I've completely fallen off the low-carb wagon. :(

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My species has survived largely on LCHF for hundreds of thousands of years. That's good enough for me. The healthy plate is a modern invention.
Agree with you on the "healthy plate", LCHF seems to be ideal for many.
Only have to point out that ancient ancestors eating that way had a much lower life expectancy.
Just sayin'
;)

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Only have to point out that ancient ancestors eating that way had a much lower life expectancy.
Just sayin'
;)
Pipp perhaps you went too HF. I think it is LC enough fat.

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Just sayin'
;)

But that was because of accidents, infections, disease etc not due to the diet ;)

Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But that was because of accidents, infections, disease etc not due to the diet ;)
I know, just kidding.

BUT, they could have been tasty to a sabre toothed tiger or something too.
Especially an enlightened sabre tooth tiger doing low carb!

Reactions: 9 people

mpe

It's hard when you know what to do but don't end up doing it because of lack of will power. I also feel good, much better when I've eaten a high carb meal--energetic at 7-8 mmol--but I think this is a "sugar high" a false sense of feeling good but wreaks havoc in your system if you're not careful.

Whilst that is "high" in comparison to "normal" there are undoubtedly people who'd struggle to get that "low".

They say sugar is 8 times more addictive than cocaine.

In the case of "addiction" metabolic processes end up being altered such that they cannot function "normally" without the substance in question. This certainly appears to be the case with glucose. Including "withdrawal symptoms".

mpe

When I got that ice cream, I actually asked the lady if she had any sugar-free version. She said no, but that she's been getting requests for it. I felt like saying, "Then why don't you SELL IT?" ;) I guess because dummies like me then say, "Oh okay. I'll have the regular then." It wasn't even regular. It was a double scoop of gourmet ice cream. I went whole hog.

Depending on what's actually in it the "gourmet" may not be as bad s the "regular".
As with many processed foods what you actually get with "ice cream" can be very variable.
Might be more sensible to ask "how much is actual cream?" than "low sugar", which could be stuffed with maltodetrins or "starch", especially if it'd "low fat".

mpe

I know, just kidding.

BUT, they could have been tasty to a sabre toothed tiger or something too.
Especially an enlightened sabre tooth tiger doing low carb!

Just about the only mammals which eat any other kind of diet are modern humans, domestic and captive animals.
Carnivores would be "low carb" regardless of what their prey ate.
Even herbivores don't, in practice, don't eat diets which are mostly sugars. (Since their gut bacteria typically convert carbohydrates, including "fibre", into fats.)
Yet in the last few decades the ironically named "healthy" diet has been pushed. Which might better be described as "alien", since it's nothing like the typical terrestrial animal would eat left to it's own devices.

unigirl

Hi all have just read this thread - I too have fallen badly off the wagon. I was diagnosed last January 2013 and decided as others have said to tackle this as I didnt want to risk complications. I have been overweight for years and was delighted by following a low carb diet usually under 80g and exercising daily my weight dropped significantly. 3 stone in 4 months I can honestly say I finally felt happier with my appearance. I had more energy and most importantly my BG dropped to the the point that the GP agreed to remove my from the diabetic register. However ........

I went on holiday in Sept 2013 gained abit of weight but nothing dramatic BG still low in November so subconsciously I think I thought Ive got away with it, roll on Christmas then Easter then just returned from a summer holiday. I now sit here typing this feeling so depressed as I have just weighed myself and I am back where I started. I am also terrified as my GP has put my on yearly bloods and I am afraid to go to docs as he will take one look at me and put me on meds. I need to start again but I dont know where to start can anyone help

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think, for me at least, I have to take it one meal at a time. I am not thinking long-term now. I stock up with low-carb foods that I enjoy. I am thinking to the next meal. What can I have that is healthy and low-carb? Then I plan my next meal. It is hard getting back on track, and even more frustrating when you can see that going off the low-carb has landed you back where you started. Live and learn. You did it before, so did I, and we both can do it again. It probably won't be the last time either of us fall off the wagon. The important thing is never to stop climbing back on. We both know we felt and looked better when we stay the course. For me, those pics were a real wake-up.

I hope this doesn't sound shallow or crass or that I am making light of the situation, but I often think of people in impoverished countries when I feel "deprived" of sweets and other high-carb goodies. Those people have never, and will probably never even taste such things. They'd be happy for anything to eat, low-carb, no-carb, it wouldn't matter. So when I am sick of eggs, I think, "At least I have these eggs! I should be grateful. I have unlimited access to fresh water, when so many do not. I can take a short walk to town and get fresh veggies whenever I want. I don't have to work a whole day at hard labor to get the makings for a salad. I have plenty of tea. I don't need sugar in it to make it taste good. I have choices, plenty of choices to eat that will make and keep me healthy."

Despite all the technology advances and medical advances, we each only get one body. We also have more information and knowledge than diabetics did in the past. We are very fortunate in that respect. It must have been horrible many years ago to really have very little info to work with. At least we *know* what to do. That is a big head start. Keep reminding yourself how well you felt before you went off-track. Tell yourself you *deserve* to feel that way again!

Reactions: 5 people

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi unigirl/Fallgal, I think most of us have been in your shoes at some point:arghh:. To me its like a game of snakes and ladders, you get to the top of a ladder feel good, give in to temptation and there's the snake!!! As long as you move on and get up next ladder then you will be fine.

I have started the LCHF eating plan, I find this easy and tend to batch cook, to make my meals easy and convenient, I do chilli, chicken curry, minced based meals, stews, etc. I put them in plastic containers (similar to what you get from Chinese) I freeze them and just take them out day before. I also have microwave steamers for veg, again very easy and convenient to do one portion size of fresh veg.

