Gaining weight

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea what is going on with my body! Been low carb and staying under 1200 calories a day since May; the first 5 weeks I lost nothing, then until last week I was steadily losing 900g a week. Last week I stayed the same, this week I have GAINED 2kg!!!! My diet is the same as when I was losing and so are my exercise levels.

Anyone any idea what's going on? I am losing the will!

Summer x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be any number of things. Are you drinking enough water? I know I don't and I'm sure it stops me losing weight.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to drink masses when low carb, and then masses more in hot weather...

There are water drinking calculators that a google search will find, but as a general rule, it should be 1 litre per 5 stone of body weight. So 2 litres for a 10 stone person and 4 litres for a 20 stone person.

Then you add in more for hot weather.

Most people aren't drinking anywhere near enough. I struggle to hit my target, but I definitely feel better when I do...

But whether that has affected your weight gain is just a guess.

Other possible explanations could include
Constipation (often helped by drinking more water!)
Gaining muscle (have you been exercising?)
Medication (lots of them cause water retention and/or weight gain)

Alice233

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dieting and physical exercise are the mainstays of treatment for obesity. Diet quality can be improved by reducing the consumption of energy-dense foods such as those high in fat, carbohydrates and sugars, and by increasing the intake of dietary fiber (mostly found in fruits, vegetables and other vitamin rich foods). Also some medical practitioners recommend Anti-obesity drugs to reduce appetite or decrease fat absorption when used together with a suitable diet.
To be realistic, eating right and exercising isn’t easy, even for people with the resources. This makes it difficult to maintain a healthy non-obese lifestyle. However, I was fortunate to come across a very educative 30min video on YouTube that provided me, the best solution in treating obesity and living a healthy lifestyle. I recommend the video to anyone serious about cutting down their excess body fat reserves and may you please pay serious attention to details.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no idea what is going on with my body! Been low carb and staying under 1200 calories a day since May; the first 5 weeks I lost nothing, then until last week I was steadily losing 900g a week. Last week I stayed the same, this week I have GAINED 2kg!!!! My diet is the same as when I was losing and so are my exercise levels.

Anyone any idea what's going on? I am losing the will!

Summer x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I don't count calories, but I'm the same. It's not a lose so much a week thing.
I stay the same for a fortnight and then lose a kilo in a few days
I've given up weighing myself weekly, once a month and my clothes are better measures

As has been said, keep your water up
Cut high energy carb

Last edited by a moderator:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
At least your losing and that is is great.......