Dr Cousens work

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hana, It's an old thread. You commented on it a couple of years ago.
The original poster posted quite a few posts after that . The little boy went onto a pump.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
What a load of tosh. You might just as well sacrifice a chicken to the great god Zarqua !
Total mumbo jumbo and dangerous dietary advice.
Are you sure Cousens doesn't work for the NHS ?

joeyhudson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Be this an old thread or not, I did the Cousins diet for 4 weeks upon my diagnosis purely because my GP clearly didn;t have a clue how to deal with quick onset type 1, except by saying keep my diet the same even tho he didn't know my current diet, and take these, they'll work in a few weeks but give you bad guts.

What good was that to me, my bg was over 33, ketones off the scale and hba1c 122, I was losing my sight and stumbling about, I had to do something and food was the only way I could try.

The Cousins diet is more radical than just raw vegan, raw vegan has variety in it.

Saying that tho it brought my levels down to manageable safer numbers in a matter of a few days, but for longer term solutions I'm not so sure how you would manage your life, other than be in the kitchen preparing food all day and running out of energy quickly as no background insulin and very very low carb. It is not really designed for type 1.

I would not put a child on this regime, I did it as a consenting adult with only myself to blame, but in the short term it did what I hoped and am glad of the experience.

The title of his book. 'There is a cure for diabetes' is irresponsible, but if you are on a specific diet to control bg and are doing without meds, you're not showing signs of diabetes. This isn't a cure, but it is control without meds if you can keep it up.

I couldn't, and am on Novomix 30 x2 a day, but do eat salad every lunchtime now, which I am thankful for.

I've also seen Boutenko and family, they say live on green smoothies and pay us for recipes, I am more suspicious of their formula and would not try that. Again neither of these formulas work for type 1 I feel as no insulin.

I told my DSN of this diet, she called it starvation, I'm now eating high carb, high fat high protein diet and am still hungry all the time.

greenstar888

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I am struggling at the moment - my son was diagnosed two weeks ago, with t1 and was in hospital 8 days, very ill. When we got home, a "well meaning" friend sent an email telling me I had to read a book by some guy called Dr Cousens, saying you could cure diabetes with a 21 day raw vegan diet. I told this woman that it was not helpful to me at this time to be told there was a) a cure and b) that if I'd fed my son raw vegan food or "kept his spiritual aura clean" that he would not have diabetes. I feel torn up and heartbroken as it is. I have not taken on board the advice, but it has got u dder my radar as she sent a follow up letter saying that she thought I would care enough to be open minded enough to try his approach. I am not prepared to either play with my son's health or subject him to any more invasive behaviours than he is already having to endure, but darn it, she has left me feeling an even worse mother. So, basically, I was wondering if anyone here had heard more about this guys theory and work and if anyone has anything to share about it, or advice on what I can say to this person to stop the thread she is on. Or am I indeed being a bad mother for not trying the diet?

Your story is so moving and so painful to read because it is clear how much disinformation is out there. Dr Cousens is a pioneer, his program for reversing type 2 diabetes works. All you have to do is do a simple google search and you will find plenty of support. If Dr Coursens is too out there for you, go to more traditional sources, look at Dr Neil Barnard's program for reversing diabetes. Check out his interviews. The most current research links Type 1 Diabetes which you say your son has, with milk protein. That's right, cow's milk most likely causes damage to your pancreas and causes type 1 diabetes. Don't take it from me, listen to the experts, plant based diet is the only way to go. You don't have to be raw, but it must be plant based, low fat, high raw. Watch here at 9 min 18 seconds about what you can do about type 1 diabetes: