At last...my weight has gone down

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Scandichic - not sure you're going to like this, but here goes...........:cool:

In your shoes, I'd be doing one of a couple of things. I think I know which I would choose. So, I would either:

• Option one: Put the scales away for a month. Not weigh for a month. Not measure for a month. Reading here, you appear to be becoming almost tortured and fixated by your weight, and that's not healthy. If, and I have no reason to challenge your integrity, you are sticking to your eating plan, with no sneaky carb or calorie-feasts, the weight will shift. In "healthy", "normal" people, weight varies on a day to day basis, and that's often slightly accentuated in women because of the impact of cyclical hormonal activity. Ignore it for a while. It will even out.
  • Option two: invest some time in updating a food diary with your current activity and review your calorie intake. I really don't care what anybody says, if someone is eating 5000 carb-free calories, and sitting around all day, they will gain weight. I'm absolutely not suggesting this is you, but it am sometimes astonished how many calories I have troughs my way through in an busy, active, hungry day. Yesterday being a case in point. Ahem. Something like myfitnesspal on the iPhone or better still ipad only takes moments to update, once your foods are in there and I find it a great tool, if I find myself with an unexpected reading, or a weight anomaly. But, back to the point. Maybe you have reached a point where your consumption is about right for the weight you have achieved? I seem to recall @Andy12345 talking about this at some stage. Sorry if I mis-remembered Andy. :)
  • Option three: Adopt a short period of dietary change; either increase or decrease your consumption. In your shoes, I might go really hard core for a couple of weeks - especially as you are now on holiday, so are not having to rush meals in school breaks, and so on. Maybe the Atkins Induction (I think @Debmcgee did something like this recently?) could give some useful pointers? I'm not suggesting a long term change in eating pattern, just something to nudge your body out of it's apparently comfortable state.
It's a mixed blessing this is happening at school holidays, but at least you probably have a bit more thinking time to plan your next assault.

I don't want to seem preachy Scandi; especially as for me the weight loss just happened. One thing I will mention in my own journey was that I didn't weight myself at all for the first 4 months after diagnosis. This wasn't really a deliberate decision. I just didn't have scales here, and I never encountered any pay scales when out and about. When people commented I'd lost weight and enquired how much, I could only confirm my clothes were looser, but I had no idea what the scores on the doors were. I look back now and think that was a bit of a lucky break, as it allowed me to fully focus on my blood scores, and I find one fixation at a time works best for me. ;)

Good luck with it all Scandi, but maybe it's time to think through that old adage that goes something like, "if you always do the same thing, your always see the same results".
That advice makes good sense to me and fits with a lot of stuff I learnt from a mindful eating course. I think I should stop weighing for a bit, as getting on the scales 3 times a day is really silly, and the most weight I've ever lost was during my year travelling round Europe, having no scales and eating whatever I wanted but in a very portion controlled way (because I was with my husband who is a snacker and can actually only eat half a flapjack). It didn't do much for my BS, as I knew nothing about low carbs then, but I did lose weight without checking whether I was doing so.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say step away from the scales too for a bit as you can become disheartened by natural fluctuations in weight on a day to day basis.
The other thing I would do is start to calorie count alongside the low carbing just to see how many calories you are actually consuming on a daily basis. I know the supposed beauty of low carbing is that you needn't count them - I'm just not sure this works for everyone. The Swedish doctor's plate of sauce and steak doesn't look mahoosive to me so what they think of as unfettered eating probably isn't quite the same as us "larger" ladies. I know I could eat cheese till I was sick but cheese really is calorie rich so I stick to the occasional weighed portion. Perhaps cut down on the breakfast sausages too as a sausage is quite a chunk of daily caloriies and have some mushrooms or tomato instead. If you write everything down as suggested you might see where you are going wrong, though I hate that word. I would say I aim between 1200 and max 1500 cals a day as that seems to fill me up and lose weight. I'm sure the additional exercise will help too.
I remember following loads of diets that said you could eat all you like of certain food groups and when my enthusiasm was high they were ok as I only had one potato, or nothing with my calorie counted ready meal. I soon learnt that you can't lose weight eating unlimited anything and that whilst some things like carbs put more weight on than say fats, in the end an excess of that would start to pile the weight back on.

