How often to check bg

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys!

Been a while since I've been on here, had a lot going on.
I hope everyone is well and happy.

I've started pump therapy today! So far all is going well, bg was 25.8 this morning after not having any basal but it's came down to 12.6 now so it's heading in the right direction.

I'm not sure on how many times to test this week? I'm thinking that I test every hour that I'm awake and then at 2am to ensure that the basal rate is right. Is that correct?
We went through so much information this morning I don't think I took it all in!!

Thanks in advance.

Indiana x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's great news that you've finally started on the pump Indiana :)

Hopefully some pumpers will be along shortly to give you some advice on bg testing and getting the basal rate right, good luck!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
We all probably got different advice on this when first sent home with the pump. I probably checked every couple of hours for the first few days to see how it went and then reported back to my DSN and she advised what changes to make in the early days. Almost 3 years on and she has no input into the changes I make to basal as I'm confident enough to do them myself. In the first few nights I would check at midnight 3am and again at 6am as I found it was the night when I needed to lower the original basal rates that were set the most. The day ones needed adjusting but much less. Have you got more than 1 basal rate set throughout 24 hours or have you got the 1 rate at the moment? Don't worry its a lot of info and if it makes you feel better it took me a good few months before the basal rates were perfect. (Then spring and summer came along and they had to be changed again!!). You will find as you get more used to a pump that it's easy to make adjustments yourself which is the beauty of a pump. Please don't be scared to ask anything as it's scary to begin with. All the best,

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

Bg testing is about every 2hrs during the day as apart from having a cgm, bg testing is the best way to ensure that the pump is working ok with the infusion set and will also help you sort out yr csrb ratios and basal etc.

Make sure that youve got a back up ..... like insulin pen in csse of high bg that's gone too high and plenty of test strips.....about 200 if possible and also some keytone test strips just in case. Make real good friends with yr bg meter .......

Reactions: 3 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies! I've been testing every hour (I've always been a bit obsessive about it!)
Just one basal rate at the moment until we figure out what I need properly.
I've got plenty of test strips and I'm carrying my pens around with me just in case!

I'm a bit paranoid about it at the moment but I'll relax over time.

I'm really looking forward to this stage in my diabetic life.

All the best

Indiana x

iHs

On one basal rate over 24hrs, some of the time it wont be too far out, but at other times esp during the night, bg levels can go low as they can high, so if you find yourself going low, eat about 2 jellybabies as basal will be the only insulin controlling bg levels once the bolus has worn off and then test again 30mins later to mzke sure that yr bg is up to 6mmol and then go back to zźzzzzzzzz for another 3hrs and then test again and if still low, then jellybabies again and then hopefully the DP will start to rise you up. If you go high, the pumps correction ISF, will calculate a correction dose for you but until you get yr basal rate ok with the bolus, the correction may be enough or too much or too little. So dont worry and panic.....as someone else often said...Rome wasnt built in a day. Come to think of it....dont think it was built in a year either.

What pump have you got?