Hi, I'm New to this forum.... I have just been advised to inject "LIXISENATIDE"....

athanasios

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONE HERE IS HAVING ANY PROBLEMS OR THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THIS..."LIXISENATIDE"....

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Hi welcome to the forum, It is nice and friendly here, I am sure it wont be long until someone gives you an answer.
Meanwhile try putting the word in the search box.

athanasios

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have...and I am not happy with what I am reading about this drug... It has only been approved by NICE since January 2013 and its still going through test trials... its NOT been tested on anyone under 18 years old or on people over 75 years old... the side affects are horrendous. Because of what I have read I am now refusing to inject this drug.... and the Doctor said the side effects were one in 100. NOT TRUE its one in 10..... it also states.....
GLP-1 mimetics have been associated with a risk of developing acute pancreatitis - Cancer... and I am a cancer patient. Is there anyone on this forum who is injecting this....
Read on... http://www.nice.org.uk/Advice/esnm26

Reactions: 2 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have...and I am not happy with what I am reading about this drug... It has only been approved by NICE since January 2013 and its still going through test trials... its NOT been tested on anyone under 18 years old or on people over 75 years old... the side affects are horrendous. Because of what I have read I am now refusing to inject this drug.... and the Doctor said the side effects were one in 100. NOT TRUE its one in 10..... it also states.....
GLP-1 mimetics have been associated with a risk of developing acute pancreatitis - Cancer... and I am a cancer patient. Is there anyone on this forum who is injecting this....
Read on...
http://www.nice.org.uk/Advice/esnm26[/QUOTE]

Well that is one thing, like it or not there is plenty of information out there. It is up to the individual what they do with it.
I came in here after refusing statins for 3 years then being prescribed Metformin and refusing it.
It made me realise I had better take control of my diet etc.
I believed Type 2 wasn't that bad, having not been told any different by the Doc or Nurse.
They just throw drugs at the problem, instead of giving you good info.

Reactions: 2 people

athanasios

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Statins are to control or bring down your cholesterol.... the fats NOT the sugar !.... I was on statins and they did not bring down my cholesterol of 6.0 but made me very ill.... after reading up on then found that satins couse more problems, than they do you any good.... Even if you never eat fat ! your body still make cholesterol. mine was always 6.0 then the health authorities moved the gaol post to 5.5 then now 5.... mine is still 6.0.

Metformin :- this to also made me so, so, ILL the Hospital said I must not take it again..... Every man and his dog is put on this drug first of all, and it does not suit all... My friends husband was taken into hospital with a heart attack... while he was there they found out that he was diabetic. gave him Metformin as he was leaving.... I happened to be reading the information leaflet ... it said ..."anyone who as had a heart attack or heart problems should NOT be taking Metformin... I phoned him straight away.. he said he did not feel very well and still had chest pains... I sold him to get to the Doctors... he went straight away.... He was in the middle of another Heart Attack. when he got to the doctors.. he was taken off the Metformin and told never to take it again.... The Hospital is now being Questioned about giving a patient Metformin knowingly having Heart Problems... So many Doctor are NOT read the Instructions before dishing drugs out. That why I read up on any drug that a Doctor prescribes for me.

Reactions: 4 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Statins are to control or bring down your cholesterol.... the fats NOT the sugar !.... I was on statins and they did not bring down my cholesterol of 6.0 but made me very ill.... after reading up on then found that satins couse more problems, than they do you any good.... Even if you never eat fat ! your body still make cholesterol. mine was always 6.0 then the health authorities moved the gaol post to 5.5 then now 5.... mine is still 6.0.

