Whey Protein powder

A

AnnieC

I had never heard of whey protein powder before I joined the forum but looking at the recipes here I saw that some contained it so I thought I would get some. I went into a shop..not H&B.on the high street.that sold it and asked the guy serving about it and why it would be used in cooking. He said he really didn't know about it in cooking as people mostly body builders those who do weight training a lot of gym exercise and athletes had it as a drink. He said if I was thinking of using it I should be careful as used with normal meals that contained protein already it could be to much protein for the kidneys so not good and he would not recommend it so I didn't buy it
Can you tell me why it is used in some recipes here I think one was pancakes. I usually make those with ground almonds eggs and milk so what would adding whey protein do for them

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i use the strawberry one in a cheesecake recipie, but if im honest dosnt do much for it but using it up and wont be buying again . x

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty new also and haven't looked throu
gh all the recipes yet. I know of guys in the gym that include it in their food etc to add to their daily amounts for more gain. I know of guys putting it in their porridge or adding it to home made shakes etc so I doubt it would do any harm. However as the guy in the shop told you its normally used by gym goers /athletes etc as it aids in muscle development and recovery. If you where taking it in excess amounts daily without the exercise it would most likely lead to weight gain.

Be wary of what type of whey protein also you go for as there are many different types and some have many other things added to it. The one I use for my gym pre/post workouts has creatine in it. This is specific for muscle tissue recovery but can be harmful to those who may have kidney problems. Also some have added sugar to help boost workout performance etc. You can also get specific low carb diet versions with added green tea etc. I was originally taking the Maximuscle Lean which was good (but expensive) and helped me to begin with in losing my initial weight but I then had to switch as their next ones up after that had too much sugar. The one I now use (MATRIX GOLD) has only about 3.8 gram carb per serving and no added sugars. Matrix also do natural peanut butter and pancake mix (haven't looked at the ingredients for that yet but have their peanut butter) Another one that has 100% zero carb versions is myprotein ,,, I just went for the matrix as its cheaper to buy in bulk and has the added creatine. Whatever ones you look at, if you buy online make sure they have the COA certificate. I printed out the matrix COA and ingredients and took along to my GP first.

http://www.matrix-nutrition.co.uk/
http://www.maxishop.com/
http://www.myprotein.com/home.dept

A

AnnieC

Thanks but I still don't know why anyone uses it in cooking what is the advantage of it ...if any, ,over using ground almonds or coconut flour in recipes. I did ask this question some time ago but no one seemed to know the answer then all they knew was if a recipe said use then they did.

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It may just be a safer way of incorporating more protein into a diabetic diet. I have read that a lot of the high protein based foods such as red meats etc aren't recommended for diabetics as they are high in saturates which can lead to heart disease and as diabetics are at a higher risk of that anyway they should minimize their intake,,,especially if they already have a condition or on statins etc.. Whey protein is a safe way of replacing that I suppose.

A

AnnieC

cc
It may just be a safer way of incorporating more protein into a diabetic diet. I have read that a lot of the high protein based foods such as red meats etc aren't recommended for diabetics as they are high in saturates which can lead to heart disease and as diabetics are at a higher risk of that anyway they should minimize their intake,,,especially if they already have a condition or on statins etc.. Whey protein is a safe way of replacing that I suppose.

Yes maybe thats the reason still a bit of a mystery though as most who do use it in cooking don't really know why but use it anyway. I imagine most people here get the amount of protein they need especially those that do LCHF...unless they are hard excercisers. If our diet has normal amounts of protein then whey powder is not needed. I don't eat red meat to much saturated fat for me so only eat chicken but get protein from fish, dairy eggs and Quorn etc so I will not be using Whey protein myself. My kidney and liver functions are good so don't want to mess that up with to much protein

Last edited:

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As mentioned above, Whey protein is mainly used by muscle builders. I add lots to my porridge every morning and like the added flavors in many of them.

I also eat lots of turkey, chicken and fish (all high protein)

I like the shakes as well. Just get a low carb / sugar version if you WANT more protein.

I also have and like the protein flapjack/ chocolate bars which many are diet / low carb sugar versions.

SamPayn

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @bonus. I think the question here is what does protein powder add to the recipes in which it is used (apart from protein!), and can substitutes be made by people who don't want to increase their protein intake due to the presence of this ingredient in the recipe (i.e. who are not taking protein powder for the benefits that it offers).

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have used Whey powder for the first time today as I made a bread loaf and it tastes yummy.... hope i don't get bulging muscles though...... kidding

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well am unsure now after reading whey powder may be bad for your kidneys ...any one any info on this?

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well am unsure now after reading whey powder may be bad for your kidneys ...any one any info on this?

I think its mainly creatine (which can be in some protein shakes) that can cause kidney problems. But even then it would have to be a high concentrate as you can buy creatine in its own raw form and some bodybuilders will be using that in addition to their protein intake. Most creatine even usually advises to only use for set periods and then go off it again for a period of time.

I don't think whey protein on its own would be any problem unless someone already had a kidney problems which is why I mentioned it. Your GP would check your kidney functions when checking your bloods so if you have never had an issue I wouldn't be too worried. You can always check with the GP first if you are unsure of any of the ingredients or side effects. I took the COA printout along with me to the GP and had him give it a close look,,, gives piece of mind more than anything else.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be good to know that the body makes saturated fat (because it's part of our body structure) from carbs.
Why not have a good read from Dr Bernstein about sat fats (and there are many more sources debunking the myth about sat fats)
http://www.diabetes-book.com/articles/Truth.shtml

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I won't touch whey or soy protein with a 100 foot poll, I use Pea Protein for my shakes and to bake and cook with .. why in my baking? because it adds extra protein to the gluten free cooking that I'm doing and take the place of a dairy option that is so common in many cakes and cookies, plus it ups the nutritional value of the item and works for what I use it for. Which is breakfast on the go options and snacks while at work that are even carb and high protein to keep me going (i'm on my feet from 7am till 5pm and on the move 90% of that time so burning a lot of calories in the process).

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have never heard of pea protein so will read about it....I used whey powder to make some bread and have had a bit of wind ooops so am putting it down to that although my hubby seems fine??

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never heard of pea protein so will read about it....I used whey powder to make some bread and have had a bit of wind ooops so am putting it down to that although my hubby seems fine??

Some protein powders can do that while the body adjusts to it,, but should settle in a bit. At least its just wind you've had,,you should have seem what maxi-muscle lean did to me when I first went on it the first week,,, if you know what i mean ;(

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
laughs.... well so long as its not just me ....laughs

A

AnnieC

This is what I was told when I went to buy some whey protein powder when I thought a couple of whey protein shakes as well as my meals may help me to put on a bit of weight.They said if I was eating normal meals and was not a hard exerciser or into weight training and body building..I am 75 lol...that it could be to much protein and that is not good for the kidneys or liver.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
so putting this into baked products can be over doing it then??

SamPayn

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's a question you're better discussing with a dietician, and/or your doctor.
Our NHS dietician did pull a face when I described the recipe I have discovered to her, but seemed reassured when I said that this was only part of our way of reducing carbs. My husband is only looking to reduce his carb intake, not eliminate it altogether. So, in addition to a limited quantity of wholemeal bread in a day, he sometimes eats a slice or two of low-carb substitute bread, and that not every day. From this recipe that is equivalent to 3.75 to 7.5g of whey protein powder, and not every day, as I said.
Your kidneys do process protein, so extra protein is extra work for them. I'm guessing that the amounts of whey protein my husband will be eating on this basis shouldn't cause a problem.