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure that my plateau is because I'm eating for my current weight. My problem is not with carbs (as I don't touch any high carb/starchy stuff at all), it's the often high calories in my "fat foods", such as nuts, cream and cheese. I'm reluctant to reduce these as I'm nicely in ketosis, but I reckon it's probably the only thing to do....:(:(

Robbity

Reactions: 6 people

Connie cutie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To be honest there isn't much I dislike. One thing does spring to mind though,waking up to a dark, wet, windy day. I say, "roll on summer"!!
I'm interested to learn more about the coconut oil. Have I missed something??

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm interested to learn more about the coconut oil. Have I missed something??

I read somewhere that coconut oil helps weight loss but can't remember where or any details. I usually weigh once a week but may have a sneaky weigh in tomorrow and see if my weight is still going down

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I weighed myself this morning - 1/2 lost since Saturday, 1 lb lost since last Thursday so I am very happy with that.

The only thing I have done differently since my various plateaux is the coconut oil, Coincidence or not I am sticking with it:)

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I weighed myself this morning - 1/2 lost since Saturday, 1 lb lost since last Thursday so I am very happy with that.

The only thing I have done differently since my various plateaux is the coconut oil, Coincidence or not I am sticking with it:)
Hope mine arrives in today's post!

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ Scandichic I really think you have got to stop jumping on the scales every day it's driving you mad and not giving you a clear picture of your weight loss. I know you are desperate to lose weight but with the hot weather it's hard to get a realistic view of weight loss . PUT THE SCALES AWAY and get them out on the first day of every month and you will be much happier with the results

Connie cutie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To be honest there isn't much I dislike. One thing does spring to mind though,waking up to a dark, wet, windy day. I say, "roll on summer"!!
I read somewhere that coconut oil helps weight loss but can't remember where or any details. I usually weigh once a week but may have a sneaky weigh in tomorrow and see if my weight is still going down

Thanks for your reply. I have type 2 since April 2013 At the moment I'm managing well taking Metformin, watching my diet and taking regular exercise. I have lost 1 1/2 stone and would like to loose another stone. However, it's not shifting, I'm stuck! I don't weigh often as I know if I didn't loose any weight I'd binge on all the wrong food. I may try some coconut oil, nothing to loose except weight, hopefully.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
@Scandichic - not sure you're going to like this, but here goes...........:cool:

In your shoes, I'd be doing one of a couple of things. I think I know which I would choose. So, I would either:

• Option one: Put the scales away for a month. Not weigh for a month. Not measure for a month. Reading here, you appear to be becoming almost tortured and fixated by your weight, and that's not healthy. If, and I have no reason to challenge your integrity, you are sticking to your eating plan, with no sneaky carb or calorie-feasts, the weight will shift. In "healthy", "normal" people, weight varies on a day to day basis, and that's often slightly accentuated in women because of the impact of cyclical hormonal activity. Ignore it for a while. It will even out.
  • Option two: invest some time in updating a food diary with your current activity and review your calorie intake. I really don't care what anybody says, if someone is eating 5000 carb-free calories, and sitting around all day, they will gain weight. I'm absolutely not suggesting this is you, but it am sometimes astonished how many calories I have troughs my way through in an busy, active, hungry day. Yesterday being a case in point. Ahem. Something like myfitnesspal on the iPhone or better still ipad only takes moments to update, once your foods are in there and I find it a great tool, if I find myself with an unexpected reading, or a weight anomaly. But, back to the point. Maybe you have reached a point where your consumption is about right for the weight you have achieved? I seem to recall @Andy12345 talking about this at some stage. Sorry if I mis-remembered Andy. :)
  • Option three: Adopt a short period of dietary change; either increase or decrease your consumption. In your shoes, I might go really hard core for a couple of weeks - especially as you are now on holiday, so are not having to rush meals in school breaks, and so on. Maybe the Atkins Induction (I think @Debmcgee did something like this recently?) could give some useful pointers? I'm not suggesting a long term change in eating pattern, just something to nudge your body out of it's apparently comfortable state.
It's a mixed blessing this is happening at school holidays, but at least you probably have a bit more thinking time to plan your next assault.

