Is almond flour a good alternative to flour made with wheat?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can have low fat and high carb with min protein and live a long healthy life, just not if you are t2 diabetic

The other end of the spectrim are Eskimo who are full on ketogenic on the ice

Reactions: 4 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okinawans eat a low glycemic load and do caloric restriction, don't have dairy and wheat in their diets. Soy is low in gi too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Desiccated coconut put through a kitchen food processor is coconut flour (cut finer)
Same with whole almonds.

Gorillamarks flour list is good
If you can handle gluten, any of the flour blends are better with LC gluten powder

Some low carb breads
www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/15-low-carb-bread-recipes.56352
I was really impressed with her graphic. It gives all the info you need in one handy package and knew that if I find useful that lots of other people here will too.

Reactions: 5 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can have low fat and high carb with min protein and live a long healthy life, just not if you are t2 diabetic

That's right, @jack412
Also, Inuits don't eat dairy and refined sugar. They also have high consumption of omega 3s.

Links on Inuit diet:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/25/8/737.full.pdf

(note: have a read on the last bit of the study where the Eskimos do experience a cycle of hypocholesteremia and hypercholesteremia depending upon the availability of food in relation to atherosclerosis and heart disease)

http://www.mydiet.com/mysteries-of-the-inuit-diet/

http://www.theiflife.com/the-inuit-paradox-high-fat-lower-heart-disease-and-cancer/

http://www.mydiet.com/mysteries-of-the-inuit-diet/

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They don't go hard core ketogenic by choice, on the ice they quickly run out of any carb

The problem is high fat and high carb processed stuff that you can't get in nature

It's either fat or carb, never both together for traditional health eating

there is also some euro bunch that are hardcore apricot eaters that have a long life

mpe

Is this high/low in absolute or relative quantities. A diet which is 70% glucose is still going to be "low carb" if you only eat fairly small quantities.
When it comes to sugars total amount or in in proportion to lean body mass appear be far more useful metrics than the amount relative to what else is being eaten. (Either directly or as "calories".)

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
About soy: How do we explain the Okinawans, the ones with the longest life expectancy in the world? They consume huge amounts of soy in their diets..and have low to nil occurrences of stroke, heart disease, diabetes and cancer

Actually the Island if Crete with a Medeterranian diet approach also holds this title. :)
Unfermented soy has the jury out due to claims it creates hormone imbalances. It's incredibly cheap to produce and often it's G.M
Tempeh (fermented soy) is touted as a wiser choice.
However...
I'm not so sure, as once again the people who told us Sat fat was bad are now backtracking and acknowledging Sugar is the main culprit detremental to our health.
This then leads consumers to go with artificial sweeteners which are equally as bad such as Aspartame, which is frankly evil stuff.
Even Coca Cola are producing a new green canned version sweetened with Stevia (yay) but then bizarrely still has 6 spoonfuls of sugar per can thus rendering this healthier version as practically useless.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually the Island if Crete with a Medeterranian diet approach also holds this title. :)
Unfermented soy has the jury out due to claims it creates hormone imbalances. It's incredibly cheap to produce and often it's G.M
Tempeh (fermented soy) is touted as a wiser choice.
However...
I'm not so sure, as once again the people who told us Sat fat was bad are now backtracking and acknowledging Sugar is the main culprit detremental to our health.
This then leads consumers to go with artificial sweeteners which are equally as bad such as Aspartame, which is frankly evil stuff.
Even Coca Cola are producing a new green canned version sweetened with Stevia (yay) but then bizarrely still has 6 spoonfuls of sugar per can thus rendering this healthier version as practically useless.
Hi @mcm,

Yes, Crete :)
Interesting enough, found a story of a man who got diagnosed with lung cancer in America and moved back to the island Ikaria, Greece. Lung cancer gone, never took chemotherapy and continued to live the next 30+years. Again low dairy (aside from goats cheese), no refined sugars/processed, more fresh produce, and emphasis on lifestyle. The article also covers the okinawans.

From the article: on lung cancer---
“It just went away,” he said. “I actually went back to America about 25 years after moving here to see if the doctors could explain it to me.”

I had heard this part of the story before. It had become a piece of the folklore of Ikaria, proof of its exceptional way of life. Still, I asked him, “What happened?”

“My doctors were all dead.”

From The New York Times

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/10/2...people-forget-to-die.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just a quick question ref almond four. In my recipes where it says almond flour, I just throw in ground almond from a pack.
Recipes turn out good, but would they better excellent if I blended or processed the ground almonds even more first?

Loving life

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just a quick question ref almond four. In my recipes where it says almond flour, I just throw in ground almond from a pack.
Recipes turn out good, but would they better excellent if I blended or processed the ground almonds even more first?

