Diet Help needed

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
no idea what the breakdown is, my GP has never said; he's always seemed happy enough with my yearly blood tests until now !

My suggestion is, that before you get too stressed out about raised cholesterol, you ring your GP's receptionist and ask for a print out of your last blood test results. You are entitled to these. You will find that getting your print outs every time you have a blood test will be very useful for you to refer to. If you have all the facts, not just those filtered out by your GP, you will be in a better position to decide how to proceed. You can even ask for your old ones. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with a doctor that was happy without knowing why, and indeed if he is right to be happy! You can also keep an eye on what your liver and kidneys are doing from these tests.

Reactions: 2 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@susieq67
I think your cholesterol has gone over the magic number "5", where they want to full you up with statins. Do ask the doctor (or to be more accurate one of the receptionists) for a print out of your cholesterol results. Post them on here and someone will explain them.
Or, you could completely ignore them: there is a lot of evidence that people with low cholesterol are the ones that have the most heart attacks and strokes and that women, especially mature ones, don't respond to statins anyway. If you want to research this, look here, http://drmalcolmkendrick.org
and here, http://www.zoeharcombe.com
Sally

Reactions: 4 people

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@sally and james - he was already talking about Statins but I said "no way" as I'd seen the way they affected Mum (very bad joint pains etc) and I have enough problems with osteoarthritis and joint pain as it is !

However my BP is really good 116/60 so the cholesterol levels don't really stress me although I'd like them lower :)

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
thanks for the link - having read it I think it's going to take some doing for me to change a life time's (I'm 67 now) conditioning ! Especially as I've studiously avoided anything that is 'full fat' and opted for the 'high fibre' versions of most things. I think breakfast is going to be the most difficult as I just cannot stomach a cooked breakfast, but if I miss it altogether I can feel extremely 'light headed' by mid-morning.
G'day Susie from another 67 year-old.

I was diagnosed at 55. I understand where you are coming from, I also got the low-fat high-whole-grains mantra from my dieticians then. Here is the menu you posted with the items you need to be wary of highlighted:
Breakfast - tea (no sugar), 1 Weetabix with 1 fat-free fruit yoghurt, half a dozen strawberries and a handful of blueberries
Mid-morning - coffee (no sugar)
Lunch - sandwich made with 2 slices from a small Hovis wholemeal loaf (no butter or spread) filled with a small portion of cheese, lettuce, watercress and sliced tomato, 1 nectarine, plus another coffee with no sugar
Mid-afternoon - cup of tea (no sugar) and plain rice cake with a smearing of reduced sugar jam
Diner - small salmon fillet with 2 small new potatoes and green vegetables followed by a handful of grapes and 2 fresh apricots
Evening - cup of tea (no sugar)

That doesn't mean you have to avoid all those foods; it is all about discovering the right portion sizes. I offer some tips on how to do that here (click on it): Getting Started

You have diabetes. Fat, in moderation, is NOT the enemy, it is carbs we need to be wary of.

A

AnnieC

I've always thought that my diet was relatively healthy - but as I've just been diagnosed with type 2 obviously not !
For the last couple of months (pre-diagnosis) I have been trying to lose weight by calorie counting (always successful in the past) but it now seems that I need to re-think my diet regime !

Yesterday was a fairly typical 'diet' day:

Breakfast - tea (no sugar), 1 Weetabix with 1 fat-free fruit yoghurt, half a dozen strawberries and a handful of blueberries
Mid-morning - coffee (no sugar)
Lunch - sandwich made with 2 slices from a small Hovis wholemeal loaf (no butter or spread) filled with a small portion of cheese, lettuce, watercress and sliced tomato, 1 nectarine, plus another coffee with no sugar
Mid-afternoon - cup of tea (no sugar) and plain rice cake with a smearing of reduced sugar jam
Diner - small salmon fillet with 2 small new potatoes and green vegetables followed by a handful of grapes and 2 fresh apricots
Evening - cup of tea (no sugar)

I don't eat red meat so my protein comes from chicken, fish, cheese or eggs (nuts give me indigestion !)
I don't drink alcohol
I don't have sweet or 'soft' drinks 'cos I don't like them
I haven't eaten sweets, chocolates or cake for months as I was been trying to lose weight pre-diagnosis anyway - but I do enjoy the occasional garibaldi or rich tea biscuit !
I do eat my '5 a day' - more like 7 - 10 a day
I do eat a lot of fruit - at least 4 - 5 portions a day
I'm half Italian so do like my pasta, but restrict myself to once a week and use Quorn mince in the sauce
I also enjoy a small jacket potato with either a small portion of baked beans or small tine of tuna occasionally

