Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Debmcgee, My morning reading seem to be where my problem is. I frequently get in the low 5s before meals (5.0 is still the lowest, I am eagerly awaiting seeing a 4) and can keep it in high 6s to low 7s after a meal. I do have a problem that if it gets into the low 5s too long before a meal then I get a glucose dump from my liver and have had a reading of over 8 just before the meal even though I hadn't had anything to eat and a couple of hours previously it had been in the mid 5s. Even having a small none carb snack doesn't seem to stop it. I have a feeling that as I am waking up and dosing for an hour or so before the alarm goes off is probably not helping. It will be interesting to see what it is when the mornings are darker. Getting up when I wake up wouldn't help as it would disturb my OH and we would just end up prowling and irritable until we left for work.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ruth, do you have 3 meals a day, evenly spaced? Going from the mid 5's during the day to 8 just before your next meal is something that has never happened to me. There must be some reason that you can perhaps control? Are you exercising at the wrong times? Just a thought.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
4.3 for me which is close to my lowest fasting level.

Reactions: 6 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What sort of parrot Kim? How does he/she get on with the cat?
He's an African grey rod............about 7 1/2 years old now, the cat joined us about a year later and they get on fine! Even sat together one day! Lewie can and does meow (as well as laugh, hiccup and sneeze!)

Reactions: 4 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do have 3 meals a day, unfortunately they are not evenly spaced.
Breakfast is normally about 7.00, ham, cheese, or a cereal bar (which only raises the BS about 1.0 max).
Lunch at 1.00 normally a sandwich made with 1 slice of white bread and plenty of meat cheese and salad filling, which actually doesn't raise the BS as much as I would have thought and is actually better than some of the other breads I have tried, abd a piece of fruit. We have no canteen, fridge or microwave available so it has to be something I can keep in my bag in a warm office and eat at the desk without risking making a mess.
Tea is normally between 5.30 and 6.00 depending on how long this takes to prepare and cook.

The 4.5 hour gap seems to be the best, I have even checked straight off when I get in from work at about 5.15 and again just before eat if it is closer to 6.00 and seen it start to go up in the time I have been preparing the food. Unfortunately where I work lunch is 1.00 for everyone and the bosses can be a bit old fashioned and inflexible. Sat a desk for 8.5 hours a day with half an hour for lunch so no exercise during the day, my exercise tends to be at home on the wii after tea. I try and have a small low carb snack during the morning that I can eat at my desk while working but it has to be something fairly quick and clean (I can't stand nuts of any type either the taste or texture so they are out I am planning on making some low carb biscuits to bring in when I manage to sort out all the ingredients)

As I won't bring my meter to work the times I have noticed a rise have been while I have been home but eating to the regime I have a work or if I have to go out and don't have lunch until mid afternoon when I get back in so exercise would play a part then as I normally walk rather than taking the bus if I have to go anywhere without my OH.

Overall it is improving and I have only been monitoring just over 2 months so I am still learning how to adjust things and how to balance my BS.

I should also mention that I am only on Metformin which was increased from 2 tablets a day to 4 tablets a day 3 months ago. I get my first hbA1C since starting the new regime tomorrow, all the receptionist could tell me was it was now marked as good, I have to wait until I see the nurse to get the figure.

Reactions: 3 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 this morning but that was at 9.45 after I'd woken at 6.30 and dozed on and off. I'm not a morning person but still seem to wake up early!

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of my problems is that I won't test at work, the office is attached to a factory and I don't feel anywhere is really clean enough that I am happy stabbing myself here, so I have to try and copy how I eat and the timings at the weekends to try and work out what might stop it. What does seem to be working is a snack that contains a small amount of carbs, a single square of Green and Blacks Maya Gold works, but it has to be a single square. It why I want to try and bake my own biscuits to bring in, I could wrap one in cling film and it could sit in my lunch box. Nibbling on the veg while I am chopping it also seems to help. If I am lucky I have this for another 30 - 40+ years, so taking a few months to get it sorted isn't a big deal.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
He's an African grey rod............about 7 1/2 years old now, the cat joined us about a year later and they get on fine! Even sat together one day! Lewie can and does meow (as well as laugh, hiccup and sneeze!)

They're the talkers aren't they - must be highly entertaining!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my problems is that I won't test at work, the office is attached to a factory and I don't feel anywhere is really clean enough that I am happy stabbing myself here, so I have to try and copy how I eat and the timings at the weekends to try and work out what might stop it. What does seem to be working is a snack that contains a small amount of carbs, a single square of Green and Blacks Maya Gold works, but it has to be a single square. It why I want to try and bake my own biscuits to bring in, I could wrap one in cling film and it could sit in my lunch box. Nibbling on the veg while I am chopping it also seems to help. If I am lucky I have this for another 30 - 40+ years, so taking a few months to get it sorted isn't a big deal.

You could take a small cool bag to work with you, to keep fresh stuff refrigerated. If you could have 2 ice blocks, or sets of blocks (depending on the size of the coolie), you'd always have ice bricks ready to go.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.3 for me this morning, which is nearing the upper end of my personal range.

I had a it of a day yesterday, wrestling with IT hardware. We run a cute, but sophisticated wifi network here, and somebody managed to blow up the router a couple of weeks ago. Having had a replacement shipped from the USA, it was my job to re-establish business as usual yesterday - only the hardware didn't want to play! Anyway, after a couple of hours it was done. It should have taken 20 minutes, so I was somewhat grumpy. My OH commented he'd never seen me so frustrated with an inanimate object. Ooooops. I think I may have lost a little perspective for a while.

Anyway, the upshot was I didn't do my dinner testing. Frankly, if I'd had a rogue reading I'm might just have had the sort of strop that just isn't appropriate from a grown adult. The good news was the food I was consuming was trusted, so wouldn't have been problematic anyway. The frustration probably meant I had extra adrenalin in my system for a few hours.

I lay in bed an extra hour this morning, watching iPlayer............ Because I could. :watching:

Today I will be spending some time on my little boat; just in the next bay, which is uninhabited at this time of year, so we'll just chillax, swim and generally take it all in.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.7 for me yeay. no brekkie as was having blood test at 8.30, tested for hba1c, thyroid, renal, cholesterol.

Dying to find out what hba1c has got down to in 10 weeks - it was 164 - suppose its asking too much to get down to 64 that i need for my operation - but i'll know when i ring them up tomorrow afternoon for the results

Am trying to drink more water am on 2nd pint so far today as i'm definitely not drinking enough.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ruth - have you added up total carb consumption for a day?

Even though my BG wouldn't spike too high before I really reduced carbs, I was still getting higher fasting BG. It really was only once I'd reduced my total carbs over the entire day, evenly spread out, that the fasting BG came down.

But that's just me. We're all different but I learnt that carbs don't agree with me period. So I'm off them.

Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.