Cold Sores :(

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I've suffered from cold sores for years and have always put up with them.

I'm getting a bit fed up with them now as they are soooo irritating, I've tried using treatments but they don't always work well.
I've never asked this before but does anyone know of any good remedies or treatments that will actually work?

Thanks,

Mrs P

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use to get them when I was younger but they seem to have disappeared in recent years. Cold sores are a virus and it remains active for life I believe, try asking your Dr for something on prescription rather than buying the over-the-counter products.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
sorry you are getting cold sores
sorry i can,t recommend anything as i,ve never had a coldsore

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to get terrible cold sores. My dentist used a kind of light treatment on one and it cleared up really quickly. I haven't had a really bad one since then, and that was many years ago. I've been a lot healthier on the whole since having manuka honey too

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was a sufferer of cold sores. Tried all the rubbish treatments, perfume, vinegar, then we got that stuff in a tube which just spreads them. I used to get cold sores when I was run down. I don't anymore, cant even remember the last one.
I swear by Echinacea, when I feel one coming on I take 3 tablets, then maybe 3 more later. Invariably I don't have to take them after that. They help your immune system, go get some and try them.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Enchilada?

I can't use too many or I'll get chubby!
enchilada.jpg

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It was called Zovirax, and I even had a course of tablets, still came back to Echinacea.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to suffer with them quite badly, then I took l-lysine supplements for a while and since then I've only got them again (rarely) from windburn or sunburn.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get them when I've been out in the sun, unless it put on lip protection, total sunblock is best, but anything with high protection factor usually works in this country. If going abroad in the summer I always get the stronger one.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
<<<<<hates cold sores :( ive suffered my whole life.... ive heard some people even get them on their lips

lol, sorry nothing useful but some empathy

hope you find the answer... and tell us

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just use the normal creams alongside tea tree oil..........the tea tree oil works a treat, think it dries the affected area out..........try and catch them at the tingly stage and they shouldn't amount to much.....

if your getting them all the time that is usually a sign of being stressed and/or worn down, and could also be blood sugar related.....