Sporty Forty.e t

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Now I just look like I've been tangoed! Complete with streaks! Good job I don't take myself too seriously! Need new cozzie. Had intended holding off till near centre parks trip as had hoped to have lost weight but still static. :( Now where's that maxi dress?!

...oh dear Scandi, I know its not funny really but its the way you write about it!! It sounds more like Summer Nightmare than Summer Glow, will have to stick with pale legs....:wacky:

...at least the your weight's static at the moment, soo annoying though when you expect to lose some and you don't....I am quite convinced my scales are a stone out.....at least....:oops:

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did another 1/2 hr spraying. Hopefully the pumping up and down on pressure sprayer is working my bingo wings. Then another 17 mins on bike to burn off the big plate of ragu I ate.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Contact your lea and ask for him to be assessed. There are time scales with the lea rather than the school. It is vital because he could be allowed more time in his Gcses. Parents are allowed to start the assessment process. @peacetrain have I got this right?
I think so. Parents can discuss with school or there's always the GP route. The statementinf system is having a shake up at the moment. I'm not up to date nowadays but I do know that children won't be getting statements like they used to.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I've only done a 20 min walk and 2 x 5 min ones today:sorry:

Hey Mammy Zand that's fine by me , no need to say sorry. We are all keeping going after a good few months . Just think back to when we started , we 've come a long way.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
...oh dear Scandi, I know its not funny really but its the way you write about it!! It sounds more like Summer Nightmare than Summer Glow, will have to stick with pale legs....:wacky:

...at least the your weight's static at the moment, soo annoying though when you expect to lose some and you don't....I am quite convinced my scales are a stone out.....at least....:oops:
Took me ages to find cozzie which fitted. Wanted swimsuit and tanktini. Don't think centre parks is ready for me in a bikini! Am at that stage where a millet tent hides the bad bits but in underwear or a bikini?! Small children would be crying, people would be frightened! Lol! Asda had bottoms but no tops except for a bright purple leopard skin bikini (chavtastic and would have clashed with my you've been tangoed (badly) tan) or a black and gold thread one (I'm 43 and built for comfort not speed!) or a blue one with tassels and fringing. I am not joking! Fared better at sainsburys although took ages to find right combo! Still managed 2hours walking - yay!

Reactions: 5 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well yes I did make up the time today......but Dillinger's thread suits me better.....2 minutes exercise for only 5 days a week...perfect. I am trying really hard with this 40 minutes, honestly....I would just prefer to do 4 hours 40 min one day a week and then rest for the other 6 days. But I guess that's not really the point is it? I get points for trying to conform, yeh?

Yes I'll do it tomorrow, I'll get up early tomorrow. Today I overslept till 6.45, it was way too late to start exercising then.;)

Zand, if you can raise your heart rate significantly for 3mins or so and be able to manage down the blood glucose rise afterwards (you may actually have to do 15mins or so of walking afterwards to do this) then you're on to a winner. Just be careful you don't do yourself an injury over those 3mins when you're burppeeing (that can't be a word can it?!) Planking will be great for core strength, but I don't think it will give you a significant rise in heart rate. Just add in a little bit more and you have the recipe for success.:)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zand, if you can raise your heart rate significantly for 3mins or so and be able to manage down the blood glucose rise afterwards (you may actually have to do 15mins or so of walking afterwards to do this) then you're on to a winner. Just be careful you don't do yourself an injury over those 3mins when you're burppeeing (that can't be a word can it?!) Planking will be great for core strength, but I don't think it will give you a significant rise in heart rate. Just add in a little bit more and you have the recipe for success.:)
thanks for this. I'll try again when the weather is cooler, I really am hopeless when it's hot.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Think I have experienced both feeling inadequate, (when I read of the stuff some of you do which I will never be able to do again), perhaps now concern that my posts are causing others to feel that way. Confess to feeling envy of long walks and cycling, but as @Scandichic said 'horses for courses' no good wasting my time hankering over what cannot be. I have wonderful memories of fell walking and cycling and running, but it is time to make new memories. So looking for different activities to try.

