Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Debmcgee

Even the next day? Fasting test was at 9am Monday and I had my last pint of Stella at 9pm. Probably had 6 pints on the Sunday both pre fasting tests. Oh, and a bag if wine gums

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think so - it would definitely skew mine. I take a few days to get over a carb fest nowadays.

I'd love a nice cold pint of Stella now and again but I won't touch it now. :(

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Yes I am aware of the Newcastle diet, if fact that's one of the discussion points I have with the doc in a couple of week along with the fact that I stopped taking the metformin after just a week and refuse to be taking drugs the rest of my life.
When I got diagnosed she said if I had presented the same results 6
Months ago she would have said to me to diet and exercise only but due to new NICE guidelines she had to prescribe the metformin.

I gave 2 fasting blood tests both of which were border line. I don't know how important to the results this is but both my fasting tests were early on a Monday morning. During the prior weekends I had probably 15 pints of Stella, half bottle of brandy, two take always, biscuits, crisps and bags of sweets. That's pretty much been my weekends for the last year or so. Not great I know but just a routine I slipped into. I have over several years binged to excess then dieted to excess to get rid of the weight

What you ate and drank the day before is likely to have had an impact on your fasting levels; particularly with the carb levels you described. Whilst I sympathise that these things will have impacted, if you are saying you'd been consuming in this way for a while, and regularly at weekends, then that was your lifestyle. Changing your lifestyle to a more modest regime is likely to significantly improve your scores, but I doubt you will get your diagnosis changed, if that's where you're aiming.

If your heavy lifestyle and underlying diabetes was relatively short lived, then you possibly stand a decent chance of achieving a good outcome - provided enough of your beta cells are still and remain functional. But, in the first instance, I would suggest you target achieving good blood scores, both daily and HbA1c ( which, on current evidence looks very do-able) and drop as much of your excess poundage as you can, and you'll be in a good place. Only by that, and monitoring will you begin to understand how you will cope longer term.

The tricky thing about this disease, and T2 in particular, is that there is no silver bullet solution we can sit back and rely upon. The work bringing the greatest rewards is done by us, not any drugs. T1s have different challenges that I don't want to trivialise, but for some "lucky" people taking insulin, and consuming a very "normal" diet is enough. Many also carb count to minimise their insulin usage and potential weight gain that can happen by feeding insulin.

At your stage of the game, I gave myself a bit of time and space to reflect and consider my long term plan, which I believe I largely have in place now. Of course plans require periodic review and sometimes amendment, but I am certain I need a life plan with baseline parameters laid out for myself.

Good luck with your way forward.

Reactions: 2 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I received a completely free testing meter through the post - though have no memory whatsoever asking for one! It is a Contour Next USB. It came with a 'nice' letter reminding me to let my doctor know to prescribe the strips it uses, and that if she caused any problems I could contact them for support. I tried it out over the weekend and it is not so user-friendly as my accu chek one. But there is software and when you plug it into the laptop it downloads a programme that records BS levels, carbs, insulin, and you can write little notes to say how you were feeling when the measurement was taken. I quite like the little graphs and colourful tables it produces. Did an experiment and tested same blood with each meter - only 0.1 difference.

BS today - 5.0 A little high for me as have been in the 4s for weeks now.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apart from bacon and eggs at breakfast, I barely ate yesterday as it was too hot and I had full-on day of moving furniture and bedrooms around in preparation for No 1 daughter's homecoming tomorrow. Went to bed physically exhausted with aching limbs and bs of 5.8.

Fasting bs this morning.........5.8! My first fasting 5 EVER Cracked it :)

Reactions: 8 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diana. Starvation is not the answer lol!!! :)

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Reactions: 4 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 this morning. I am running low on strips so this is the first time I have tested for a while.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops I totally forgot to test. Will go now

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.9 but considering I've been up for two hours, eaten brekkie and tidied up house I think that's reasonable.

I'm dismissing it today!

Reactions: 3 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.3 this morning so fairly normal for me, and after yesterday better than expected. Went out with friends to celebrate hubby's birthday, ended up having coffee with sugar instead of my normal sweeteners, and a piece of cake. Got home about 4.00, about 2 hours after the cake (we hadn't had any lunch) took a reading and it was 13.8. Decided to have a veg and gammon omelette for tea to try and have as few carbs as possible and by 7.30pm it was down to 5.5. 7.0 when I went to bed, so I think my liver had decided that the low 5s were too low.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
4.7 this morning - did it before I even got out of bed!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1..........day off so didn't test till just getting up 8.30AM when normally 7.00AM, went to bed at 5.5 so guess my liver was telling me to get up!!

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another one here with a 5.8 this morning. Pleased though because I went to bed on a high 6.5 last night.

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 today which I am surprised by as woke up in a panic attack from a strange dream and I ache all over so my fibromyalgia has obviously flared up in response to the wall of doom and the heat. Some folk are worse in Winter but the heat and humidity seem to set my aches off even more. Next time I'm coming back round as a cat as ours has slept for the last 24hrs virtually bar the odd trip to deign to lick the jelly off his meaty chunks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from bacon and eggs at breakfast, I barely ate yesterday as it was too hot and I had full-on day of moving furniture and bedrooms around in preparation for No 1 daughter's homecoming tomorrow. Went to bed physically exhausted with aching limbs and bs of 5.8.

Fasting bs this morning.........5.8! My first fasting 5 EVER Cracked it :)
Starvation, exhaustion and excitement is clearly the way forward Diana!! Joking aside, though. Great news. :) Next stop, the 4s?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.0 for me this morning.

I thought I might have been closer to my upper personal range, so a pleasant surprise. Yesterday was a hungry day, and a carby day. This was partly due to eating breakfast at a friend's (vegetable frittata - delicious, but more potato than I would have added for myself), and partly our beef rendang for dinner. That's one of our favourites and so full of flavour. I tend to have it with cauli florets if I'm on my own, but with my OH, and on my slightly more flexible regime, I have it with yellow rice or noodles. Yumm, yumm, very yumm.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Starvation, exhaustion and excitement is clearly the way forward Diana!! Joking aside, though. Great news. :) Next stop, the 4s?

Thank you! 4's? No pressure then? :)

And re your post about frittata - I have a great recipe given to me by a friend when I was in Australia - for a zucchini alternative which doesn't use potato which I've only just realised must be a good LCHF dish...

Zucchini Slice

12oz zucchini (courgettes) - I used more :)
1 large onion
3 rashers bacon
1 cup strong tasty cheese
1 cup self-raising flour (I often omit this)
1/4 cup of oil
5 eggs - lightly beaten
salt and pepper to season.

Trim the ends off the courgettes and grate coarsley
Peel and finely chop the onion
Remove rind from bacon and chop coarsley
Combine courgettes, onion, bacon, cheese, sifted flour, oil and lightly beaten eggs and season with salt and pepper.

Pour into a greased tin or quiche dish and bake in moderate oven (350F) for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

Delicious hot or cold, in picnics or for breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.