Loving life
In a word yes. At least in my experience the closer in consistency to flour flour if you know what I mean the better.

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
First the majority of soy is GMO (knowing that GMOs comes with more pesticides then non-GMO crops). Soy are high in phytates (phytic acid) which block absorption of minerals. Soybeans are very rich in Omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which can cause problems. The isoflavones found in soy can activate and/or inhibit estrogen receptors in the body, which can disrupt the body’s normal function. Fermented soy products are slightly better because the fermentation degrades some of the phytic acid.

thanks for the info

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding the Mediterranean diet, this was actually invented by a small group of people (olive ambassadors in the 80s including Ancel Keys (yepp the same fellow that made up the diet-heart theory and demonized sat fat), historically the Greeks used lard for cooking,

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Desiccated coconut put through a kitchen food processor is coconut flour (cut finer)
Same with whole almonds.

Gorillamarks flour list is good
If you can handle gluten, any of the flour blends are better with LC gluten powder

Some low carb breads
www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/15-low-carb-bread-recipes.56352

Actually there's a coconut flour with much less carbs made from coconut fiber and excellent in bread recipes - http://www.noble-house.tk/html/enge...nprana_organic_coconut_fibres_super_food.html

Reactions: 4 people

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding the Mediterranean diet, this was actually invented by a small group of people (olive ambassadors in the 80s including Ancel Keys (yepp the same fellow that made up the diet-heart theory and demonized sat fat), historically the Greeks used lard for cooking,

Hello

Whilst I agree in historical reference, I would take a Mediterranean diet as an indigenous culture, for which, the statistics speak for themselves.
The Cretians have one of the longest life spans on the planet.
I think Angel Keyes merely documented a lifestyle and culture that preceded him by at least a 100 years.
My point is that although I may apply the term Mediterranean diet. I would advocate it on historical, statistical and medical proof.
As for Sat fats, the jury has and no doubt will continue to swing both ways as to whether it's healthy or not.
I will say again that by cutting out all manner of processed foods and following a largely vegan diet, I am getting excellent results in both hb1ac and cholesterol tests.
The only exception being an elevated triglyceride level that the doctor isn't concerned about but I am, but, I do have this in hand and am working on "normalization" across the board.
Have I suffered on taste? Absolutely not, I'm on a new path of creativity and health with my diet and lifestyle. :D

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

Whilst I agree in historical reference, I would take a Mediterranean diet as an indigenous culture, for which, the statistics speak for themselves.
The Cretians have one of the longest life spans on the planet.
I think Angel Keyes merely documented a lifestyle and culture that preceded him by at least a 100 years.
My point is that although I may apply the term Mediterranean diet. I would advocate it on historical, statistical and medical proof.
As for Sat fats, the jury has and no doubt will continue to swing both ways as to whether it's healthy or not.
I will say again that by cutting out all manner of processed foods and following a largely vegan diet, I am getting excellent results in both hb1ac and cholesterol tests.
The only exception being an elevated triglyceride level that the doctor isn't concerned about but I am, but, I do have this in hand and am working on "normalization" across the board.
Have I suffered on taste? Absolutely not, I'm on a new path of creativity and health with my diet and lifestyle. :D

The story about the invented Med diet is a little longer and complex but no he didn't document a 100 year old diet or indigenous culture, they want us to believe so. The full story is relieved in The Big Fat Surprised, but you are welcome to believe what you want. If following historical and anatomical (like our gut) then humans are made to eat meat but not just the muscle meat and fish. As there's no evidence against sat fats and cholesterol is necessary for a only a working body but also our brain and would be surprised the number of Alzheimer's or dementia in general to further increase in the light of the statin use.
The best way to lower TGs (triglycerides) is to lower the intake or sugar and carbs, btw sat fats help to increase HDL, for anyone still think these numbers are important.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My brain is definitely helped by more fat, and my leg muscles are pretty much 99% repaired from statin damage. If fat can help my leg muscles, when approx 5 years ago I was feeling crippled and on full DLA then it does make me wonder whether low fat products are contributing to rises in dementia, or how much statins are affecting brains.. I LOVE FAT... It's given me my health back.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
From an interview with Nina Teicholz author of The Big Fat Surprise
Dr L: It seems the prevailing thinking on fat is that some fats, like olive oil, are the best for our health. You discovered in your research that the Mediterranean Diet is not what it’s cracked up to be. How did it come to pass that we all worship at the altar of olive oil?

