Help! I have so much weight to lose

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure you could use whatever you like. I have used drained tinned peaches in the days when I could eat them. I'm not great on quantities, but you just layer a grill proof dish with fruit of choice, then top with thick layer of creme Fraiche mixed with Greek yogurt, or use double cream if you prefer to CF, sprinkle with layer of brown sugar if you aren't as diabetic as me then brown under jot grill till top goes all melted and then chewy hard. I've not tried it with Splenda so not sure if that would brown at all. I have seen sites that put a layer of chopped nuts on top as a crunchy substitute. You could use a mixture of sugar substitute and a bit of say muscavado sugar to give you some of the sticky crunchiness and less carbs.
Yes, I could do that, couldn't I?

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
@zand do you like Indian food? I've got some great low carb low calorie easy to make recipes......

Reactions: 2 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I once sewed the legs of my jeans up so tight ( in the days before skinnies were fashionable) and getting into them was worthy of Houdini. I still have very flexible ankles.
This reminds me of a time, in the late 70s. I was working in Hull at the time and I played a prank on a colleague who used to cycle to and from the office we worked in. I sewed the bottoms of his jeans up during my lunch hour. He had a little trouble getting ready to cycle home ...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I'm not over keen on Indian, but it would make a change and that's what I need. I don't like pork (but I do like bacon!)or lamb or eggs or fishy fish. I like beef and chicken

Do you have a food processor or blender?

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ok, here goes (this isn't low calorie, but it is low carb) serves 4(ish) -
Ingredients -
List 1
2 green chillies (more if you like spicy food) roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic peeled
1 inch square (approx) piece of fresh ginger peeled and roughly chopped
750g full fat Greek yoghurt
1 teaspoon paprika
Half teaspoon of salt
1 green pepper seeded and roughly chopped

List 2
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
4 chicken breasts diced
2 tablespoons fresh coriander chopped (or 1 tablespoon of dried chopped coriander)

Method -
Put the List 1 ingredients, in the order they're written, into your food processor and process until it's a smooth sauce
From List 2, heat the oil in a high sided frying pan or sauté pan and add the chicken, fry until it is sealed (white all over)
Add the sauce from the food processor and stir well, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer
Simmer covered for about half an hour, and then uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, the sauce will thicken, you can leave it covered if you prefer a thinner sauce
Stir in the coriander and serve

Now, how easy was that? And delicious too :)

Plenty more where that came from, let me know if you're interested

Last edited by a moderator:

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yummy I do like cooking and have like 40 cooking books at home. I keep choosing recipes but then never do them. I have to admit it is hard work cooking dinner from scratch every night. Sometimes it just feels like I am cooking low carb stuff all the time

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yummy I do like cooking and have like 40 cooking books at home. I keep choosing recipes but then never do them. I have to admit it is hard work cooking dinner from scratch every night. Sometimes it just feels like I am cooking low carb stuff all the time

I love cooking, and I really enjoy trying new recipes.

I don't know your circumstances so apologies in advance if this is an impossible/stupid idea, but if you don't have the time or inclination to cook a fresh meal every night, why not cook them at the weekend and freeze them?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yeah I do that too. I think I just need to find something else to distract myself with so I am not thinking about diabetes and food all the time

It is a pain. Sometimes you wish ou could just buy something without having to analyse the contents but then at least what we eat is good quality food. It would be nice just to buy something and eat it without too much thought but then that's what got me into this mess in the first place! :rolleyes:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Morning Zand! Just going for walk! ;)

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning Zand and Scandi you early birds ! Let's hope today is a better day for all of us . Going to try and get in my pool for a bit of exercise as hubby says that's what they do to horses with bad legs ! Don't know where he gets the comparison unless he means I have been eating like one lately !

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning Connie. Thank you for being there for me. Yes let's have a better day today:)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, so I woke up too late to go for a walk (I like to be here when hubby is getting up and ready for work) Now I'm tearful because you're all being so nice and caring and helpful.

@semiphonic thanks for that......I probably won't get around to trying the recipe for just over a week, 'cos I've got heaps to do and then I'm away for a few days. Now that you've gone to the trouble of telling me it, I will definitely try it. Thank you for being so kind and supportive. There's absolutely no reason why I couldn't find the time to prepare good food for myself. I don't work and yes I could cook in bulk and freeze stuff.......... but I don't. I don't really mind cooking either, but other stuff gets in the way and I'm not a tidy worker, so I don't like the mess I make when I'm cooking. I don't like the mess I make when I'm doing anything.