Diabetic ice cream

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed and I have been keeping my blood sugar relatively normal which I was pleased about. I decided to treat myself to some diabetic ice cream as it has been so hot and I was so shocked to see what it did to my blood sugar the reading before dinner was about 5 and after 11.3!!! I won't be bothering with it again what is the point of making ice cream like that! I'm fed up now :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
SOunds like a standard sugar spike to me - happens with regular pop and anything that has sugar in it (most sugar free junk has nothing to it so spikes you and then drops you, its why the real stuff in moderation is a better option in most cases.

I love a good soy ice cream limited spike (low GI) and works for me

Reactions: 2 people

susie r

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I've just bought an ice cream maker In the vain hope that I can make my own and keep my BG down does anyone have a good recipe or know of a web site where I can fine one. We have a glut of Worcester berries at the moment so thought I'd experiment with them. Thank you

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've just bought an ice cream maker In the vain hope that I can make my own and keep my BG down does anyone have a good recipe or know of a web site where I can fine one. We have a glut of Worcester berries at the moment so thought I'd experiment with them. Thank you

Coincidentally, this arrived in my inbox yesterday. I haven't tried it, and unlikely to, as I'm not a great pudding fan, but here goes:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-frozen-custard-ice-cream-sort-recipe.html

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morrisons stocks "diabetic ice cream". The carb count is high so best not bought.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A lot of diabetic foods use sugar alcohols such as maltitol instead of sugar. They still have a very high carb content and can cause diarrhea. Always check the ingredients in diabetic foods and only go for those that use artificial sweeteners such as canderel, sucralose etc

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Anything labelled 'diabetic' stay well clear of.

The Wall's Mini Milk ice lolly are really good for an occasional treat, each one has 5g of carbs.

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I am newly diagnosed and I have been keeping my blood sugar relatively normal which I was pleased about. I decided to treat myself to some diabetic ice cream as it has been so hot and I was so shocked to see what it did to my blood sugar the reading before dinner was about 5 and after 11.3!!! I won't be bothering with it again what is the point of making ice cream like that! I'm fed up now :(

Ice-cream
Per person:
100g frozen berries or cherries
100ml double cream
1tsp sweetner

Blitz berries in food processor till in tiny pieces. Add cream and sweetner. Blitz till ice-cream. You cannot freeze this so eat immediately!

Reactions: 6 people
C

catherinecherub

Was it Frank's diabetic ice cream?

A charity has blasted an ice cream company after discovering its diabetic products could have a more detrimental effect on the health of people with diabetes than normal ice cream.

X-PERT Health, a charity which offers education course to people with diabetes through the NHS, researched the nutritional values of Frank's Diabetic Strawberry Ice Cream after receiving a letter from a concerned participant who had recently attended its diabetes self-management programme.

The nutritional information provided on the diabetic strawberry ice cream manufactured by Frank's, which is an approved NHS supplier, shows that it contains 19.7g of carbohydrate per 100g, which could significantly raise blood glucose levels among diabetics, compared to 16.2g in the normal ice cream tested - Soft Scoop Neopolitan Ice Cream.
http://www.education-magazine.co.uk...cose_Levels_Says_Diabetes_Charity-a-1862.html

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was it Frank's diabetic ice cream?

A charity has blasted an ice cream company after discovering its diabetic products could have a more detrimental effect on the health of people with diabetes than normal ice cream.

X-PERT Health, a charity which offers education course to people with diabetes through the NHS, researched the nutritional values of Frank's Diabetic Strawberry Ice Cream after receiving a letter from a concerned participant who had recently attended its diabetes self-management programme.

The nutritional information provided on the diabetic strawberry ice cream manufactured by Frank's, which is an approved NHS supplier, shows that it contains 19.7g of carbohydrate per 100g, which could significantly raise blood glucose levels among diabetics, compared to 16.2g in the normal ice cream tested - Soft Scoop Neopolitan Ice Cream.
http://www.education-magazine.co.uk...cose_Levels_Says_Diabetes_Charity-a-1862.html

Hi yes it was Frank's diabetic ice cream the vanilla one

mpe

The big problem with "ice cream" is that it covers just about everything from actual frozen whipped cream to frozen, watered down, soft margarine.
Added to which "diabetic food" appears to sometimes mean "food intended to help make people diabetic".
Presumably this was the only thing you ate between the two readings

mpe

Unfortunatly they didn't give a beakdown of how much of that 19.7% was glucose, fructose and maltodextrin. Nor did they give any carbohydrate breakdown of the "nomal".
A guess would be that the normal was higher in "sugars" (mono and disacharides) but lower in actual sugars (hexoses). Possibly considerably lower in glucose. Calling glucose "dextrose" is a fairly common food industry "trick".
In virtually all cases the "total carbohydrate" is the number to use as a guide. Only if these are identical then that with the HIGHER "sugar" content will contain the least total sugars (and the least glucose). (There are quite literally more sugar molecules per gram in "starch" than anything called a "sugar" on a food label.)

Zoe king

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi

Zoe king

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi have you tried googling it,I find it carries a lot of good answers.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should stay well, well clear of Diabetic foods and products. Like what the others have said, it just raises your blood sugar.

I usually only have food outside meals and eleven and three/four o'clock because its the time where my blood sugar should be the lowest, and its when I have breaks from school.

Also, it takes you twenty minutes to digest food, so if you're worried about your blood-sugar, you should check an hour and a half/two hours after having a snack, and only have that snack if you're blood-sugar is at an acceptable level. I know I won't be the same as everyone else, in this regard, but my blood-sugar follows a pattern as long as I stick to the same meal-times and insulin measure.

And in regards to your blood-sugar after the treadmill session, you need to keep an eye on your blood-sugar during exercise - check before, every fifteen minutes, then afterwards regardless of how good it was. Also check maybe twenty minutes after, as I've had higher blood-sugar than before after exercise, that I think might be adrenaline (still haven't checked out the possible reason, actually).

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Try this

Chocolate Ice cream...

250g dark choc
4 egg yokes
300ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp whiskey
60g butter (unsalted)

melt choc and then stir in yokes
cream butter and mix into choc
whisk cream until stiff add whiskey and vanilla ess
fold cream into choc mix

line loaf tin with cling film or use individual ramekins
pour mixture in and freeze (about 6 to 8 hours) in an air tight container or bag
No need to stir during freezing process

Depending on choc content can be quite bitter.

Serve however you want - watch the calories...

You can also add crushed hazelnuts (replace the whiskey with ameretto) ....

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Try this

Chocolate Ice cream...

250g dark choc
4 egg yokes
300ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp whiskey
60g butter (unsalted)

melt choc and then stir in yokes
cream butter and mix into choc
whisk cream until stiff add whiskey and vanilla ess
fold cream into choc mix

line loaf tin with cling film or use individual ramekins
pour mixture in and freeze (about 6 to 8 hours) in an air tight container or bag
No need to stir during freezing process

Depending on choc content can be quite bitter.

Serve however you want - watch the calories...

You can also add crushed hazelnuts (replace the whiskey with ameretto) ....
Will definitely be trying this! Yum:D