I don't want to seem preachy Scandi; especially as for me the weight loss just happened. One thing I will mention in my own journey was that I didn't weight myself at all for the first 4 months after diagnosis. This wasn't really a deliberate decision. I just didn't have scales here, and I never encountered any pay scales when out and about. When people commented I'd lost weight and enquired how much, I could only confirm my clothes were looser, but I had no idea what the scores on the doors were. I look back now and think that was a bit of a lucky break, as it allowed me to fully focus on my blood scores, and I find one fixation at a time works best for me. ;)

Good luck with it all Scandi, but maybe it's time to think through that old adage that goes something like, "if you always do the same thing, your always see the same results".
I never find you preachy and I value your advice. I do not think it's helpful if people only post what they think someone wants to hear. I probably am too worried about my weight and just need to relax. As @dianagrace has said, the benefits of LCHF are overwhelming. My HDL has increased and my triglycerides are currently 0.6. I've got more energy than I've had in a long time. The walking is getting me fit and my bs has come down. I have focused on my weight as I am having problems with bs since the onset of the warm weather. It has gone back to pre-diabetic readings and is 6.7 at mo'. Morning too high too. Frustrating. Have been having 3-4 glasses of wine per week at the weekends. (One glass on a Friday, 2 on a Saturday, for example) Am going to knock that on the head. Will keep food diary. Sure that I'm not eating sneaky calories as I can list all the naughty things I've eaten in the last 6 months. I have cut down to 1 sausage for breakfast and have been eating a serving spoon helping of scrambled egg instead. I have cut down significantly on nuts. I have LCHF dessert twice a week although in the last 2 weeks I've had no dessert. This is because I have had one very tiny square of birthday cake, half a raspberry almond bake from costa (only drink water or espresso when there) and 2 pieces of rice crispy cake(Not on same day) and 6 maltesers on two occasions and not on same day as had cake. the more water I drink, the heavier I seem to weigh!

Reactions: 5 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice attitude, @Scandichic . I think when we see the rapid weight loss initially, its easy to feel safe about a sneaky treat or three. As you know, I've struggled with slow weight loss right from the start, while yours has been more rapid and impressive, but I've comforted myself with the other benefits of LCHF which are the same as yours - feeling well again, with restored energy and healthy bs levels, to the extent that the weight loss has become secondary. It was only when my DN starting jumping up and down with pleasure and announcing my 1+ stone weight loss in 3 months that I started to feel excited too :)

Its good to hear you are not giving up, but are reviewing things and seeing this as a chance to regroup. Well done, my friend.

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nice attitude, @Scandichic . I think when we see the rapid weight loss initially, its easy to feel safe about a sneaky treat or three. As you know, I've struggled with slow weight loss right from the start, while yours has been more rapid and impressive, but I've comforted myself with the other benefits of LCHF which are the same as yours - feeling well again, with restored energy and healthy bs levels, to the extent that the weight loss has become secondary. It was only when my DN starting jumping up and down with pleasure and announcing my 1+ stone weight loss in 3 months that I started to feel excited too :)

Its good to hear you are not giving up, but are reviewing things and seeing this as a chance to regroup. Well done, my friend.
Can't afford to give up. What's the alternative? The NHS eat well plate? We all know how that one pans out for the majority of us! :D
Am going to keep up with exercise plan- as much walking as I can fit in my day! Bp looking good! Still waiting for telephone appointment from doc to discuss whether I can reduce from 10mg of ramapril down to 5! Blasted fat face dress - I'm sure it's my nemesis! Even now I can hear it mocking me from the wardrobe! Evil dress! Evil!:rolleyes: Kids are eating mars bar cake infront of me! Blasted diabetes!

