Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never used this insulin before, but much like all new insulins just remember to test frequently and report back to your diabetes team with your bg readings, this will help them advise on adjusting the dose (if necessary).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Update... Now on 34u am and 26u pm BS range from 8-12 so a big improvement on high 20's

That is good news, just a few more tweaks.......................................

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The levimir you were on before really just acted to help control your basal glucose ie it was steady in the background helping to reduce the glucose released from your liver during the day.
Humulin M3 is a mixed insulin. It contains 70% isophane which is an intermediate insulin that also acts in the background. This insulin isn't as flat as levimir it does have a bit of a peak.
It also contains 30% soluble regular insulin, this is a faster insulin so can be used to help cover your food intake.
As you are taking it twice a day this is what the insulin profile looks like. (obviously the peaks will be a bit higher or lower according to the amount you are taking in each injection)
twice daily M3.png

When you take this sort of insulin, they work best if you eat at regular times and adopt a regular (in amount) carb intake.
It sounds as if you needed the extra help of the regular insulin.

Reactions: saaiim and Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Just moved onto Humulin M3 a few days ago and taking 25 units in the morning and 15 units in the evening.
(was previously on Humulin I for 5 years)

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on Humalin M3 for about 40 years twice aday, and in some ways it was better less mathematics every time you eat. I just stopped working for me about 2 years ago and now I'm on NovoRapid and Levimer and to be honest I'm hating the 8-10 jabs per day.

Reactions: Liam1955

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1 mate 40+ years

Are you still taking a quick acting bolus then?

M3 is a mix, so you will be getting some quick acting bolus with the M3 also, so its a strange insulin choice if you're already on MDI..

Lilylala

In on humulin m3 now for 6 months and had been the best medication since being diagnosed last april.Before I was on metformin , gliclazide , also tried liraglutide injection , none of which suited me and had bad side effects.with the m3 i have felt the best also my bs has become more steady am it's 7 , and pm it's 5.I have my. 6 month check up tomorrow so hopefully my h1c will be in good range too

Lilylala

Also forgotten to mention i am type 2 and I take 30 units am and pm started off on15 units until I got my be under control