If I sometimes sound as if I am showing off I am sorry. I am pleased with myself for getting more active, but don't want to do it at the expense of making anyone else feel as if they are slacking. I am also pleased with all of you, because reporting on here is spurring me on. As yet I haven't had a period of down time on the exercise. It will come, but I am confident that you will all understand, because this is one of the most supportive threads I have seen.

Well said Pipp!
I don't think it should matter what we do - let's face it there are always going to be people who are fitter and more able than us (unless we've got a professional athlete amongst us keeping a low profile - perhaps @sanguine is a closet Ironman?) so the only person we can compete with is with ourselves.
I personally love to hear how you tell everyone with pride what you've managed to do when you've had a 'good day' - it's inspiring and it gives me a warm glow to hear you've achieved another personal goal. It goes the same for anyone else - if that happens to be that someone has been unable to walk more than 10yds, and they have a day when they achieve 12yds then that is equally significant! Someone putting on running shoes for the first time is a huge deal, or getting on a bike after years of never cycling, or doing a 50min session of aquafit (how do you even manage that?!) is absolutely fantastic!
If some people have never really done a great deal of exercise before and through following this thread are actually doing just an ounce more exercise, then that should also be lauded. 40mins a day is a big ask, but if by trying to achieve 40mins someone gives it a go and does 10mins, and tries to do that regularly then that is still an achievement in my book.:D