Metformin :- this to also made me so, so, ILL the Hospital said I must not take it again..... Every man and his dog is put on this drug first of all, and it does not suit all... My friends husband was taken into hospital with a heart attack... while he was there they found out that he was diabetic. gave him Metformin as he was leaving.... I happened to be reading the information leaflet ... it said ..."anyone who as had a heart attack or heart problems should NOT be taking Metformin... I phoned him straight away.. he said he did not feel very well and still had chest pains... I sold him to get to the Doctors... he went straight away.... He was in the middle of another Heart Attack. when he got to the doctors.. he was taken off the Metformin and told never to take it again.... The Hospital is now being Questioned about giving a patient Metformin knowingly having Heart Problems... So many Doctor are NOT read the Instructions before dishing drugs out. That why I read up on any drug that a Doctor prescribes for me.

That's exactly what I do. I was having muscle problems investigated when they found out I was diabetic the Doc prescribed Statins. And it sated clearly not to be given to anyone with muscle problems. Needless to say they went in the bin. So I always check.

athanasios

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I live some of the year 8-9 months in Limassol, Cyprus... I was taking Metformin and Blood pressure tablets... I came our in large boils... a Cypriot friend told me to go and see her Private Doctor.... First thing she asked me was Did you get these tablets from your GP in England OR did you buy them from over the counter here in Cyprus ( You can buy anything over the counter in Cyprus) It turns out that the two drugs were / are not compatible. Dr if you continue to take these two together you will not reach England alive.... I took this up with my GP... she said to take the 2 piles... I DID !... and was Ill again.... went on the web... the Doctor in Cyprus was 100% right... I am not taking then anymore and have changed Doctors.
Not taking Metformin anymore and am now taking "GLIMEPIRIDE 6mg a day.... they have been working up until now.... but now we have the heat here in the UK.... its not the heat so much that pushes the sugar up its the Humidity.

Never Go in A sauna... Risk or Benefits ???
Some people with diabetes have nerve damage, particularly affecting the lower legs and feet. This nerve damage can make you less sensitive to feeling the higher temperatures found in jacuzzis, steam rooms or saunas, therefore increasing the risk for burns.
If you take insulin injections, the higher temperatures may alter the absorption rate of the insulin, putting you at an increased risk of having a low blood glucose level (hypoglycemia).

I still need more info from other people who are on "LIXISENATIDE"

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds similar to victoza which is Part of the same glp-1 family. A lot of people on here take victoza. I read your link it sounds same potential side effects.

To be honest sometimes you have to try something. I didn't want to go on insulin but realised I had no cho.ice. I needed an operation , still do, but couldn't have it cos of bg readings. 10 weeks in it was worth it.

Then realised I was putting weight on because of insulin, despite low carbing, asked nurse what to do because if I put weight on I'd still not get the operation. She suggested victoza she told me the side effects. But you get them taking any drug. So far only couple of mild side effects. And I have to have 2 renal function blood tests to check all is ok. Of course first sign of any I'll effects I'll raise it.

My thinking is I should have acted and raised my bs issues last year, but ignored them. Then I wouldn't be in the situation I am now. Plus I've developed Carpel tunnel as well, nerve conduction test is on Thursday, again possibly it could have been delayed or avoided, but I acted the minute I noticed the symptoms.

Ask loads of questions though. Good luck with what you decide.

athanasios

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks BEV 18.. I have just read the report on this drug VICTOZA

Read this report on Victoza http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20100126/new-diabetes-drug-victoza-approved

Its worse that the drug that the consultant wants me to take... LIXISENATIDE
anyway I saw my GP today and he had not read the report and said he does not know much about it.
He is going to read-up on this drug and in the mean time will refer me to another consultant.
Thanks anyway for your input.

gig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i am on lixisenatide. I am on week seven and i had no sickness i have not lost any weight but not gained any either so thats a bonus.my gp wanted me to go onto insulin but the consultant at the hospital said i am not near to needing insulin, and prescribed lixisenatide, my glucose levels are lower for about 6hrs but are high again well before i am due the next injection dn said that i might need glicazide increasing .it is the devil and the deep blue sea at the moment . I really struggle to lose weight i swim and gym and very long walks changed alot of diet ect ,.was hoping to lose weight on this injection but no gain is helpfull as i am on other medications for other things that dont help with weight .. but on the whole lixisenetide i am having no problem with hope this helps you ...