Saturated Fact e-book

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just acquired free on Kindle an ebook called Saturated Fact. All about the fats we eat and what we should be eating and the polyunsaturated fats that we shouldn't eat. Interesting read!
It's free on Kindle. Woo hoo!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the links.

It is an interesting read.
Basically it condemns polyunsaturated fats and recommends we eat and cook more Butter and coconut oil.
I, m going to struggle! The butter is out of the question and coconut oil is expensive.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not good healthy grass-fed butter? Pop by Holland & Barrett half price on coconut oil at the moment.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why not good healthy grass-fed butter? Pop by Holland & Barrett half price on coconut oil at the moment.
It doesn't like me! I cannot eat a lot of dairy products. I am not lactose intolerant but dairy does something to my stomach. I use to eat cream by the shovel full when I was a kid, now it ends up in the toilet because I am sick with it!
Cheese and butter likewise. Also spreads, they are poison to me!
I am a funny picky eater. That's why I was surprised to enjoyed my full fat Greek yoghurt, yesterday. If you are on a low carb diet like me it just limits your options even more!

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't like me! I cannot eat a lot of dairy products. I am not lactose intolerant but dairy does something to my stomach. I use to eat cream by the shovel full when I was a kid, now it ends up in the toilet because I am sick with it!
Cheese and butter likewise. Also spreads, they are poison to me!
I am a funny picky eater. That's why I was surprised to enjoyed my full fat Greek yoghurt, yesterday. If you are on a low carb diet like me it just limits your options even more!
Try clarified butter (ghee) and make lovely bearnaise or hollandaise. I'm very much a low carber, doing very low carbs, less then 10 grams per day.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Try clarified butter (ghee) and make lovely bearnaise or hollandaise. I'm very much a low carber, doing very low carbs, less then 10 grams per day.
I would have to try that. But if it reacts like butter! I must have had it cos I have ate a lot in Indian restaurants. Without knowing it!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nosher, although you say that you aren't lactose intolerant, it is interesting that you found Greek yoghurt OK to eat because it is one thing that many people with such an intolerance rather than an allergy can eat .

Greek yoghurt is actually comparatively low in lactose.
There are two factors that make it low
1) It (usually) contains live cultures including Lactobacillus bulgaricus. This expresses lactase (an enzyme) which degrades lactose
2) Most of the lactose in yoghurt is in the whey. This is strained off during the process of making this type of yoghurt .
It's one of the reasons why this sort of fermented milk is used in Asia and some Med Countries where many people are lactose intolerant.

(and to add to the trivia aged cheeses . Not far from where I live, the area was settled in late Paleo times by people arriving from the Eastern Med. DNA tests on their bones has found that they were lactose intolerant. It is clear that they were sheep and goat herders. It is thought that they probably fermented the milk for use ( yoghurt, kefir. for example) Some of their descendants are still herders because they are now famous for making Roquefort (a sheeps cheese) According to the link below aged Roquefort and other traditionally made aged cheeses contain very little lactose. (and 65% of people in Southern France are apparently still lactose intolerant )

http://www.chow.com/food-news/53922...erant-people-eat-some-cheeses-and-not-others/

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Phoenix that is very interesting!
It is unusual that I can eat Greek yoghurt. I have liked fruit yoghurt but not the fruitless muller lite type!
I just remember getting a little whilst on holiday in Greece and I could take it or leave it, anyway I shall try it again! I could never eat butter, marg, cheese and I rarely have milk but I am not classed as intolerant. I used to love cream when I was young but I can't touch it now cos the taste is YUK!
Im a fussy picky eater, it was fun with my dietician!!!!