Reactions: 3 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry I've not been here for a bit,
We're getting pretty manic with work and counting down to the TeamBG mHealth Grand Tour at the end of August (a cycle ride of a mere 2,300km over 15days!) Before you ask, no of course I'm not doing it but hubby is. (Must be mad!)
Lots of worky work sat glued to a desk going blind at the computer and not too much activity other than my two 20min walks with the dogs a day. Busy weekend in the garden - three hours hedge cutting (a beech hedge in competition with the Great Wall of China) along with an hour of strimming brambles. (Note to self, must not strim brambles in open toed sandals)
A bit of swimming thrown in and a couple of runs, otherwise (although it sounds like quite a lot) I feel like I've been a bit sedentary:(
Never mind - one month of mania to go. @zand I might have to try your tactic of doing a few minutes of intense planking and burping (sorry burppeeing) to get some activity in over the next few weeks.;)
Keep up the great work everyone!:joyful:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Did my 45 min walk this morning
Morning Zand! Did my walk too! Dare I say this but I think I'm addicted to walking and come back relaxed and full of beans. Hubbie had just finished cooking the brekkie. Have reduced my sausage intake to 1 with scrambled egg to reduce the amount of red meat. I wanted to bring my LDL cholestrol down without statins (currently 6) - HDL cholestrol 1.3 and triglycerides 0.6. Weight still same :( and legs still looking badly tangoed! Bp is town without meds. Not intentional. Ran out. Forgot to do prescription. Went to chemists. Closed then the weekend. Rang doc to see if I could reduce meds. Missed call as battery went on phone when out with kids. Mostly top figure is between 107-121 and bottom low to mid 70s. Got headache now from minecraft and over enthusiastic kids. I am looking after my friends son this week to save her childcare costs! She has picked my girls up for at least 5 parents evenings saving me a fortune so I feel I ought to return the favour!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning Scandi....morning walking is so good isn't it?!!!! You are very brave looking after an extra one - I rarely did that!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry I've not been here for a bit,
We're getting pretty manic with work and counting down to the TeamBG mHealth Grand Tour at the end of August (a cycle ride of a mere 2,300km over 15days!) Before you ask, no of course I'm not doing it but hubby is. (Must be mad!)
Lots of worky work sat glued to a desk going blind at the computer and not too much activity other than my two 20min walks with the dogs a day. Busy weekend in the garden - three hours hedge cutting (a beech hedge in competition with the Great Wall of China) along with an hour of strimming brambles. (Note to self, must not strim brambles in open toed sandals)
A bit of swimming thrown in and a couple of runs, otherwise (although it sounds like quite a lot) I feel like I've been a bit sedentary:(
Never mind - one month of mania to go. @zand I might have to try your tactic of doing a few minutes of intense planking and burping (sorry burppeeing) to get some activity in over the next few weeks.;)
Keep up the great work everyone!:joyful:
Ow! Hope you picked the brambles first! Walked girls into town the other day and the girls feasted on brambles all the way in! Needless to say I didn't! Am loving this warm weather as we are outdoors all the time! Bs doesn't love it though despite all the exercise!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Morning Scandi....morning walking is so good isn't it?!!!! You are very brave looking after an extra one - I rarely did that!
We are doing at least one excursion every day involving at least 30 mins walk in each direction! There are 2 pools within 30-45 mins walk away. There are some horrible kids around aren't there? We were at the paddling pool in town when some kids started splashing another kid. I hadn't been paying attention so I just thought they were all together. Then another kid came and told the others to stop splashing his brother. Not rude. Very polite. The other kids started to splash him instead. He asked them (again, politely) to stop.This kid who was probably 10 responded with "suck my d*ck you a**hole!" At which point the lady next to me shot up and told said hooligan off. The other kids started to be rude to her, so I went and stood beside her. They all stopped apart from a delightful 9 year old girl who called us "tw*ts". (Gosh, her parents must be so proud!). The lady then approached the parents of the boy with the foul mouth and who were close by who must have heard their child screaming obscenities. The kid was screaming "she's f*cking lying! I didn't say that! F*ck off out of my life! " this last piece of abuse was addressed to the poor lady who had dared to object to his shocking behaviour towards her sons. The woman responded with "well, he says he didn't". At which point I just had to say something so I walked over and said that I had also heard her son swearing and repeated what I'd hear. Her response. I'll deal with it. But he needs to calm down first. To be fair, he has got a disability! " I was so tempted to point out that his "disability" was his parents! Absolutely shocking! It was overwhelmingly obvious that there were no boundaries whatsoever in place, that nobody had ever said no to this young man and that he was allowed to rule the roost. The delightful 9 year old sat in the paddling pool sticking her middle finger up at us and calling us pedos. Repeatedly. Am I the only one whose children would not dream of behaving like this?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
20 mins brisk walking and I'll pop on bike for 20 mins tonight after dinner. Having a day off from the wall of doom.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are doing at least one excursion every day involving at least 30 mins walk in each direction! There are 2 pools within 30-45 mins walk away. There are some horrible kids around aren't there? We were at the paddling pool in town when some kids started splashing another kid. I hadn't been paying attention so I just thought they were all together. Then another kid came and told the others to stop splashing his brother. Not rude. Very polite. The other kids started to splash him instead. He asked them (again, politely) to stop.This kid who was probably 10 responded with "suck my d*ck you a**hole!" At which point the lady next to me shot up and told said hooligan off. The other kids started to be rude to her, so I went and stood beside her. They all stopped apart from a delightful 9 year old girl who called us "tw*ts". (Gosh, her parents must be so proud!). The lady then approached the parents of the boy with the foul mouth and who were close by who must have heard their child screaming obscenities. The kid was screaming "she's f*cking lying! I didn't say that! F*ck off out of my life! " this last piece of abuse was addressed to the poor lady who had dared to object to his shocking behaviour towards her sons. The woman responded with "well, he says he didn't". At which point I just had to say something so I walked over and said that I had also heard her son swearing and repeated what I'd hear. Her response. I'll deal with it. But he needs to calm down first. To be fair, he has got a disability! " I was so tempted to point out that his "disability" was his parents! Absolutely shocking! It was overwhelmingly obvious that there were no boundaries whatsoever in place, that nobody had ever said no to this young man and that he was allowed to rule the roost. The delightful 9 year old sat in the paddling pool sticking her middle finger up at us and calling us pedos. Repeatedly. Am I the only one whose children would not dream of behaving like this?
Disgusting!!

One trend we've noticed in primary is parents getting their children an ADHD diagnosis. It means they can lay blame for bad behaviour elsewhere and they get money from the state. People don't seem to know the difference between the true condition and wilfully bad social
behaviours.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So did my 26 minutes on bike. Really find it strange how much I am enjoying doing it now after years of avoiding all forms of exercise. I even took the longer walk into town after my CBT appointment and wasn't out of breath going up the banking like I usually am.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
40 minutes done in chunkd today as busy day at work then out for dinner.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Posted this in sort of error on Zand's thread earlier - 60 minutes walking in London today with 10 Kg backpack.