Nina: The Mediterranean Diet originated from a survey of the eating habits of long-living Cretan peasants in the 1950s, who seemed to eat very little meat or dairy. However, they were surveyed shortly after WWII, when their economy was in ruins. Also, their diet was sampled during Lent, when animal foods were severely restricted. The data was therefore not any good and never grew any better. In fact, the reason that the Mediterranean Diet became celebrated and famous is that researchers fell in love with the sun-kissed, enchanting Mediterranean—and most of their studies and travel were funded by the olive-oil industry. It’s amazing how researchers, including some of the most respected people in the field today, thrived on the Mediterranean Diet conference junket. The actual science is far from impressive: it can only show that this diet is superior to the failed, low-fat diet (and what diet isn’t?). Tested against a higher fat diet, the Mediterranean regime looks far less impressive for weight loss or heart disease. Also, no one’s ever been able to pinpoint any special, disease-fighting powers of olive oil—which turns out not to be an ancient foodstuff after all but a relatively recent introduction to the Mediterranean diet.
http://www.drfranklipman.com/big-fat-surprise-a-conversation-with-nina-teicholz/

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From an interview with Nina Teicholz author of The Big Fat Surprise
Dr L: It seems the prevailing thinking on fat is that some fats, like olive oil, are the best for our health. You discovered in your research that the Mediterranean Diet is not what it’s cracked up to be. How did it come to pass that we all worship at the altar of olive oil?

Nina: The Mediterranean Diet originated from a survey of the eating habits of long-living Cretan peasants in the 1950s, who seemed to eat very little meat or dairy. However, they were surveyed shortly after WWII, when their economy was in ruins. Also, their diet was sampled during Lent, when animal foods were severely restricted. The data was therefore not any good and never grew any better. In fact, the reason that the Mediterranean Diet became celebrated and famous is that researchers fell in love with the sun-kissed, enchanting Mediterranean—and most of their studies and travel were funded by the olive-oil industry. It’s amazing how researchers, including some of the most respected people in the field today, thrived on the Mediterranean Diet conference junket. The actual science is far from impressive: it can only show that this diet is superior to the failed, low-fat diet (and what diet isn’t?). Tested against a higher fat diet, the Mediterranean regime looks far less impressive for weight loss or heart disease. Also, no one’s ever been able to pinpoint any special, disease-fighting powers of olive oil—which turns out not to be an ancient foodstuff after all but a relatively recent introduction to the Mediterranean diet.
http://www.drfranklipman.com/big-fat-surprise-a-conversation-with-nina-teicholz/
Hello
I take your point, but it's a reference from an opinion of funded science or study, in a narrow timescale.
Take a holistic approach for a moment, the Med diet didn't start in the 1950's, that's simply the study reference point.
I do appreciate it's findings but if we considered that their lifestyle started in the fifties then we're very much mistaken, their diet, lifestyle and culture has been modelled into what they are now for hundreds of years.
When I was last there almost all the men smoked, (not an example I advocate) still, statistically they remain a nation who have one of the biggest lifespans in the world.
Do we think Vegetarianism was invented in 1944?
The term vegan was, but if we believe there weren't practicing vegetarians before then then that's frankly silly, take several Indian cultures as an example.
On that point I will also add that Vegans have an incredibly good record when it comes to heart disease.
We could go on, but where does it end, from Atkins to Paleo there are advocates and doubters yet science insists on debunk and classification.
God help homeopathy then.:)
If anyone says to me that's cobblers I say then sniffing Glue doesn't have a reaction either? (I don't).
I have learned to keep an open mind and if you see my previous threads you'll see that I'm med free type 2. So I can say with some confidence that I'm doing okay.
I respect all viewpoints on this thread and it makes me think of how butter got such a bad rap yet once again I'm hearing the words super food in the same sentence.
As anyone to takes a positive approach to their health on these forums will tell you we all have different approaches and medications or diets which we workaround to better ourselves.
But of late there is a trend for one article to vent via social media which tells you this or that is good or bad and I would rather not be so easily swayed myself. I can give you raspberry ketones as an example of this, or the jury being out on dairy products and non-dairy alternatives such as almond milk performing beyond expectations.
Everyone armed with a science paper or journal seems to be an immediate authority on a given subject.
This is a symptom itself on information now being so readily available on the internet.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Believe if you want to that the med diet was based on culture spanning 100s years back, sorry to say but it's not, none the less if it works for you but stop claiming that culture historic thing, you just got that wrong. So much of nutritional advice so far has been political or/and based on bad science and it's great that the truth is coming out.
Somewhere a long the line when it comes to health and diet you need a bit of biochemistry and insight in metabolism and realising that science is moving forward. What you have to do is look beyond mainstream media headlines and sometimes discover that all truths are not that at all.