CGM funding?

dulcis-dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has probably been asked (several times!) However, here goes.....

I am starting on a pump in about 2 weeks & I've been reading up about it & have read a lot about CGM. People saying what a huge difference it can have on your control & how much it stabilises bg swings (which has been shown to contribute greatly to diabetic comolications). As a result I've become very interested (& pretty much made up my mind I WANT ONE!! ) I was just wondering if anyone has funding for their CGM & how did you go about it, etc. I'm aware it's pretty difficult to get funding, due to the lack of NICE approval. I also get the strong impression it's a bit of a postcode lottery (I'm in the Scottish highlands).

Many thanks guys.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi dulcis-dente

CGM funding is considered on an individual basis. It is usually approved for use by people who have lost hypo awareness and are suffering from disabling hypos that need outside intervention and are putting their life in danger. You need support from your diabetes consultant and have to write out the reasons why you think it would benefit you, likewise the consultant has to provide all the information on what problems you are having and why he/she thinks it will help you to live more safely. I would imagine in the present economic climate it is very difficult to get funding regardless of postcode although there are some more pro pump clinics around the country.

I would ask at your pump clinic as some can loan you a CGM for a week to see what you make of it and how it might help you. Good luck with starting to use a pump, it takes a lot of tweaking at first to get the settings right but is a great way to get good control.

Reactions: 2 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not offering any advice on how you should approach this but please be aware that the conditions needed by some NHS regions in the UK to justify funding for a CGM are very similar to the conditions that the DVLA would use to withdraw a driving licence.

dulcis-dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks for your replies @Chas C and @Flowerpot
Apologies for not replying sooner, but I have just got home from hospital following my second severe hypo in a week. In 21 years I have only had 2 like this previously, the first a few months after diagnosis and the second about 15 years ago) I haven't had very good control in the past and now that things are A LOT better, it'sbecome apparent my dose is too high. I still have good awareness (which is a relief as it means it's less likely that my driving lisence will be revoked) But my sugars dropped so fast that within 5 minutes of feeling it and taking 50g glucose I was unconcious and fitting. My partner was driving thank goodness and we made it to the local GP practice, where we got amazing support and an abulance was called. But this has still given me one hell of a scare. I have never really been frightened of my diabetes, nor felt like a burden on people because of it so this has knocked my confidence a bit so I am even more determined to try and get CGM. At the present I couldn't afford to self-fund entirely, but I have been considering asking if I could be provided with funding to help covere the cost. Not sure if they can do it that way, but you never know until you ask I suppose. I'm going on the Medtronic Veo, so at least I'll be half way to CGM and will only need to get the sensors and transmitter (I think!)

Im sorry for the rambling, I think it's the post-hypo talking! :confused:

Ria x

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is very frightening when you don't get the time or warnings to treat hypos. I hope you are ok and more stable now.

Using a pump will help with the severity of hypos as you only have a very small amount of basal insulin floating around you at any given time, the pump delivers tiny fractions of the hourly rate you need every 3 minutes. There are a lot more options for changing and tweaking your basal insulin and different ways of delivering a bolus with a pump. I have found my hypos aren't as severe or as long lasting using a pump.

I use the Medtronic Veo pump and Enlite sensors. The Veo pump comes CGM enabled. The start up kit for CGM includes sensors, transmitter, charger, inserter and adhesive patches to secure the sensors although you do need further waterproof adhesive dressing such as Flexifix to secure the sensor and transmitter safely for its duration. I don't know if applying for partial funding is an option but am sure your pump consultant will discuss what your options might be.

I had already had my driving licence revoked through sight loss when I lost all hypo awareness so it was no longer an issue but it is a huge worry when the potential to lose your licence is present. I hope you find the pump a great help to your control.

dulcis-dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Flowerpot :)

Im sorry to hear about your sight loss. That must've been really hard going. And I can't imagine how scary it must be to lose your hypo awareness. because my poor control always left me with high sugars, it is something I've never had to deal with, but it does concern me more now I'm getting much better control.
I knew the pump would make it easier to control my sugars, because it is easier to fine tune, but it's reassuring to hear it confirmed by someone using it.
I have been looking online :bookworm: at the various CGM's available and I have seen that the dexcom sensors can last up to several weeks with care and attention. How long do you find the medtronics last foro_O? I had to wear one for 6 days a wee while ago so that my DSN could see exactly what was going on with my sugars. wasn't sure if that was thier maximum span or if you could eak a little more life out of them :confused:

Ria

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The maximum time I can get out of a Medtronic sensor is 7 days, after 6 days the sensor ends but you can re link it immediately to the transmitter and get about 24 hours more. At this point the transmitter needs recharging and I haven't been able to peel off the adhesive dressing and disconnect it without dislodging the sensor. I will have another try when my sensor ends to see if it is possible to disconnect, charge the transmitter and reconnect to the old sensor.

The Dexcom sensors certainly sound as if they can last longer from what I have read online and if you do self fund,even with the need to purchase the receiver, it could well work out more economical. I don't know the costs of Dexcom but others on here do use them.