Stupid idea by my boyfriend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Right so whenever me and my boyfriend are skint and I go low....he says us Diabetics should be given a special diabetes card to show in shops so we can get a free can of coke or something.....I have told him this would never happen as it is stupid...maybe?
And then when he read about that diabetic soldier who died because his money was stopped and couldn't eat...he said he should of had one....

But anyway just thought I'd share and see what others think!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its unlikely to happen, but a simple explanation of the situation is usually enough in my experience.......

its a good idea to get in the habit of always carrying hypo resolve..........I carry a 500ml bottle of isotonic sports drink, half of which will cover a hypo......you can buy a pack of 4 or 6 when you do your weekly, monthly shop......[I realize some folk go to the shop daily....]....

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Aprilb1967

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi NicolaAnn - I had a hypo yesterday as got delayed on way home - had only popped to the doctors down the road so just took my key. I was 5 when I left home but the exercise and heat brought me low. I went into the pharmacist where they know me and was immediately given a full sugar cola and has a sit down for 15 mins. I have never been refused if I've asked - although I live in a small seaside town - not sure if it would be different in a really big place though? Probably not though as I think if you spoke to someone they would see that you were not right. I I for one look a bit 'strange' when in hypo - pale, glassy, sweaty, shaky..... Generally unpleasant really! I think if diabetics had a card there are always a few who would abuse it and would go from place to place getting free food and drink!
Incredibly sad about the poor ex-soldier.... What a way to treat these amazingly brave citizens, eh? Now THEY should have a card to entitle them to some things for free for the rest of their lives. God bless him.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Hi NicolaAnn - I had a hypo yesterday as got delayed on way home - had only popped to the doctors down the road so just took my key. I was 5 when I left home but the exercise and heat brought me low. I went into the pharmacist where they know me and was immediately given a full sugar cola and has a sit down for 15 mins. I have never been refused if I've asked - although I live in a small seaside town - not sure if it would be different in a really big place though? Probably not though as I think if you spoke to someone they would see that you were not right. I I for one look a bit 'strange' when in hypo - pale, glassy, sweaty, shaky..... Generally unpleasant really! I think if diabetics had a card there are always a few who would abuse it and would go from place to place getting free food and drink!
Incredibly sad about the poor ex-soldier.... What a way to treat these amazingly brave citizens, eh? Now THEY should have a card to entitle them to some things for free for the rest of their lives. God bless him.

I think there has only been one time when I have got low with no money either....but I live in London, so i doubt it would happen with me! Boyfriend is just adamant that diabetics should get a card...bless!

And I know terrible isn't it! Even if he wasn't diabetic I still think it is terrible!

Aprilb1967

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is. The poor guy. Apparently many ex- soldiers struggle with metal and physical health problems that leave them unable to work. We should be looking after these heroes much better. X

Reactions: 8 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, I'll stick my neck out & say your boyfriends idea is pretty lame.... ;)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's not such a stupid idea, people with Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis carry cards so that they can ask businesses if they can use their toilet if caught out, I'm sure there's other conditions too that what warrant carrying a card.

I think the only downside is the tendency for it to be abused, say people photocopying the card and obtaining goods dishonestly, appreciate these incidents would be very few & far between but it would happen.

Anyway, one would hope that if anyone was low and went into a shop and explained the situation they would allow them to have a tin of coke, if it were me I wouldn't even charge them and put the money in the till myself.

As for the story of the soldier, that is so so so awful and should never have been allowed to happen, these decision makers need to look at the bigger picture before deciding to stop someone's benefits :mad:

Reactions: 10 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not such a stupid idea, people with Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis carry cards so that they can ask businesses if they can use their toilet if caught out, I'm sure there's other conditions too that what warrant carrying a card.

I think the only downside is the tendency for it to be abused, say people photocopying the card and obtaining goods dishonestly, appreciate these incidents would be very few & far between but it would happen.

The big difference here is that no-one will probably abuse a right to use a toilet (not a lot to "abuse" here... ;D ), but getting stuff for free is a different story.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The big difference here is that no-one will probably abuse a right to use a toilet (not a lot to "abuse" here... ;D ), but getting stuff for free is a different story.

Yes very true Paulina, but I was just trying to say that carrying cards for health issues isn't something new and wasn't a bad idea (provided it isn't abused).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think were all in danger of taking a cynical approach towards Nicolaann's partners well intentioned idea... Bless 'Im.
Its so easy to dismiss this concept as the ramblings of a fool...

Which it is...! :D

Reactions: 4 people

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My guess is that the powers that be would say: the NHS provides hypo gel on prescription for free to diabetics, so there's no need for a card - diabetics just need to carry the gel instead of asking for something in a shop to treat a hypo. Providing the gel directly to the patient is much simpler for the NHS than having to process dozens (or hundreds, or thousands?) of reimbursement requests from shop-owners each year for "emergency diabetic drinks" they've given away to hypo-ing diabetics.

For the times when it just isn't possible to carry gel or you run out and have no cash on you, I agree with the folks that say they'd expect most shops would "do the right thing" and help you out. It is a sweet thought, but I don't think a card is necessary.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you hypo in Waitrose / John Lewis they are superb. I had a hypo in there whilst with my mum 20years ago. My mum knowing I responded to milk and sugar best asked a member of staff if they could get a glass of it whilst she stayed with me.
Not only did I get a glass of milk and sugar they also gave my mum and me a free meal in their cafe...

I did have gluco tabs on me, but knew I hated themand despite needing them, my brain was telling me to spit them out as I hated them.

Found other sweets to keep with me after that episode. Well done John Lewis 20 years ago for helping me out in such a caring, wonderful way.

Loving life

Reactions: 6 people

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you can equate your circumstances with the death of the ex soldier who had diabetes and was receiving benefits.

It is a tragic story for any one to read here and it looks as though the poor man just gave up.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/killed-benefits-cuts-starving-soldier-3923771

There is a petition asking David Cameron to review benefits sanctions in the light of this case --> Petition. I've signed it because it appals me both as a diabetic and a father. My youngest son, who is autistic, is on benefits and one day he may get sanctioned because he doesn't always understand when and where he's meant to attend meetings.

Reactions: 5 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Yes he's stupid ... get another one.

Reactions: 4 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I posted on here about a lady who came into work when l was covering reception a few weeks ago. I gave her water (she requested) one of my glucotabs (more if needed but they weren't) told her to take her time recovering and a plastic glass of water to take away (as she requested)
I would have done similar for anyone who needed help as l am sure many would. No one needs cards etc just common sense...and dead bodies are not easy to dispose of the body man who goes round vets will only collect pets and wild animals.... we have asked him in the past to deal with husbands/partners who have annoyed the hell out of us but they won't