Flying to Orlando

McMittens

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m travelling to Orlando next year and wondering what other people have done with insulin etc when flying abroad? I currently use novorapid/lantus so I inject 4 times a day, any advice for this would be great.
I’m aware I need to get a doctors letter but I’m concerned with storing extra insulin and also the restrictions on liquid when flying??
Thanks all!!

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I declared the fluids at security, put the pens into the see-through bag and went through. Kept the doctor's letter as back up. I don't like to complicate matters unnecessarily. They never seem too bothered. Nowadays I show them my pump and they swab it for explosives and that's it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Keep your insulin cool in a cool bag or Frio wallets or ask the airline if you store your unused insulin supplies in the cabin fridge. I would get a letter from your gp and if they charge ask your dsn or consultant for one, they won't charge and will happily provide one.

Also take a copy of your repeat prescription in case your luggage is stolen, that way you can present it to a Dr or Pharmacist and purchase new supplies over there.

Not sure on the fluid restrictions but the airline you are travelling with will clarify matters, if your unsure about anything give the Diabetes UK Careline a ring, they have some excellent advise for type 1's travelling abroad.