low carb high fat changes to myself

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
1st week over and done with.
Weight was 99.8 now 97.7!
Carb flu was awful..... but passed in 18 hours.
Was on 4 x metformin 500 and 1 x gliclazide 40....... now (waiting for docs appointment) 2 x metformin 0 x gliclazide -
bloods test readings -- before on full meds ----- morning 9.7 teatime 11.2 bedtime 10.7 --- after on self adjusted - morning 9.2 teatime 5.5 bedtime 6.5

the other change - i can watch TV without glasses on and can read text at twice the distance! how much damage do hte meds do?

today lunch having 2 pre cooked pork steaks, 4 slices cucumber, a slice of iceberg lettuce 1/4 orange pepper.

havent managed to give up coffee though!

not advising everyone changes meds, made my own choice there as gliclazide was hypo-ing me, fell as low as 3.2.... now i seem much more stable.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do you wish to give up coffee?

...and is that pork steak a real one or a pre-chewed one covered in stuff to disguise it.

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
im just amazed at the changes in myself..... the carb flu was a real low point... bt answers on here got me thru... will seek medical opinion on meds changes tho. but seems they are working

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The coffee is an individual thing. Worth testing to see what your reaction is, before you take the plunge.

Cheap coffee spikes me. Ruinously expensive single estate vintage blah di blah coffee doesn't.

Oh, and if you drink coffee a lot, you may be very pleased not to have gone through caffeine withdrawal at the same time as carb flu! Mr B had a 3 day headache.

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
3 weeks in..... now 94.8kg.... but more importantly got a bg average of 5.8. and taking no meds! am on an antibiotic, clarythromycin for a cellulitis, caused by a bite... but over all feeling better

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 weeks in..... now 94.8kg.... but more importantly got a bg average of 5.8. and taking no meds! am on an antibiotic, clarythromycin for a cellulitis, caused by a bite... but over all feeling better

Well done!

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well at week 7, i think...... now 90.9 kilos, the 1st stone has gone!!. have taken no meds for 3 weeks, and feel great, bg averaging 4.9 - 6.7 kinda normal. and i think i may have beaten the food addiction

Reactions: 5 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is the carb flu mentioned here? please

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the carb flu mentioned here? please

Carb flu is the symptoms that people may (usually) go through when they start on low carbing.

Its a combination of things which seem to mimic a virus - achy limbs, lethargy, feeling 'off', carb cravings, headaches, tiredness, heavy limbs... We are all different, so our symptoms vary too. Some people breeze through it all without a twinge.

It usually lasts a few days, then simply fades away, leaving you feeling (in my experience) brighter, perkier, sleeping better and more energetic than I ever did on carbs.

The bigger your carb glut beforehand, the greater your carb flu. Some people avoid it completely by cutting their carbs gradually.

Oh, and in my experience, your first bout of carb flu is by far the worst. Subsequent times it gets progressively milder. Nowadays, the only symptom I have is the odd carb craving, which is pacify by eating a bit more protein and fat for a few days.

What is really happening is that the body is learning to switch from running on glucose, to running on ketones. Once it has learned that, it seems to remember, and the switch I gets easier and easier.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. that explains the headache I Keep getting particularly in the evening and the tiredness. Started lchf last Thursday.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. that explains the headache I Keep getting particularly in the evening and the tiredness. Started lchf last Thursday.

In my experience, you need to drink lots and lots of water.
That helps a lot.

So do pain killers, if necessary.

People often forget to drink enough when eating low carb (you need approx 1 litre for every 5 stone of body weight, approx, every day). Then you need to add in extra in hot weather!

I once read that more headaches are caused by dehydration than anything else, and most of the time, the glass of water you wash the painkiller down with, does more good than the tablet!

Reactions: 5 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
In my experience, you need to drink lots and lots of water.
That helps a lot.

So do pain killers, if necessary.

People often forget to drink enough when eating low carb (you need approx 1 litre for every 5 stone of body weight, approx, every day). Then you need to add in extra in hot weather!

I once read that more headaches are caused by dehydration than anything else, and most of the time, the glass of water you wash the painkiller down with, does more good than the tablet!
In addition you might need some extra salt, cutting down on carbs means the body wash out some salt, 0,5-1 tsp salt mixed in water, especially in the hot weather, helpful also in carb flu.

Lezzles

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
CJ from the Egg heads
Shellfish
Leaving home without an umbrella
I started low carbing about 4 weeks ago but had got myself properly prepared had food to hand and found that a high percentage of fat keeps the carb flu at bay.
I had no symptoms at all this time and kept expecting them to come but they never did, any other time I've tried I've suffered badly and just wanted to give in.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App