Type 1 Diabetes/journalism career/disability

Kathryn321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was diagnosed with type 1 in Dec 2013. I've just completed my Broadcast Journalism MA and I'm looking for jobs.

I just wondered if others on here say they have a disability on job applications - many forms are just yes/no. To me diabetes isn't a disability, its more a condition but some sites e.g. BBC careers specifically list diabetes as a disability. I know employers are not meant to discriminate but in a competitive job market I'm worried having diabetes is another reason for them to bin my CV/application form.

In a broadcast career where I'll be rushing around, chasing news stories, doing interviews, working to strict deadlines, eating when I have the time I'm worried it will be an issue. It seemed to be when I was on work placement, I guess this might have just been for health and safety reasons. On some applications I've said I have it and then haven't on others.

x

C

catherinecherub

Plenty of advice here,

When to tell recruiters
It can be difficult to decide when to tell recruiters about your diabetes. The Equality Act now makes it unlawful for an employer to ask about the health of an applicant before offering them work. This is subject to specific identified exceptions, including where: the employer wishes to establish whether the applicant will need adjustments to be made, in connection with arrangements for the assessment process, the employer is asking for monitoring purposes, (but they must not use this information to discriminate against someone with a disability), the employer wants to improve disabled people’s chance of getting employment; the question asked is relevant to find out if the applicant can carry out tasks that are absolutely necessary to the job.

In some professions there are specific rules regarding certification and physical qualification and you will have to disclose your diabetes to be properly assessed. But for the most part, there is no legal requirement to disclose diabetes and the decision whether to tell an employer or prospective employer is up to the individual. However, if an employer does not know, and could not reasonable have been expected to know that you have diabetes, you may not be able to rely on the Equality Act if you feel you have been discriminated against.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Living_with_diabetes/Employment/

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well I've always ticked No but do tell them if asked elsewhere on the form. Although we are covered by the DDA I don't consider myself disabled in any way (I'm also type 1).

With sensible precautions your diabetes shouldn't effect your new career choice, Stephen Dixon from Sky news has type 1 diabetes.

Reactions: 4 people