Neuropathy - Walking Shoes / Trainers

meoman

Anyone else find it difficult getting a decent pair of walking or cross-trainer shoes that are good for diabetic related neuropathy in feet?.
Seems New Balance do some but cant find any other. Want them to look like a trainer for casual walking and leisure. Most of the uk stores and online seem not to be able to help. Thoughts?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey
Have you looked at skechers (or however you spell it). I don't have neuropathy but my feet are wide and I always struggled to find comfortable shoes. Got a pair of these on Sunday and I'm really happy with them!

Apparently, they're cheaper online than in-store, so someone at the forum suggested finding them in store and then ordering online :)

Reactions: 5 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know what the difference is between trainers for neuropathy and for normal feet, but one type you might want to look at is Nike Frees (other companies probably make similar now). They are designed so that the soul flexes with the foot in all directions to try and imitate the advantage of going barefoot. Whether it works or not I don't know but I am now on my 4th pair and they are the comfiest footwear I have ever had.

You might also want to go into a good independent sports shop, I have problems with getting shoes to fit they either rub my ankle or I walk out of them, sometimes I can do both. I spent over an hour in my local sports shop as the assistant went through virtually every design trying to find one that fitted. They even had me on their treadmill to see how they went instead of the normal couple of steps up and down the store.

Good trainers aren't cheap but a good fitting shoe is worth its weight in gold.

Reactions: 2 people
N

NicolaB70

I have a neurolgical disease (not diabetes connected) that affects my feet. I have always struggled finding the right footwear as my walking isnt brilliant. I've lived in trainers for years until recently. I brought myself a pair of Skechers go walk shoes. I can honestly say they are the most comfortable shoes ive ever worn ad I wish i found them sooner. They are very light and you dont know you've got them on. They come in different styles and coours including trainers and some also wirh a memory foam insole. My only advise is to get a size smaller then your normal shoe size. They can be pricey but they are definately worth it.

Reactions: 2 people

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
Totally agree with everyone who recommends Skechers, especially the ' go walk ' range. I also have nerve and tendon problems in both of my feet. At work I am standing/ walking on a concrete floor for 9 hours per day. I had tried nearly every range of footwear on the market before I discovered Skechers and now I wear them all the time. They do very stylish/casual trainers which are smart enough for work, at home I wear the ' go walk ' slip on canvas pumps and in winter I wear their 'chugga boots ' which are a million times more comfortable than uggs and a fraction of the cost.I buy mine online as you can often find them cheaper than in the shops.

Reactions: 5 people

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
I must admit I do like New Balance cross country running shoes as they are very light, last well and fit the foot shape really well so I never get blisters, I only have one complaint which is you have to go up half a size, once you know what size you need it is easy.

whosbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Some, but not many. Hate shopping at tesco!
Hi all, I think it's wise to get the right shoe or trainer especially for neuropathy problems. If it costs more, then surly it's better to pay the extra than to lose a foot or leg. I spend most of my time in work boots as I'm a driver for a builders merchant and I go through so many pairs of boots over time, one pair may last me a year if i'm lucky. At the weekend I visited my local 'Range' store and my daughter drew my attention to some foot gels for walking boots. They were made by Regatta and cost about a fiver. They are like a blue jelly feel on one side and a silky smooth on the up side. I placed they in my work boot and it was like walking on cushions. Blissfull week so far!

Reactions: 3 people