How often do you test?

Fryertown2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Quick question for all type 1 Diabetics reading this..

On any typical day how often do you test your blood sugar & when?

I have had an insulin pump since July 2012 to get my sugars in a safe range to become pregnant, which I did and now have a healthy 9 month old baby boy....I now in the words of my doctor need to relax with my testing, so was interested what everyone else does. I have been diabetic for 24 years but cant remember a time I wasn't trying to get or was pregnant!!!!

Thank you.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I test approx 4 or 5 times a day. More if I'm driving a fair bit. I test before breakfast and usually prior to eating.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 diet and exercise only, I test:

On waking
Before breakfast
Before dinner
+ 2 hrs
At bed

Then if I'm eating anything new that might spike my carbs.

The first two are only because I am monitoring my dawn phenomenon at the moment.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a Dexcom so every 5 mins or so, finger test about 4 times a day and more if need to check the Dex result.

Pre-Dex I tested about 8+ times a day.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

I could have done with the cgm today..... put new cannula in at lunchtime with new cartridge and tube....bg was ok... eat 10g carb with bolus.. Done a bg test 15.30 expecting to see bg of about 8mmol. Got a fright to see bg of 19.3mmol. Disconnected from set....did prime through tube...insulin running through it like a hosepipe. Did correction bolus by pen and then decided to take out the set.... Bent in 2 places. Why who knows. OH said it looks like introducer not pulling back as it should. H?mmmmmm he might be right. Have now put another set in from another batch. The one that failed come from a complimentary box of just 2 sets. If I had cgm, I would have seen the rise up instead of seeing it on the bg test

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test around 6-8 times a day depending on how active I am etc.

Swebster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just checked my accu check mobile I've tested 515 times over last 90 days that's 6 times per day on average but some days I don't test at all so probably depends how motivated and what I'm doing that day. Even with all those tests still very hard to keep between the 4-8 that I like

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am testing up to 9 times a day depending what I'm eating!

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Minimum of 6

1 fasting which doubles as pre-breakfast. then 1 two hours after breakfast.
1 before lunch and one two hours after
1 before evening meal and one two hours after.

I do others on ad-hoc basis. For instance just after exercise. Or am testing a new recipe.