Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! 4's? No pressure then? :)

And re your post about frittata - I have a great recipe given to me by a friend when I was in Australia - for a zucchini alternative which doesn't use potato which I've only just realised must be a good LCHF dish...

Zucchini Slice

12oz zucchini (courgettes) - I used more :)
1 large onion
3 rashers bacon
1 cup strong tasty cheese
1 cup self-raising flour (I often omit this)
1/4 cup of oil
5 eggs - lightly beaten
salt and pepper to season.

Trim the ends off the courgettes and grate coarsley
Peel and finely chop the onion
Remove rind from bacon and chop coarsley
Combine courgettes, onion, bacon, cheese, sifted flour, oil and lightly beaten eggs and season with salt and pepper.

Pour into a greased tin or quiche dish and bake in moderate oven (350F) for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

Delicious hot or cold, in picnics or for breakfast

Thanks for that. I'll definitely give it a whirl. I have to say, eggs are my greatest revelation since diagnosis. Like parcels of goodness.

And, as for the 4s? Aim for the stars and you may reach the moon. Personally, I'm slightly target driven. Well, when I say slightly..............:watching:

Reactions: 3 people

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
think i'm going to try that Dianagrace, i have courgettes and eggs, and some belly pork from yesterdays tea (forgot to buy bacon this week !) so can make that for my tea tonight, its too hot to faff about i've decided. suppose if the flour was to thicken it i could add ground almonds perhaps?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
think i'm going to try that Dianagrace, i have courgettes and eggs, and some belly pork from yesterdays tea (forgot to buy bacon this week !) so can make that for my tea tonight, its too hot to faff about i've decided. suppose if the flour was to thicken it i could add ground almonds perhaps?

I think it would be ok without flour - maybe an extra egg to get a set?

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually it was very nice, I minced the belly pork and stir fried for couple of mins. I've got enough left for breakfast and lunch tomorrow. And it set really well. Courgette is another veg I've discovered lol.

Reactions: 2 people

Jerri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was 5.7 before dinner. I had a small portion of home made lasagna. 2 hours after eating it is still 5.7. That's a first for me since I started testing so really happy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Sorry for double posting, but has anyone heard of this /used it? Apparently you can buy it in health food shops.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Beneficial effects of Brazilian propolis on type 2 diabetes in ob/ob mice: Possible involvement of immune cells in mesenteric adipose tissue. Kitamura H1, Naoe Y, Kimura S, Miyamoto T, Okamoto S, Toda C, Shimamoto Y, Iwanaga T, Miyoshi I.

Beneficial effects of Brazilian propolis on type 2 diabetes in ob/ob mice: Possible involvement of immune cells in mesenteric adipose tissue.

Kitamura H1, Naoe Y, Kimura S, Miyamoto T, Okamoto S, Toda C, Shimamoto Y, Iwanaga T, Miyoshi I.
Author information

Abstract
The anti-diabetic effects of Brazilian propolis were examined using ob/ob mice. Although repeated injection of an ethanol extract of Brazilian propolis (100 mg/kg, ip, twice a week for 12 weeks) did not affect body weight gain and food intake of ob/ob mice, blood glucose and plasma cholesterol levels were significantly attenuated. Moreover, the propolis extract partially restored glucose tolerance and insulin resistance, indicating anti-diabetic properties of the extract. The propolis-treated mice exhibited lower weight gain in mesenteric adipose tissue, while weight gains in inguinal and epididymal adipose tissues were not modulated. Flow cytometric and microscopic analyses suggested that the extract promoted accumulation of eosinophils into mesenteric and epididymal adipose tissues. Alternatively, the ratio of M1-like macrophages to M2-like macrophages in mesenteric adipose tissue was reduced by the propolis injection, coincident with the decrement of the number of interleukin-12A(+) cells. Levels of M1 macrophage markers, such as Itgax and Il12b transcripts, were decreased in the vascular stromal fraction of mesenteric adipose tissue, whereas those of pan-macrophage markers Emr1 and Cd68 were not influenced. Microarray and subsequent gene ontology term analyses suggested that propolis attenuated immune activation in mesenteric adipose tissues. Taken together, this indicates that Brazilian propolis improves diabetes in ob/ob mice, presumably through modification of immune cells in mesenteric adipose tissues.

KEYWORDS:
adipose tissue macrophage; chronic inflammation; eosinophils; metaflammation; ob/ob mouse; propolis; type 2 diabetes

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 5.7 before dinner. I had a small portion of home made lasagna. 2 hours after eating it is still 5.7. That's a first for me since I started testing so really happy.

I don't want to potentially rain on your barbecue John, but I many of us have found pasta dishes have a long lead time to the spike. I find it's slow to start, then sustained. It would be worth further checking next time.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.3 this morning. I've added fruit to my diet and works out well. I divide one serving to three (a banana is divided into three meals, same with apple/nectarine, just one per day) and BG is okay.

whiskymark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning. First post in this thread from me. 6.6 this morning. I was 7.2 a few mornings ago when I last did a fasting test. 8.3 last night two hours after dinner. Needs to be lower, huh?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 :(

Think I shouldn't have had the Starbucks coffee...

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.3 today, it is so constantly in the low 7 I am starting to think I am wasting strips, but then each morning I get up and wonder if it will be down to the 6s again and reach for the kit.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ruth - my BG goes down to lowest readings when I consume minimal carbs. Try it for a week and see what happens....

X

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
6.3, at the top end of the range I'm fluctuating around at the moment. Stayed up too late watching Commonwealth Games highlights probably.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.1 at 7am, went to bed at spot on 5..........didn't get up till 8am and was then 5.7, fed the cat, fed the parrot and before breakfast at 9 am 6.6- think it's going to be a strange day, humid already too, work at 2-8pm

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
What sort of parrot Kim? How does he/she get on with the cat?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning. First post in this thread from me. 6.6 this morning. I was 7.2 a few mornings ago when I last did a fasting test. 8.3 last night two hours after dinner. Needs to be lower, huh?

Welcome. Your 2 hr level after evening meal was still under the NICE recommendation of under 8.5, but that is a generous recommendation, and you are new to this game. You'll get there.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before evening meal I was spot on 5.
At +2hrs I was 6.1, yet still went to bed on 6.2. over 4 hrs later. Maybe there was too much fat or protein in my meal.
5.9 this morning.

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.