strange readings

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Joepat, can you clarify please? Are you saying you test on 2 meters and they are going in different directions from what you normally see?

jim

Joepat

Yes Jim. My clinic is trying to make me use a cheaper meter.. My USB reads, typically 10mmols whereas the GlucoRX reads 16mmols. They can't both be correct.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
do you get this sort of difference each time?

jim

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. The readings are consistently diverse. The trouble is I use the USB figure to assess the amount of insulin I take and you can see the problem here: too much or too little.

Are you type 1?

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So the GlucoRX is the one given to you by the surgery. I have one of those with no problems but am not comparing it against anything. Have you used the control solution supplied with it to see whether it is within the 6.2 to 9.3 control range?

jim

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ring the maker and ask them to send out a control test solution
And change battery in the old meter

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been down this road - the tech manufacturers cover their own bums but stipulating really W I D E tolerances and fail to admit different batches of test strips give different results even on the same machines. Add this to the +/- 15% they rate the actual strips at and it all ends up vauguesville.

BP meters are the same level of annoying rubbish (In my opinion)

Also ...
I just started to check Lipids with a mission 3 in 1 meter (tot,hdl,trig)
and although its has stable results they are so far different to my actual lab tests :¬(

I just have to live with it :¬( is my only solution

take all readings as "Kind of in the ballpark if your lucky on a fine day" :¬(

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...e-lite-test-strips-new-range-of-values.60630/

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a cheap Gluco RX (tenner in Boots, 2 years ago). It tested consistently much higher than my freestyle lite. I dumped it.

If you want another quick cross check, a lot of chemists offer an on the spot finger prick test. Ask for one as a comparison with both of your meters.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always treat my readings as showing trends i.e., before/after meals and one day with the next. I never assume any particular reading on its own is significant.

jim

Joepat

Both meters tested with control solution and both within range. The USB right in the middle of the range and the gluco right at the top end.
My last hba1c was 9.1 and all the readings taken over 9 months on the usb formed the response by my diabetic doctor/nurse to those figures.
I have been testing and injecting insulin 4 times a day over the 9months and if the gluco is right, it makes a complete mockery of all my efforts.

I cannot believe that the much higher levels on the gluco would give an hba1c of 9.1.

joepat