Is almond flour a good alternative to flour made with wheat?

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi
Yes very good for most Low Carb "Breads" cakes etc., but about 10 times the price of normal flour
You will find recipies in the food and nutrition forums

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
Hi
Yes very good for most Low Carb "Breads" cakes etc., but about 10 times the price of normal flour
You will find recipies in the food and nutrition forums

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Everything I make with almond or coconut flour is yummy for bread and cakes. The only exception was some peanut cookies that were disgusting, even the birds have ignored them!!

Loving life

Reactions: 3 people

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
Yes.

Next question? :)

Reactions: 2 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Its good option if your not going to be giving it to any one with a possible nut allergy - if you might then not such a good idea at all

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it all the time - on its own for sweeter type baking and mixed with milled golden flaxseed for savoury stuff.

If you have Indian or Asian stores near you it might be worth checking them out for the almond flour/ground almonds as often it's cheaper there.

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another enquiring mind wants to know, as I've been debating soy flour as an alternative to coconut, which I find difficult to use in baking.

Robbity

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
First the majority of soy is GMO (knowing that GMOs comes with more pesticides then non-GMO crops). Soy are high in phytates (phytic acid) which block absorption of minerals. Soybeans are very rich in Omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which can cause problems. The isoflavones found in soy can activate and/or inhibit estrogen receptors in the body, which can disrupt the body’s normal function. Fermented soy products are slightly better because the fermentation degrades some of the phytic acid.

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK thanks - no soy flour then! I thought about GM but didn't know about the other stuff...

Robbity

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First the majority of soy is GMO (knowing that GMOs comes with more pesticides then non-GMO crops). Soy are high in phytates (phytic acid) which block absorption of minerals. Soybeans are very rich in Omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which can cause problems. The isoflavones found in soy can activate and/or inhibit estrogen receptors in the body, which can disrupt the body’s normal function. Fermented soy products are slightly better because the fermentation degrades some of the phytic acid.
About soy: How do we explain the Okinawans, the ones with the longest life expectancy in the world? They consume huge amounts of soy in their diets..and have low to nil occurrences of stroke, heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)