Old clothes

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some old clothes I saved now fit me again. Pity it is 30 years since they were in fashion. Shall I call them vintage?

Reactions: 8 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some old clothes I saved now fit me again. Pity it is 30 years since they were in fashion. Shall I call them vintage?
Oh, the weight loss is probably due to several factors. Low carbing and thyroid meds for example.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one.

And definitely call them vintage.

I went to a Xmas work dinner a couple of years ago. 80s theme. Bizarre experience. Lots of 20-30 yr olds wearing the oddest 80s pseudo clothes. They had no idea.

There were some really great and flattering items around then - just like any decade. You just have to have good taste. ;)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one.

And definitely call them vintage.

I went to a Xmas work dinner a couple of years ago. 80s theme. Bizarre experience. Lots of 20-30 yr olds wearing the oddest 80s pseudo clothes. They had no idea.

There were some really great and flattering items around then - just like any decade. You just have to have good taste. ;)
I had taste (at the time that is) so they are lovely but I don't really know what to do about the whatdoyoucallthem, the stuffing on the shoulder? Markedly eighties and they haven't taken kindly to be in a box for several decades so even more stuffy then they were to start with. .

Reactions: 2 people

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found a never worn Laura Ashley long dress in size 12 that I will wear this year - def. vintage! You can remove shoulder pads from clothes, just unpick the stitches holding them in place and take in the top of the shoulder seam a little. I don't follow fashion, I wear what I feel I look OK in and mix cheap with designer.

At the moment I have more clothes that are too big, 5 big bags of them and adding to them, than clothes which fit me!! I can't bring myself to take them to charity yet as I don't fully have the confidence that I won't be fat again!!! Being a long time at size 20/22 I'm not used to being 14/16 yet, and I have another 1.1/2 stones to lose. At this rate I will be clothes shopping at Mothercare!o_O.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes in the 80's I always cut the shoulder pads out. I hated them. Definitely 'vintage' Totto.

N

NicolaB70

They had an article on This Morning today, apparently shell suits are making a comeback!! I never had one back in the 80's and definitely still wouldn't have one now,

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sznn61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a wonderful thread. Presently size 24. Definitely wore shoulder pads. Well done for having such a dilemma!

I've wonderful clothes waiting for me. Right now, i feel like i wear black bin bags.

Thanks for this thread, lovely encouragement.

Suzanne

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a wonderful thread. Presently size 24. Definitely wore shoulder pads. Well done for having such a dilemma!

I've wonderful clothes waiting for me. Right now, i feel like i wear black bin bags.

Thanks for this thread, lovely encouragement.

Suzanne

Hi, from another Suzanne who is also in size 24's, though I'm just about fitting into one or two size 22 things now. Maybe part of my problem is that I'm lazy and prefer the 'bin bag' look! It's been good to manage to wear my old denim shorts this week though, having now lost 2 stones.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Morning:) definitley call them vintage, as it's such a big thing nowadays, the youngsters love the look. I wish I had kept some of my clothes especially the huge big colourful wedged shoes and sandals and the platform boots:D Well done on your weight loss, you must be so chuffed. Any chance of a few fashion catwalk photo's;)

Sznn61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good for you! I hope its me soon.

Clothes as art- that is my biggest motivator.

We can do this. We can, Suzanne

Suzanne

A

AnnieC

Yes they are vintage and that is the big fashion trend at the moment Vintage clothes shops are popping up all over the place. If you don't want to wear them then sell them on Ebay or to a vintage clothes shop there is a big demand for them

A

AnnieC

My grandaughter is a fashion stylist at QVC the shopping channel and fashion is one of their biggest sellers...they sell a lot of US and other designers clothes and accessories... and she says that a lot of the designers clothes are being made in the style of the 50/60/70's and are really popular, Wish I had kept mine from the 60/70's as they would still fit me I have always been a size 10/12

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wish I had kept mine from the 60/70's as they would still fit me I have always been a size 10/12

I'd still fit into my 60/70's clothes too but I'm not sure my micro-mini's would look that good on some-one in their mid 60's :eek::D:eek:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm early 50's and wear skorts. If I've still got good legs at 70, I will still wear my skorts.

I have a bright red jumper that my mum bought 6 weeks after I was born. (Now 51!) She bought it in Malta. I still wear it and it is still bright red and gorgeous.

Wish I still had my hot pants!!

Loving life

Last edited by a moderator:

hawkeyeuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Should the clothes be called vintage or retro. I think retro sounds better as it does not imply the age of the garments. Well done for the weight losd

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should the clothes be called vintage or retro. I think retro sounds better as it does not imply the age of the garments. Well done for the weight losd

Now that is interesting. Difference in age between vintage and retro?

They are only 20-30 years old and good quality. I look great in them if I may say so myself and am certainly glad I once bought them and for the moment even happier I haven't worn them out so can wear them now at the age of 51.