Improve your HbA1c in 3 minutes

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Giving it a go.... 60 second plank certainly gets the heart pumping and tummy muscles working.... should be good, thanks for the post.

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Awesome effort here!:D:D:D

Just a quick note - @Dillinger, you've found that you can get raised BGs after having raised your heart rate. For anyone with Type 1 or for anyone else who injects/infuses insulin you can manage your BG back down. For anyone with T2 who gets this rise but doesn't inject, then just take a stroll for 15mins or so afterwards to help use up any glucose that your liver has released.

Way to go!! I'm going to have a go myself this morning - not sure how long my plank will last!....

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Smidge -- how did the swimming go? I agree that exercise is deeply boring -- that is why God created ipods. Diabetic Olympics is a nice idea -- synchronised insulin injections?

Swimming was good Desi - I've done 2 x 30 mins in the last week and 5 minutes a day (including weekends) on the cross-trainer - I didn't have time for more than 5 minutes, but I put the resistance up to level 3 (I usually wimp it with level 1!). Until yesterday I thought the results were going well - I've seen two 4.5s fasting this week which is great because I've been struggling to get single-figure fasting for weeks now - and I didn't need any rapid acting with my berries and yoghurt yesterday morning as I kept dropping low. Unfortunatley I seem to have had a reversal since yesterady evening when i hit 14.8 on the meter for no reason whatsoever - couldn't get it to come down whatever I jabbed. Anyway, I've thrown the half-used Apidra cartridge away and started a new one which seems to have done the trick. Keeping the insulin pens in a Frio cool bag now as I think they might have got too hot during yesterday. So, hopefully back on track.

I keep looking at those exercises Dillinger, but I can't get my head around how to do them! Never was much good at P.E. at school!

Smidge

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I keep looking at those exercises Dillinger, but I can't get my head around how to do them! Never was much good at P.E. at school!

Smidge

Well, those are just the ones I've settled on; your cross training thing sounds ideal. I guess you can do anything as long as you get out of breath and your heart rate goes nice and high.

Found it a bit of a chore to do them this morning but once you start they are over so quickly.

I had a higher fasting level this morning then I've been getting lately as well as I don't do these exercises over the weekend, which raises the terrible thought that I might need to do them every day...

Best

Dillinger

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I think a lot of people are getting higher morning BGs at the moment due to the hot and sticky weather.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my sons both returned from their hols at the weekend and I told them (separately) about these exercises. They were doubtful that I could even do them,,,,,so I showed them and they were both well impressed. My younger son had been doing them on holiday because one of his mates does them too......I now have a few variations of the plank to try! It's funny because while that son was at uni discovering low carb eating, I was at home doing the same thing, so we compared notes when he came home for hols....now we've done the same with exercise.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Ambition vs reality (well sometimes)

plank_006.jpg

elephant plank.jpg

Reactions: 12 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The elephant picture was posted on here a few months ago but I can't find it now - accompanied by a photo of a rather sveldt young lady.

I'm resting up from planking at the moment having pulled a muscle in my lower back (not sure if that was the planking or the rowing) but will get back to it soon. Meanwhile I can walk up stairs instead.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On waking this morning my BG was 6.5. Did 13 sec plank and 47 sec half plank, just couldn't cope with beginner burpees today so.... then 20 secs stair run, 15 sec stair run + 5 sec run then 20 sec run. BG 7.0 Then did 45 min walk (half brisk, half moderate) BG 7.1. Now I can sleep all day:)

Reactions: 7 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I didn't do anything from Friday to Monday as I was away for a long weekend (very nice thank you) and boy does it instantly show when starting again; I think the terrible fact may be that you have to keep doing these exercises or else the benefits evaporate like good intentions going into your favourite pub...

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't do anything from Friday to Monday as I was away for a long weekend (very nice thank you) and boy does it instantly show when starting again; I think the terrible fact may be that you have to keep doing these exercises or else the benefits evaporate like good intentions going into your favourite pub...

Best

Dillinger
Oh great....now you tell us!....:rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am in for planks and high intensity bike but can't do Burpees due to knees

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm having a rest from these for a while, but am attempting Pilates (not keen, but I'm trying, I've unwrapped the DVD) so that these exercises will be easier when I try to do them again. Best plank so far 15 seconds. I'll be back, even if you've all stopped doing them by then.

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
1.30 plank, pretty tough. My son needs a lift from the station so due to other factors i am going to offer him a backer, at least he is helping out

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
!'m getting a x3 1 mins with 1 min rests most mornings and some afternoons... going okay.... and gets the ticker going!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in for planks and high intensity bike but can't do Burpees due to knees

Same here, my left knee gives me problems due to a knee dislocation (OUCH!) years ago, and it's amazing how much knee injuries get in the way of nearly everything. So everybody with well-behaving knee joints, be really nice to them and keep them happy! :)

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There was a character in Catch 22, I forget which one, who did skeet shooting to make time pass slowly until his next mission because he hated skeet shooting. Planking does that for me, I've never known a minute take so long!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I seem to have hurt my pectoral muscle on the left hand side doing these exercises; so watch yourself (warming up is probably a sensible approach...)

Anyhow, I thought initially (of course) that it was a heart attack and quickly thereafter thought i) Oh no; I'll miss my kids growing up ii) what a stupid way to go and iii) this will badly affect the low-carb cause on here.

You should have seen the GP's face when I said I'm a Type 1 diabetic in my 40's with chest pains; nice to get such a quick response out of them...

Luckily, I am not currently ascending to take my rightful place in the heavens and can continue to support the low-carb world view.

Best Dillinger

Reactions: 11 people