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never find you preachy and I value your advice. I do not think it's helpful if people only post what they think someone wants to hear. I probably am too worried about my weight and just need to relax. As @dianagrace has said, the benefits of LCHF are overwhelming. My HDL has increased and my triglycerides are currently 0.6. I've got more energy than I've had in a long time. The walking is getting me fit and my bs has come down. I have focused on my weight as I am having problems with bs since the onset of the warm weather. It has gone back to pre-diabetic readings and is 6.7 at mo'. Morning too high too. Frustrating. Have been having 3-4 glasses of wine per week at the weekends. (One glass on a Friday, 2 on a Saturday, for example) Am going to knock that on the head. Will keep food diary. Sure that I'm not eating sneaky calories as I can list all the naughty things I've eaten in the last 6 months. I have cut down to 1 sausage for breakfast and have been eating a serving spoon helping of scrambled egg instead. I have cut down significantly on nuts. I have LCHF dessert twice a week although in the last 2 weeks I've had no dessert. This is because I have had one very tiny square of birthday cake, half a raspberry almond bake from costa (only drink water or espresso when there) and 2 pieces of rice crispy cake(Not on same day) and 6 maltesers on two occasions and not on same day as had cake. the more water I drink, the heavier I seem to weigh!

I'm pleased you are seeing so many benefits from your new regime. I must admit I've gone from an "I live a good life and feel great" to an "I live a healthier life and feel really great" person too.

I would still encourage you to put the scales away for the school holidays perhaps, or perhaps have a no-weigh August. You are torturing yourself. Let's face it. If you are being good, and are not going to change anything in your eating plan, but exercise a bit more, but not losing weight, what are you going to do about it every day to make a difference? There is nothing you can do, provided you aren't deluding yourself (and that isn't being suggested from this corner).

If you are unable, or unwilling to do that, then at least review your weight on a 7-day average, as you might do,with your bloods. If you log your weight, a simple formula on a spreadsheet would even work out the average for you. As a meter of curiosity, do you know what levels of carbs and cals you are consuming on an average day?

In my view, which can only be what I read, your weight loss focus is somewhat extreme, and not helping your overall state of tension/relaxation/frustration. Give yourself a break, please?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm pleased you are seeing so many benefits from your new regime. I must admit I've gone from an "I live a good life and feel great" to an "I live a healthier life and feel really great" person too.

I would still encourage you to put the scales away for the school holidays perhaps, or perhaps have a no-weigh August. You are torturing yourself. Let's face it. If you are being good, and are not going to change anything in your eating plan, but exercise a bit more, but not losing weight, what are you going to do about it every day to make a difference? There is nothing you can do, provided you aren't deluding yourself (and that isn't being suggested from this corner).

If you are unable, or unwilling to do that, then at least review your weight on a 7-day average, as you might do,with your bloods. If you log your weight, a simple formula on a spreadsheet would even work out the average for you. As a meter of curiosity, do you know what levels of carbs and cals you are consuming on an average day?

