pain for the rest of your life?

If surgery means you will be pain-free for the rest of your life then it's a no-brainer.

As others have said, you need to consider your options and not worry whether or not work are going to pay you or not. Your health and wellbeing are paramount. If your consultant says you cannot work for a specified period, your employer has a duty of care - and from what you are saying, they are very good to you.

Are you on the waiting list?

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Nicola

You are young and have the whole of your life ahead of you. Do you really want to be in pain for the rest of your life?

If surgery means you will be pain-free for the rest of your life then it's a no-brainer.

As others have said, you need to consider your options and not worry whether or not work are going to pay you or not. Your health and wellbeing are paramount. If your consultant says you cannot work for a specified period, your employer has a duty of care - and from what you are saying, they are very good to you.

Are you on the waiting list?
Sorry I completely forgot about this post ha! Erm no not on the waiting list yet but am seeing the surgeon in October! Have been given cocodamol 30/500 and wow they have kicked in and I just want to sleep!!! lol!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had and have same issue.

The first time I had bupa, who were amazing. Started with physiology but one day in the shower it popped and that was it. I was admitted, scanned and given the epidural injections. They don't hurt and you get given a local - you just have to lie completely still. I was overjoyed at being pain free but unfortunately it wore off within two weeks and three weeks later I had the op.

Recovery for me was six weeks until back to work, but six months before I could entertain running again. The first few days after the op were hard but I got through it and got stronger.

I'm now getting pain on e again and had it for eight months. I'm awaiting mri feedback and will see what they say. For me an op now would be bad as I have two young kids and no support so I worry for them but if I was you, I'd have the op. You risk doing permanent t damage to the nerve. It took months after my op for nerve pain to subside but it did eventually. Nerves take a long time to heal.

X