For various reasons (high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels) I also try to limit the amount of animal fats and salt in my diet. I'm having difficulty getting my head around the thoughts of a permanent low carb diet and a lifetime without the foods I really love (especially fruit and pasta !).
Hi
It sounds like you eat practically the same way I do... I only eat chicken no red meat I do not eat cereals rice or pasta and I have Bergen Linseed and Soya bread instead of other breads usually only two slices max and not every day. I do eat lots of fruit and vegetables love them to much to cut down to just leafy green ones and berry fruits. I have plain greek yogurt and I don't drink alcohol. I don't do the LCHF diet that lots on here do as I prefer low fat I am 75 and I have been doing that for almost 10 years so don't think my digestion would take to kindly to a lot of fats now and going to low on carbs makes me loose weight that I don't need to. I do test my blood but not every day I was diagnosed prediabtic last year Good luck with whatever diet you choose to do

Last edited:

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for all your advice - I am taking it all on board !

just been food shopping and got

Alpro Simply Plain yoghurt - 2.1g carbs per 100g
Total 0 fat Greek yoghurt - 4g carbs per 100g
(I saw that most other natural yoghurts were around 8g carbs peer 100g)

also found Ryvita Crackerbread at 3.5g carbs per slice (of which 0.3g sugar) - most other crispbreads seem to be 6.7g carbs per slice (of which 0.3g sugar)

I'm trying to find ways of reducing my overall carb/sugar intake that will still allow me the odd pasta meal and some fruit. But I'd like some tips on suitable snacks to stop me getting hungry in the night ! I don't sleep well as it is (long time insomniac) and if I go to bed feeling even slightly hungry then I can forget sleep altogether !

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread has been so useful to me. As a newbie i am overwhelmed with the information and trying to keep record of food list and all.. I am still wondering, is it ok to have 2 slices of bread a day- i am having multigrain which says 25g per 2 slices.. Also i have some lentils as part of lunch or dinner so not sure in total carbs in this lentils.. I agree with Alan for testing but It will take simetime for me to start for the testing...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mpe

You have diabetes. Fat, in moderation, is NOT the enemy, it is carbs we need to be wary of.

Especially anything called "starch". Because this is the most concentrated source of glucose. As well as often being called "healthy".

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills

also found Ryvita Crackerbread at 3.5g carbs per slice (of which 0.3g sugar) - most other crispbreads seem to be 6.7g carbs per slice (of which 0.3g sugar)

I'm trying to find ways of reducing my overall carb/sugar intake that will still allow me the odd pasta meal and some fruit. But I'd like some tips on suitable snacks to stop me getting hungry in the night ! I don't sleep well as it is (long time insomniac) and if I go to bed feeling even slightly hungry then I can forget sleep altogether !

So far you are doing what I would do. Keep checking the labels.
I decided which carbs I really want and don't have the ones I can do without. For me its a balancing act. If I feel I've over done it I go on my exercise bike.
Keep going , you will find what suites you. Xx

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
This thread has been so useful to me. As a newbie i am overwhelmed with the information and trying to keep record of food list and all.. I am still wondering, is it ok to have 2 slices of bread a day- i am having multigrain which says 25g per 2 slices.. Also i have some lentils as part of lunch or dinner so not sure in total carbs in this lentils.. I agree with Alan for testing but It will take simetime for me to start for the testing...

Its different for everyone, I can have a slice of bread moderation , lentils not so good.
I can't eat oranges or bananas but berries are fine.
Keep checking the labels and testing.
My tools when I was diagnosed which helped me and still do are:
1 * the advice from the DCUK forum
2* buying a glucometer and testing , that way I found out what different foods did to my blood sugar levels and what my symptoms meant
3* recording what I ate on my fitness pal app.
4* buying an exercise bike and using it
5* communication with other like minded people on Facebook and here.

A

AnnieC

You are on the right track so well done I can't really help with the snacks as I struggle with those myself never know what to have so usually just have a few nuts

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I can have a plain biscuit.with a cuppa .
I can also have aldi 85% dark chocolate ..only a small bar though. .Don't overdo it.

susieq67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jamrox

we don't have an Aldi anywhere near here, but I suppose any 85% (or higher) dark chocolate would be the same ? At heart I am a confessed chocoholic but because I was/am trying lose weight I have managed without for the last 6 weeks, so perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea for me anyway !!!!!

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@Jamrox

we don't have an Aldi anywhere near here, but I suppose any 85% (or higher) dark chocolate would be the same ? At heart I am a confessed chocoholic but because I was/am trying lose weight I have managed without for the last 6 weeks, so perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea for me anyway !!!!!