In my view, which can only be what I read, your weight loss focus is somewhat extreme, and not helping your overall state of tension/relaxation/frustration. Give yourself a break, please?
So today I ate 1 97% sausage with a serving spoon of scrambled egg. Then I had 2 cherry tomatoes and a match box size of blue cheese and 170g of crustless quiche minus base (why did they advertise it as crustless as it had a base? Just ate filling). Tonight will have piece of salmon with salad made of cherry toms, cucumber, small piece of feta, olives and 2 Lindt size pieces of choc. Quiche was 400 calories. 138 calories for sausage. Choc 118 calories. 223 calories do fish. Don't know about rest. Will put scales away and weigh self weekly.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't afford to give up. What's the alternative? The NHS eat well plate? We all know how that one pans out for the majority of us! :D
Am going to keep up with exercise plan- as much walking as I can fit in my day! Bp looking good! Still waiting for telephone appointment from doc to discuss whether I can reduce from 10mg of ramapril down to 5! Blasted fat face dress - I'm sure it's my nemesis! Even now I can hear it mocking me from the wardrobe! Evil dress! Evil!:rolleyes: Kids are eating mars bar cake infront of me! Blasted diabetes!

Since I started LCHF I haven't bought any sweets, biscuits, cakes etc. I sneak the nicely packaged individual biscuits from my hotel rooms into my suitcase occasionally and present these (unwrapped) to any visitors to my home/office with coffee :). One client the other week, said he would never mind meetings at my home, if I always served the same biscuits!! No idea what they were, but they weren't branded.

My 24 year daughter is adopting my healthy lifestyle and is going shopping with her big sister tomorrow for new clothes as in the last week, hers have started to hang off her!

Even if children don't have weight issues, I would be mindful of the tooth decay/hyper-activity problems with too many cakes/Mars bars. I don't think I could eat a whole one now. (Mars bar not child tee hee!)

Glad to see you stepping away from the scales. Good girl :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well i'm sat facing the fridge at work its got a bloody plate of quality street sat on it, because a colleague bought them in to say thanks for buying some baby clothes. This plate is shouting at me (i've managed to only have 1 strawberry cream my favourite) and eaten M&S honey roasted cashew and peanuts that covers 2 squares of post it notes worth during the day (thats my measure lol). So i know the feeling.

I think the heat is making us absorb water you know, its going in but not coming out enough my ankles are swollen so know its going downwards lol.

Maybe have a sugar free jelly and cream treat tonight, thats what i'm going to make when i get in.

And theres 60 carbs in a mars bar (i was shocked to be honest). i'll stick to my plain chocolate for that :)

keep the faith !

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Since I started LCHF I haven't bought any sweets, biscuits, cakes etc. I sneak the nicely packaged individual biscuits from my hotel rooms into my suitcase occasionally and present these (unwrapped) to any visitors to my home/office with coffee :). One client the other week, said he would never mind meetings at my home, if I always served the same biscuits!! No idea what they were, but they weren't branded.

My 24 year daughter is adopting my healthy lifestyle and is going shopping with her big sister tomorrow for new clothes as in the last week, hers have started to hang off her!

Even if children don't have weight issues, I would be mindful of the tooth decay/hyper-activity problems with too many cakes/Mars bars. I don't think I could eat a whole one now. (Mars bar not child tee hee!)

Glad to see you stepping away from the scales. Good girl :p
Believe it or not my daughters are the opposite of me ie skinny! My eldest rarely eats cake or biscuits or sweets and often declines. The youngest has more of a sweet tooth but neither of them eat big portions of anything and the diabetes has certainly made them more food aware. There is never a ban on food per se so they only take a snack when they are hungry and with the exception of Mars bar cake or suicide cake as my hubbie calls it (4oz melted butter and 4 melted Mars bars mixed with 4oz of rice crispies, pressed into 2 brownies tins and covered with 300g melted cadburys milk choccie. Makes 18 squares. ) only ever take 1 biscuit. I just assumed this was the norm but apparently not when their friends come round they take several. When I made it for my youngests birthday it didn't even last 5 mins!

Patsy B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetis
when I was diagnosed with Type 2.. I was 14 1/2 stone that was 3 years ago now I have been on met 2xam + pm all this time I am now 8 stone 11...but I do exercise daily after meals which i find brings the levels down..

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost another 1lb this week. I have never in my life had this much weight loss I am still in shock that it is going down.

Reactions: 3 people