Heat lowering blood sugars?

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
Is anyone finding the heat is giving them more frequent hypos?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes, it's quite common among insulin users to lower their insulin doses when the weather gets hot, over the last few weeks I'm certainly testing my bg more than I normally would.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, This last week has made life a little more difficult. Day Time insulin requirements have dropped off a bit, also had to eat somthing with a little bit of faster acting sugar with lunch due to the insulin acting faster than my sandwhich

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish that happened to me. I'm having the opposite problem. BGs seem to be permanently high the last 2 weeks. Really annoying as I've got my hba1c to be done on Wednesday. It'll be the first since I started reducing my carbs and getting much better readings. Will be very irritated if it comes back high because of a couple of weeks of heat :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I wish that happened to me. I'm having the opposite problem. BGs seem to be permanently high the last 2 weeks. Really annoying as I've got my hba1c to be done on Wednesday. It'll be the first since I started reducing my carbs and getting much better readings. Will be very irritated if it comes back high because of a couple of weeks of heat :(

Are you sure the heat hasn't effected your insulin? if in doubt just change the cartridges.

Hope your Hba1c isn't too bad and you get a nice surprise :)

Kelsie

Yes!! It throws me completely, however some days if I'm really active as well I only have to have my back ground insulin because the heat really reduces my levels! So it has it benefits too :) ha

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JacHibbert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is anyone finding the heat is giving them more frequent hypos?
I have been on an insulin pump for just short of two years. Last year was very hot (I live in The Lake District so a bit of a shock for it not to rain in the summer) and had to reduce my basal rate for most of the day in work to 30-40% This is the equivalent of cycling up some of the passes such as Whinlatter so for me I need a big drop in insulin. Some people have a rise in BG like most things we are told it all depends on the individual. I must admit I never noticed this change whilst on the pens, but then I didn't cycle that much either. I've found over the last few weeks that the same applies as last summer. Hope this helps.
Type 1 since 1972 aged 3
Last HbA1c 5.9 :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's much the same on MDI Jac, I find I need less insulin in the summer than I do in the winter.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was out in Brazil for nearly a month recently, spent a lot of that time in hot climates, I had to reduce my insulin, both basal and bolus by about a third. Hypos for the first few days until i figured it out.