I do not have bread, pasta,rice,potatoes,crisps,sweets,biscuits,cereals or any hi carb food in my cupboards so no temptation. However I do enjoy a glass of red wine!!!! :wacky:

I find a lot of information and motivation from this group and there is always someone to help if you need any advice. So come on girls lets get back on that ladder and watch for the snakes LOL .

Terry:clown:

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What would you say to a loved one who voiced this angst and tension around food and blood sugars?
It's the longing that's difficult to bear. The thing with longing is that it's never satisfied and sometimes when I'm faced with temptation, I remind myself of this. That no matter what I eat, the longing will be there until my mindset shifts.
I'm sorry, I don't find refuelling my already high levels of angst with pics of diabetic complications very helpful. Who wants to live with the grim reaper on their shoulder- that's not living, that's a death sentence in itself! I'm also not suggesting that ghe alternative is to graze on sugar either- but there is a kinder way of being with oneself around it. That it takes a moment to say no but hours to allow feelings to muddy this. That the longing will pass. That there are moments when you won't feel any longing without even trying. That it's like riding a wave... I'm going to try this myself!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You're right. I found my own wagon, so it's harder to fall off. But, even if you do, it stops until you catch up again.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi all have just read this thread - I too have fallen badly off the wagon. I was diagnosed last January 2013 and decided as others have said to tackle this as I didnt want to risk complications. I have been overweight for years and was delighted by following a low carb diet usually under 80g and exercising daily my weight dropped significantly. 3 stone in 4 months I can honestly say I finally felt happier with my appearance. I had more energy and most importantly my BG dropped to the the point that the GP agreed to remove my from the diabetic register. However ........

I went on holiday in Sept 2013 gained abit of weight but nothing dramatic BG still low in November so subconsciously I think I thought Ive got away with it, roll on Christmas then Easter then just returned from a summer holiday. I now sit here typing this feeling so depressed as I have just weighed myself and I am back where I started. I am also terrified as my GP has put my on yearly bloods and I am afraid to go to docs as he will take one look at me and put me on meds. I need to start again but I dont know where to start can anyone help
You can't change the past but you can change the present! You know what to do! Post here too and you'll have a fab support network around you! Come on! Eat your last sh*t meal, give the **** away or bin it and get cracking. The only thing you've got to lose is weight!

Reactions: 4 people

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
For me LCHF is like learning to ride a bike. You fall off repeatedly but you get back on for another go and after a while you get the hang of it and it becomes second nature. If you don't get back on straight away then there is the danger that you'll never master it, deeming it too hard.
Of course even after we have mastered it we still occasionally fall off, but getting back on is imperative.

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I was doing well. I was diagnosed in late April, with a HbA1C of 106. Seven weeks later (after listening to this forum's advice and low-carbing) I had gotten it down to 66 and had lost a stone. I had also gotten my cholesterol down from slightly high to well within normal range. My DN and GP were pleased, although of course there was room for much improvement.

My birthday was on June 9th. I had an ice cream as a birthday treat. Since then, my diet has been terrible. It hasn't be *quite* as bad as it was before, but still bad. It seems that one ice cream spiraled into all kinds of sugar-laden foods. It's also been a very stressful time for my husband and I, as he's lost his biggest client and our income has been greatly reduced.

The trouble is, I don't feed badly physically, as I did before I started low-carbing and went on Metformin. I've also lost 4 additional pounds. I still feel fairly energetic. I think if I felt like ****, or had gained back some of the weight I lost, it would kick my butt into eating better. I am fully aware what it is doing to me inside though. Of course I stopped testing as well.

If you've fallen off, how did you get back on the low-carb wagon again? How do I get that determination to be healthy back again? I really feel like I've failed. I think once the novelty of low-carbing went away, it just became "too hard" when I realized I would have to do this for the rest of my life. How do you keep up the momentum, day after day? I am off to bed feeling very low and have no clue how I'm going to get back to proper eating.

I did an interview for a pharmaceutical company and they roared when I told them that I'm only human, therefore have a habit of "falling off the wagon" and then struggling to get back on it. My downfall comes when I have a week of arriving home at 10pm having been out since 7am....(and not a drop of alcohol involved) absolutely shattered, hungry and shaking. I chuck the first non cookable bit of food (a cake or a biscuit) I find down my neck, and follow it with a glass of Ribena or a cup of green tea with cinnamon left over from the morning, while waiting for half a dozen slices of bread to toast, and of course the toast is slathered in extremely high level monosaturates "butter"...I just need food and sleep quick. What I should really do is prepare something low carb the night before and leave it in the fridge, but it takes so much effort. My "I must get back on the wagon" flag is the annual trip to the GP for bloods and then results...I manage to get everything back down a non meds level in 12 weeks. This is why the annual test does not really show a picture of what is going on.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I did an interview for a pharmaceutical company and they roared when I told them that I'm only human, therefore have a habit of "falling off the wagon" and then struggling to get back on it. My downfall comes when I have a week of arriving home at 10pm having been out since 7am....(and not a drop of alcohol involved) absolutely shattered, hungry and shaking. I chuck the first non cookable bit of food (a cake or a biscuit) I find down my neck, and follow it with a glass of Ribena or a cup of green tea with cinnamon left over from the morning, while waiting for half a dozen slices of bread to toast, and of course the toast is slathered in extremely high level monosaturates "butter"...I just need food and sleep quick. What I should really do is prepare something low carb the night before and leave it in the fridge, but it takes so much effort. My "I must get back on the wagon" flag is the annual trip to the GP for bloods and then results...I manage to get everything back down a non meds level in 12 weeks. This is why the annual test does not really show a picture of what is going on.

It doesn't need to.
You know what's going on, the GP only works with what you tell him.