Is there any carn intake requirement before 3 months Test???

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, i am soon having next 3 months follow up blood test for diabetese after being diagnosed. I am in moderate carb intake 50-100gm per day these days with excercise.. I read about certain carb intake for 5 hrs GT for some hypo case or something and it made me to post question if i need to consider carb intake before test...

Shall appreciate your kind advises and guidance...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I know, the only test that requires "carbing up" is an oral glucose tolerance test. A1c would not require this.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's very unusual. Normally the 3 month test is an HbA1c test.

I've read that for an OGTT you should eat at least 150g of carbohydrates for 3 days prior to the test to get an accurate response. The explanation for why is available on Dr Eades blog: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/low-carb-caveat/

"Following a low-carb diet makes one a little glucose intolerant, which is the reason that the instructions for a glucose tolerance test always include the admonition to eat plenty of carbs in the week before the test. Why? Because all the macronutrients–glucose, fat and protein–are broken down by enzymes during the metabolic process. And all the enzymes necessary for the metabolism of the various macronutrients are made on demand but not immediately. If you are on a high carbohydrate diet, then you will have plenty of enzymes on hand to deal with the carbohydrates you consume. If you switch to a low-carbohydrate diet, it takes a while to manufacture the enzymes in the quantities needed to deal with the extra fat and protein that your metabolic system hadn’t been exposed to. This deficiency of protein/fat metabolizing enzymes is the reason people starting a low-carb diet become so easily fatigued–they’ve got plenty of enzymes on hand to break down carbs, they just don’t have the carbs to metabolize. Once they produce the enzymes necessary to deal with the load of protein and fat, which takes a few days, they become low-carb adapted and no longer feel fatigued."

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Indy51- what happened was i Was on follow up
Monitoring after my GD and then my HbA1c was 6 and not above but when they took OGTT it came poaitive for T2. So GP wanted to do again OGTT, I was never told before of this carb intake or may be they assume that normal diet will contain that.. So this time i wanted to do it right... Thanks so much for your advise

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Were you already on a lower carb diet when you had your last test? I guess that might have explained the variance between the two types of results in that case.

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well not that strict I am now; i used to have carb. But now i have reduced massively and and have more knowledge on carb count but not at that point though i was on reduced carb after GD to prevent T2 but i was not advised before what sort of diet i am following and all.. But said to fast and not to eat anything after 10pm.. Wouldnt have make difference though; GP had said 3 months follow up may be as you are saying, ot ahould be HBA1c only...

Faithhope

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Indy51- it sounded so great to hear positive comments as I have been trying my best but when somebody says that; i realised it felt great!!! Thanks heaps.. Hopefully my report gives me some good news too as i am thinking if everything comes alright then to plan my second baby...