impaired glucose tolerance to diabetes

saianil.vit

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Regarding impaired glucose tolerance can any one provide me the info on the below 2 items
1.On an average how many years would it take for impaired glucose tolerance to convert into diabetes?
2.whats the average age at which people can get this IGT?

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just got this quote from Widepedia

"Impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) is a pre-diabetic state of hyperglycemia that is associated with insulin resistance and increased risk of cardiovascular pathology. IGT may precedetype 2 diabetes mellitus by many years"

It is often discovered when attending surgery for another matter and since it is symptomless there is an estimate that seven million people in the UK have it. The older the patient the more likely they are to suffer from it.

A

AnnieC

I was diagnosed with glucose intolerance almost 9 years ago, last years blood test showed I was very borderline T2 with levels of 6.9 and 2 weeks later 6.8. Due to have my yearly blood test in September to see if I am T2. Yes I do believe age has a lot to do with it I am 75 and do not really fit into any group for Diabetes, I have never been overweight always had a healthy diet low in sugar and with very little proccessed foods I don't have any other medical conditions and no family history of diabetes

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Hi,
Regarding impaired glucose tolerance can any one provide me the info on the below 2 items
1.On an average how many years would it take for impaired glucose tolerance to convert into diabetes?
2.whats the average age at which people can get this IGT?

First, IGT is also known as pre-diabetes. But it is really early diabetes; the diagnostic thresholds are already higher than the point of no return. But I'll answer based on possible progression to diabetes diagnostic levels.

1. If the person ignores it, fairly quickly. If they make appropriate lifestyle changes, possibly never.
2. There is no official average. I've seen diagnosis of kids and also of geriatrics.

Reactions: 2 people

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was diagnosed with glucose intolerance almost 9 years ago, last years blood test showed I was very borderline T2 with levels of 6.9 and 2 weeks later 6.8. Due to have my yearly blood test in September to see if I am T2. Yes I do believe age has a lot to do with it I am 75 and do not really fit into any group for Diabetes, I have never been overweight always had a healthy diet low in sugar and with very little proccessed foods I don't have any other medical conditions and no family history of diabetes
I believe more research is needed to investigate the gradual rise of fasting blood glucose levels in the elderly. I am 67 and have no doubt I am correctly diagnosed. However my mother, 89, has gradually risen from 5.8 to over 6 without any other signs of diabetes and quite normal post-prandial levels.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I believe more research is needed to investigate the gradual rise of fasting blood glucose levels in the elderly. I am 67 and have no doubt I am correctly diagnosed. However my mother, 89, has gradually risen from 5.8 to over 6 without any other signs of diabetes and quite normal post-prandial levels.
I agree, a lot of research is about reversal and control rather than the prevention at prediabetic.
The age thing, I believe is the body's reaction to the many years of fats gathering around the endocrine system. And it's inability to control the rise in blood glucose levels. Also the bodies lack of certain nutrients that are created by a younger person. Age certainly makes people susceptible to a lot more illnesses and conditions.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
It is carbohydrates that give you high Blood glucose Annie, sugar is just one of them. Do you eat many high carb foods?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First, IGT is also known as pre-diabetes. But it is really early diabetes; the diagnostic thresholds are already higher than the point of no return. But I'll answer based on possible progression to diabetes diagnostic levels.

1. If the person ignores it, fairly quickly. If they make appropriate lifestyle changes, possibly never.
2. There is no official average. I've seen diagnosis of kids and also of geriatrics.

That's interesting.

I have read in several places (the one that springs to mind is bloodsugar101), that 2/3 of Prediabetics will never reach the criteria to be diagnosed diabetic.

I have no opinion on this, because I haven't collated the data! But I am curious as to why you state that 'the diagnostic thresholds are already higher than the point of no return'.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's interesting.

I have read in several places (the one that springs to mind is bloodsugar101), that 2/3 of Prediabetics will never reach the criteria to be diagnosed diabetic.

I have no opinion on this, because I haven't collated the data! But I am curious as to why you state that 'the diagnostic thresholds are already higher than the point of no return'.
The first time was somewhere on Jenny's web-site too, but I'll have to look for some old cites. If you look at Jenny's comment at the foot of this post you will see her criteria are much tougher than the medical establishment. As mine are too. We are old friends from alt.support.diabetes. I'll be interested to read the cite you mention if you can find it.

Give me some time to reply with support, as I am a little busy at the moment writing up travel blogs of past trips - my other passion. I am presently wandering through Morocco and have several more to write on Casablanca, Rhodes and Crete. Time is the enemy.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The first time was somewhere on Jenny's web-site too, but I'll have to look for some old cites. If you look at Jenny's comment at the foot of this post you will see her criteria are much tougher than the medical establishment. As mine are too. We are old friends from alt.support.diabetes. I'll be interested to read the cite you mention if you can find it.

Give me some time to reply with support, as I am a little busy at the moment writing up travel blogs of past trips - my other passion. I am presently wandering through Morocco and have several more to write on Casablanca, Rhodes and Crete. Time is the enemy.
@Alan S Enjoy the rest of your holidays! Marrakech is a lovely place. We have a planned trip to Uluru on September followed by Europe and Santorini, Hopefully by that time testing/diabetes management will be second nature to me---something that's become a habit it's not so much of a worry anymore and I'll be able to enjoy the holidays. Jenny's advice is spot-on, easy to understand---thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Alan S Enjoy the rest of your holidays! Marrakech is a lovely place. We have a planned trip to Uluru on September followed by Europe and Santorini, Hopefully by that time testing/diabetes management will be second nature to me---something that's become a habit it's not so much of a worry anymore and I'll be able to enjoy the holidays. Jenny's advice is spot-on, easy to understand---thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Sorry, I worded it badly. The trip was a year ago, I've just been lazy writing about it :). If you're interested there is a link to the travel blog on the diabetes blog. You will find lots of pages on parts of Europe there too.

What part of Oz are you in?

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, I worded it badly. The trip was a year ago, I've just been lazy writing about it :). If you're interested there is a link to the travel blog on the diabetes blog. You will find lots of pages on parts of Europe there too.

What part of Oz are you in?
No worries @Alan S ! I'll be checking it out too glad uve managed to keep a travel blog at the same time ;) from nsw

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was talking to a former manager of mine who has been pre-diabetes for 10 years. For much of that time he has been very close to being declared diabetic. He has managed it though exercise and diet.

Don't know if he takes any medication though.

seaspray1998

Is there any medication that can help with the glucose intolerence?

I've been told that metaforin is not enough on it's own and you need another mediction (name escapes me) to go with it, to be effective.

Would love to hear back on yr thoughts.

Thanks,
Ania