Prescription Lucozade type thing...

Gioconda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all - for yonks I've been buying Lucozade Sport Gel, to aid with any hypo's I get. I understand you can get something similar on prescription, and therefore free? Anyone know what they're called?

Thanks in advance.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think they are just oral glucose gel. I get them in packs of 6 I think. Bit like small tubes of toothpaste. Just ask to get them added to your prescription. I've not had one yet as I'm told they're not the tastiest hypo treatment you can get but they work :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They taste vile but I suppose the taste stops you from over-treating the hypo, you have to be careful with the tubes the gel comes in as the ends can break off and leak all over your pockets and bag.

I just use Jelly Babies.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trouble with Jelly Babies is they taste soooooo good. I end up over-treating and having to bolus for them :rolleyes:

Reactions: 8 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hey all - for yonks I've been buying Lucozade Sport Gel, to aid with any hypo's I get. I understand you can get something similar on prescription, and therefore free? Anyone know what they're called?

Thanks in advance.
I think you mean hypo stop or what ever it's called now a days. It's very expensive and tastes vile. Cheaper and better tasting option it to buy some liquid glucose from the cooking section of a supermarket. The NHS is broken enough without people expecting it to pay for hypo treatment. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Gioconda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you mean hypo stop or what ever it's called now a days. It's very expensive and tastes vile. Cheaper and better tasting option it to buy some liquid glucose from the cooking section of a supermarket. The NHS is broken enough without people expecting it to pay for hypo treatment. :)

Do you pay for your insulin?

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin is a prescription-only, sophisticated hormone produced by the body that some diabetics cannot produce. Sugar is cheap, readily available pretty much anywhere, in any form you wish. Which do you think the NHS should have responsibility for providing?

Reactions: 10 people

Gioconda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having paid National Insurance for 30 years, everything, that's what. And as they provide the sugar gel anyway, your point is redundant.

And thanks for the recap of what Insulin is.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can attest to the fact that glucogel tastes awful and is highly vomit inducing!! It is however available on prescription at your drs discretion. You may also be able to get glucotabs on prescription. If I was you (and I'm not!) I would stick to the sports gels, far far nicer (and they ain't great!)

Gioconda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can attest to the fact that glucogel tastes awful and is highly vomit inducing!! It is however available on prescription at your drs discretion. You may also be able to get glucotabs on prescription. If I was you (and I'm not!) I would stick to the sports gels, far far nicer (and they ain't great!)

Thanks - I think I will...seems to be the general consensus on here!

Scardoc

Having paid National Insurance for 30 years, everything, that's what. And as they provide the sugar gel anyway, your point is redundant.

And thanks for the recap of what Insulin is.

That's the spirit! Unless someone is suffering from regular unexplained hypo's then I'd rather see the money from all of our NI payments go to something more constructive such as providing T2's with test strips. That would save the NHS millions and, in turn, lead to hypo treatments being prescribed without anyone complaining.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I buy glucose tablets from any chemist. I always have a pack or some tablets handy with me. Personally I can't see the real need for these expensive glucose 'hypo' drinks unless you have frequent, serious hypos. BTW how often do you have hypos and is there any guidance the forum can give. May be you are having good support from your surgery but many don't.

Gioconda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not that many...maybe 1 every couple of months? Mostly due to over-injecting, and not eating enough. Hopefully it's not too much of a problem for me.
I never just 'get' them...An no - I don't get great support from my GP or nurse.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you on Basal/Bolus and carb-counting? I assume you are, but sometimes posters don't carb count which is essential to minimise hypos. Other than that, I guess we all make injecting mistakes from time to time.

jenni ms

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
tomatoes
you can get

Thanks in advance.
gluco gel from doctors in packs of 3 tubes or in one bottle ,but it is vile i prefer gluco tabs in a tube for about 80 to 90 ish pence from boots orange raspberry also other types of lucozade tablets too

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fruit puree packs, intended for weaning children, are far cheaper and far more pleasant source of sugar than sports gels etc, plus screw on lids mean you don't have a sticky pack to deal with. About 50p - 80p per pack for 80g or 100g, which contains 9g to 20g os carbohydrate.

jojojojo2012

I have a 7 year old T1 and was told to only use glucogel/dextrogel when they are incapable of eating or drinking safely but still have gag reflex - to rub it in their gums/cheek pouches to bring them up. Didn't realise you could just swallow it like food! Never used it yet.

We use glucojuice, a 60ml shot bottle of well..... glucose juice! Measured so no overdosing and stock up when bogof in boots.

Reactions: 3 people

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all - glucogel and alternatives are vile - but you can also get something called GSF-SYRUP on prescription. It is a mix of sucrose, fructose and glucose, is very fast acting and lasts a bit longer than glucose. It comes in Tropical flavour and is quite nice. It is in long foil sachets and you have to tear the end off - not half as convenient as those little bottles of Gluco Juice you get in Boots (my fave options, but horrendously expensive) but ok. However when out you need a plastic bag to throw away the sachets as they are uber-sticky, and wet wipes to clean off your hands!