6 weeks is a long time , thats will power.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Why will it take some time to start testing? I ask because the best way to answer your question is to ask your meter. I often have two, sometimes more, slices of bread in a day. Just not at the same time and, for me, not before lunchtime.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Jamrox

Chocolate, in moderation, is a good healthy food. I always have 70% or higher available. Usually it is Lindt, but sometimes one of the Aldi brands. Here is a test of self control for you. Take one 10gm square (usually less than 4gm carb) and break it into four smaller squares. Place it on your tongue but do not chew. Let it slowly dissolve over a minute or more. Then repeat with the other three. Bliss - if you can resist the temptation to chew and swallow too quickly.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Chocolate, in moderation, is a good healthy food. I always have 70% or higher available. Usually it is Lindt, but sometimes one of the Aldi brands. Here is a test of self control for you. Take one 10gm square (usually less than 4gm carb) and break it into four smaller squares. Place it on your tongue but do not chew. Let it slowly dissolve over a minute or more. Then repeat with the other three. Bliss - if you can resist the temptation to chew and swallow too quickly.

Mmmm I love aldi orange and almond dark chocolate

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you said Lindt chocolate, is it any type of chvolate or go for dark chocolate and what is 70% or higher?? Sorry Alan, I didnt understand.. Thanks so much!!

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Dah DAAHHH!!

The exciting new Game is LOOOWW CAAARB EXPERIMENTAL COOKING and anyone can play.

The idea of the game is to keep the serving sizes and find fantastic tasting new foods without carbs. then test them on your friends and house mates. And of course keep our BS down and lose a bit of weight.

Anyway I wrote the following and I have posted it before but it might help.

LOW CARB DIETS

Why and How

By Mango Chutney

If you have not been comatosed in recent times, you will know that our modern diet contains too much carbs (carbohydrates) and it is the root cause of overweight and related health problems.

So the time has come to do something about it, particularly if you are overweight, pre-diabetic or diabetic. The problem is we eat too much grain products, bread, rice, pasta, cereals etc and too much starch i.e. potatoes and sweet potato and too much sugar of all types including fruit.

They do not want us to eat extra protein or overload on grease, good or bad and we need to get enough to eat.

We can, of course, make up the difference with garden veg. but we can follow my simple tips and convert our recipes to Lo-carb.

Bakery products.

Sugar alternatives are available and I call it “pretend sugar”, eventually you will get used to the taste.

Wheat flour is a problem and we eat a lot of it one way or another and the alternative is nut flours. The nut flours that are easy to buy are coconut flour and almond meal and both are made from the waste left after the oil is extracted.

For cooking, nut flours have a major problem because they have no “glue” to hold cooked product together, wheat flour has gluten.

Some glues for nut flour that I use are; eggs, olive oil, grated cheese and gelatine. I use them in flour recipes, there are no hard and fast rules, just use what you think suits the end product.

A lo- carb self-raising wholemeal flour alternative I use is;

½ cup of each of 3 flours (self-raising flour, coconut flour, almond meal)

½ cup of crushed nuts

1 cup desiccated coconut

1 teaspoon baking soda

Plus whatever glue (see above) I choose i.e, grated cheese for flat bread, eggs and olive oil and gelatine for cakes.

This will produce some flavours that you might not like but you can override them with spices and curry powder and vanilla essence or even cocoa. Peppermint essence, if not too heavily applied, will just become a clean tasting mask.

Note about coconut flour.

Coconut flour absorbs huge quantities of fluid so it is best to not waste ingredients by having them absorbed into the coconut flour (add water to the coconut flour first).

If you search the net you will find lots of lo-carb recipes and plenty for bread alternatives but most of them read like an omelette recipe with stacks of eggs. There are some good ones tho, that will even make bread that can be toasted, and there are some that cook in a mug in a microwave.

Potato Alternative

I use extra pumpkin and zucchini instead of potato.

Don’t forget all the beans are OK and the nuts are all fine too, and you do not just have to eat salads.

Soups, stews, curries, stir-fries, baked dinners, bacon and eggs, BBQs, cakes, diet jellies and egg custard are all good.

There is a microwaved chocolate cake around that is magnificent and delicious icing can be made from cream cheese, pretend sugar and lime or lemon juice.

Frozen berries are convenient (lots of taste and not much sugar) and they can be microwaved and sweetened for cakes or desserts and they can be made into jam and chutney.

To make jam, cook the berries a bit in the microwave with pretend sugar then add gelatine. You can make a chutney/relish by adding Worcestershire sauce to your jam.

If you are an experimental cook - then go for it and if you like to follow recipes the net is chocas with lo-carb recipes.

Enjoy!

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When you said Lindt chocolate, is it any type of chvolate or go for dark chocolate and what is 70% or higher?? Sorry Alan, I didnt understand.. Thanks so much!!
LIndt is just a brand. I am happy to try any 70% cocoa - or higher - chocolate. However, I don't just read the percentage on the label, I also look at the carb count., Some manufacturers add extra sugar to balance the higher cocoa content, so we still need to read labels. One reason I like the Lindt brand is the carb count on their 70% is still reasonable at 34gms per 100gm.

Reactions: 3 people